A youtube downloader that actually works client side?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I'm sick of these youtube downloaders that are web based and then go out of business or just stop working.

Is there not an app I can download and install to my PC? All the ones I find are web based. I want to be able to get youtube videos in AVI and FLV format.

Sweet thanks, that looks like a pretty cool app.

I was finding a lot on google but hard to tell what to trust and what not to trust these days.

If you're using Firefox, the Greasemonkey script "YouTube Video Downloader" from UserScripts.org (there are several, the specific one I'm talking about can be found here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/62634) has always worked for me.

Usually if YouTube changes something to stop it from working, the developer (rossi) is on it within a day or two. Never had problems using it and it adds a button with a drop down menu to select which format/resolution you'd like, as this picture I just snapped shows:

ytvd.png

It's just an option if you're a Firefox user. I used to use KeepVid.com till they moved to a commercial format, and all the other web-based ones never seem to last - but the OP already figured that out. ;)

What I am using is the youtube downloader from Sothink, and I am very satisified with the software. There are two editions for the video downloader actually: one is the stand-alone version, which supports many browsers but needs to be paid for the full version, and the other one is the Firefox extension, which is a free youtube downloader but only supporrs Firefox.

Last edited:
Internet Download Manager if I ever need to download a video from youtube or vimeo, but I refuse to do it and always try my best to find the source before it was uploaded and raped quality wise.

I have been using atube which works with a number of sites and can convert the flash movie to other formats as well.

Back