a

Status
Not open for further replies.
That all depends on what your motherboard, power supply, and cpu are. For a pair that's $166 each which is a bargain. But you might be able to benefit from it if your other components are dated or you don't have the PSU. These things still eat power.

Looking to upgrade my old video card setup and noticed some 980Ti's selling for the equivalent of about $332 USD for a pair. Is this still a good deal or should I pass the 980Ti and wait for Vega/1080Ti or even just get a 1080 and stop there? Resolution will be on a 1440P monitor with high graphical settings.

Wtf, where you find 980tis for 332 a pair????

I was running a 980ti up until a month ago and loved that card. It was in my 6700k rig that plays at 1440p and I ran high/ultra settings on most games without any issues. GTA 5 would hiccup a little but I get that with the 1080 as well.

The only reason I moved to the 1080 was to run the Vive. The 1080 is great but haven't seen a huge jump from the 980ti performance wise, except for VR. I do like how cool and quiet the card is.

It is only a few weeks until CES to see IF any new GPU's will be announced so if you can wait a few months then do. You should be able to find 980ti's under $332. At $332 and you need the card now go with a 1070 as others have said.

Any particular reason for SLI? I haven't really been impressed with SLI the last few gens, especially for the money.

It's a typo. Meant to post $332 each but it is being sold as a pair.

My thoughts as well but the 1070 costs more in an SLI setup and it's only 6% faster on average if we use reference vs reference. I could always try and bargain him down if it would be worth it then I would be looking at maybe 295 USD per card.
Are you hell bent on having TWO graphics cards for some reason? SLI is only a good option if there aren't any faster cards for you to upgrade to.

If you've really got $600 to burn, look at a 1080.

At max overclock a 980Ti will be a touch faster than a 1070. That presumes that you'll get a 980Ti that will clock insanely good (1500+). A 1070, almost no matter what card you get, will boost between 1800 and 2100 assuming you keep the card at or below 52 C (the first down-step occurs here with Boost 3.0). If you wander over to the VR section of this site, 980Tis are putting in a slightly better performance than a 1070, on average. (My decision to get a 1070 over a decent price on a 980Ti came down to better potential performance in DX12 and much lower power draw -- my wife and I have a card each so power draw matters when more cards are involved.)

If you have the cash to splurge on a SLI 980Ti setup, I'd suggest going to a 1080. It will be better in VR and in any situation where SLI is not supported (either at all or at poor SLI scaling).

If your setup is good and you're just itching for an upgrade, wait a few more months. Vega is almost certainly going to land within the next 6 months (first half of 2017 as per AMD) and possibly Volta from nVidia will land as well (this is my own belief that it's also 1H 2017). Unless you're insanely rich, money spent now is money you may regret spending when new cards are essentially just around the corner.

Wtf, where you find 980tis for 332 a pair????
it was kinda obvious he meant each card

At max overclock a 980Ti will be a touch faster than a 1070. That presumes that you'll get a 980Ti that will clock insanely good (1500+). A 1070, almost no matter what card you get, will boost between 1800 and 2100 assuming you keep the card at or below 52 C (the first down-step occurs here with Boost 3.0). If you wander over to the VR section of this site, 980Tis are putting in a slightly better performance than a 1070, on average. (My decision to get a 1070 over a decent price on a 980Ti came down to better potential performance in DX12 and much lower power draw -- my wife and I have a card each so power draw matters when more cards are involved.)

If you have the cash to splurge on a SLI 980Ti setup, I'd suggest going to a 1080. It will be better in VR and in any situation where SLI is not supported (either at all or at poor SLI scaling).

If your setup is good and you're just itching for an upgrade, wait a few more months. Vega is almost certainly going to land within the next 6 months (first half of 2017 as per AMD) and possibly Volta from nVidia will land as well (this is my own belief that it's also 1H 2017). Unless you're insanely rich, money spent now is money you may regret spending when new cards are essentially just around the corner.

Pretty sure a OC 1070 does not beat an OC 980TI from what i recall. I would want to see a 1500mhz 980TI vs a 2100mhz 1070 in a benchmark to believe it. I am pretty sure the 980TI from the past reviews i saw was faster.

I ended up finding a 980TI for around 325 about a month ago and have no regrets. I also needed the analog output as well so that was a big factor for me going in.

We got our 1070s about 5 months ago and don't regret that decision at all. But my wife and I were using the built-in iGPU for our systems so for us it was somewhat of an urgent need so waiting for Vega/Volta wasn't a realistic endeavor.

The 1080Ti is rumored to be releasing soon but realistically I don't see nVidia releasing it until Vega is about to be released (similar to how the 980Ti came out just before the Fury X release). If the rumored performance of the 1080Ti is correct (on par with the Titan XP) I don't see nVidia willingly castrating itself by releasing it and undercutting Titan XP sales. But that's just my opinion for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back