A XP-90 VS Dual-core pipe heatsink

If your worried. Just get a tape measure with standard and metric. It should measure 8cm across. I've had 2 of the Opty/X2 heatsinkd and they were both 80mm.

Mine is definitely 80mm. Ive never seen any 90mm. Ive also sold 5 of these heatsinks. They were all 80mm as well. Id love to see a pic for a 90mm one. :p

I see why people dislike the XP-90 and I'm not going to say it's bad, because for the users with single core A64's it will make a difference. From going from the stock HSF to the XP-90 it dropped my temps from 33 idle to 29 idle and 44 load to 41 load. Doesn't seem like much but it looks sexy and it's pretty cheap.

Lol for everyone dumping on the XP-90, try to remember how long that was available and when these heat-pipe hsf's became available. XP-90's, if my memory serves me correctly, have been available for nearly 1.5 years. What about these heatpipe hsfs? Certainly not as long.

And when people say these are "stock" hsfs, that really makes me laugh. You want to see stock, go see what the S754 and early Winchester adopters had to use. Those are "stock" hsfs. Dual-core & Opty/FX hsfs are what I call "exotics"...hardly mainstream or stock.

I brought from this ebay seller twice. First time for $8/unit + ship. A day later, he insisted on selling it for $9/unit + ship and he said that he's moving the price up to $15/unit.

SJetski71 said:
They're pretty rare now and the prices have jumped a bit.

As mentioned by wrangler above, you want the AMD cooler with four heatpipes protruding out from the same side....and it has to have the H shaped copper base. There's a guy on ebay selling the similar older/inferior model so don't be fooled. Here's a link to the similar but wrong X2 heatsink...notice it does not have an H shaped copper base ;). Here's a link to a merchant selling the correct X2 heatsink, BTW, that merchant accepted a "best offer" of $8 last week....not sure if he's still willing to sell it for $8 any longer though.

Ebay search terms i've used to locate the good X2 heatsink: "AMD X2" or "Original AMD" etc etc... you get the idea ;)

Ill have one for sale for $20 shipped on monday if anyone wanted one. :p

i paid $20 for mine. i dont feel gipped at all for paying such a high price because it brought down my temps from ~40 idle and 46 load to mid 20's idle and no more than 32 load. im not sure how true it is, but im assuming if i were to try and claim with my warrantee i'd be better off with the amd hsf than an xp90.

buzzly said:
I brought from this ebay seller twice. First time for $8/unit + ship. A day later, he insisted on selling it for $9/unit + ship and he said that he's moving the price up to $15/unit.
He accepted my $12.95 best offer. Reasonable enough. Fedex may have lost the XP-90 I had ordered, so I ordered this as a hedge. Thanks for the link...

Just find out that the AMD 4 heatpipe heatsink can be "pressed" down low enough for my Mobile Oakville chip using the mounting bracket (s754). That's a CPU without the heatspreader. I was using a Zalman 7000B with the Zalman mounting posts.

It seems like the AMD stock heatpipe heatsink works slightly better than my old Zalman. WIth the fan set @ 1000rpm and case fan 1300rpm, it idles at 25c and prime @ 39c. Cool.

Even though I have an XP-90 I just grabbed one of these babies from ebay, just under $21 shipped. BIN price was $15.95 and I offered $10.

If I don't like the temps or the noise I'll put it in the FS section and move on to a Ninja.

Anybody converted to a 120mm fan on the four pipe Opty/X2 cooler yet? I'm curious about results.

superkdogg said:
Anybody converted to a 120mm fan on the four pipe Opty/X2 cooler yet? I'm curious about results.

Me too. I hope they report the temps before, as well as after, the conversion

wrangler said:

Antec wants $9 to ship this freaking fan. Anybody know where to get one cheaper? I'd like to order this little setup today and compare the results. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, found it at Newegg for half the price .

Edit Edit: So it appears newegg doesnt carry 80mm to 120mm fan adapters, and SVC is out of stock on the 120mm fan. Anybody know where I can buy both of them from? I'd like to avoid placing two separate orders if possible.

Me and wrangler are in the process of doing so. I think he said his adapter will be delivered to him today maybe tomorrow. Mine should be about the same. We will let ya know. :p

Btw you can get the 80-120mm adapter from svc.com for $5.50 total shipped if you do first class shipping. I got the red one myself. :)

superkdogg said:

You can also try to "shim" the 80mm fan with, say, another broken fan bracket (fan in the center removed) to eliminate the dead spot in the center. The fan would work much better without the dead spot.

Retsam said:
Me and wrangler are in the process of doing so. I think he said his adapter will be delivered to him today maybe tomorrow. Mine should be about the same. We will let ya know. :p

Btw you can get the 80-120mm adapter from svc.com for $5.50 total shipped if you do first class shipping. I got the red one myself. :)

Wrangler got his in and tested. It looks like with the 80mm-120mm fan adapter with a 120mm fan on the stock heatpipe sink, brought his temps from 42-43C load down to 37-38C load. So theres the verdict. Thats quite a difference for a $5.50 fan adapter and of course a 120mm fan. Not bad! Not to mention of course a 120mm fan is going to be quieter.

Early observations:
This is only with Bios load and also some readings coming out of Memtest86.
I know it's not exactly dual prime but here you go.
Also remember that this is with brand new uncured AS5.
While in the bios, temp was climbing to 42-43C after sitting there just watching the health screen for 10-15 minutes. Pretty normal. Let it run through a round of memtest to put some kind of additional load on the cpu and enabled quick boot which puts you back at setup with this MSI board in seconds and no difference. 42-43C.
Not bad but I was hoping for something better. I start looking around this new weird bios (AMI) and I finally find fan control and it's running my fan at 800 RPM because it defaults to some smart fan setting. I disable that setting and reboot and now it's reporting my fan @ 1850-1900 RPM and badabing....37-38C with Bios load for as long as I want to leave it. Run memtest and pop out real quick and it's 39C and drops quickly to fluctuate between 37-38C.
My guess is that once I get windows loaded and can truly idle the cpu it should idle somewhere in the very low 30's. Most of the computers I've ever had would bios load about 7-8C higher than true idle.

I will do some extensive testing in a couple days when my harddrive gets back but it looks really good so far. My only tips would be to uninstall the AMD fan off of the heatsink, then install the heatsink, then install the adapter while it's sitting on the board and then lastly, bolt the 120 on top of the whole thing.
IT is so quiet too. I am tempted to see if theres a 90-100CFM 120mm with rpm monitoring out there thats not rated too much higher on the db scale than this Antec Pro fan I'm using.

Thats all I know now. More later.

Afterthought. I know this isn't a real before and after, but the 120mm fan running at 800 rpm is probably a good approximation of the 35-40 cfm that I'm guessing the stock fan puts out.

If the AS5 gives me it's customary 2-3C improvement over time then we're talking 27-28C idel temps with room temp at approximately 24C. Thats pretty damn good if it happens. For me, it was only the expense of the adapter as I have fans all over the place. (Well, I guess I bought em at one time so not really free or anything like that) But even if you have to spend 5.50 on the adapter and then even if you want to go 20-25 bucks for a real nice Panaflo 90-100 cfm fan, it could still end up being half the price of the top end air coolers and I can't stress enough how much more air your getting to this thing at way lower sound levels compared to an 80mm. Anybody ever heard an 80mm Tornado @ 120cfm. It's no contest.

I bought an XP-90C when I had my 3700+ San Diego. Even OC'ed to 2.7GHz @ 1.45V, full load temps never went about 48°C (and I live in the Southern California desert with windows and door closed).

Seeing as how I had to remove the stock bracket that came with my A8N-SLI to install the XP-90C, I was not about to remove the mobo again to change the bracket back. Besides, my Opteron 165 is OEM, and didn't come with a fancy heatsink. :p

Say, how hard is the installation of the XP-90? I have a new one sitting here that I ordered before reading this thread and getting the AMD. I was gonna sell or return the XP-90, but I figure I'll keep it for another build, since it fits a lot of configurations. A quick look at it makes me think that an in-case installation would not be as easy as the stock HSF. Is that about right?

Its definitely not as easy as the stock hsf heh. But its not that hard. Put the bracket on. Latch one side, then pull the other side down and latch it. Done. :p Getting it off is probably harder. :p

Yeah, removing the XP-90 is a bit harder; there's not much room between the PSU and bracket clip with my mobo (A8N-SLI). YMMV on differing mobos.

Wow, those are some impressive results with the pipe heatsink...Good job Retsam and Wrangler on the test, keep the results coming! Can't wait till I get test mines!

Does anyone know if the 92mm high-speed Panaflow fan that came with the XP-90 will fit the stock cooler?

RE/ the 80 to 120 adaptor trick: I read somewhere (could have been a link in this thread... yes, my memory is about shot) that better temps were achieved with the 120mm fan pulling air AWAY from the HS instead of pushing air into it. Anyone care to confirm or dispel this rumor?

Dennis Gordon said:
Does anyone know if the 92mm high-speed Panaflow fan that came with the XP-90 will fit the stock cooler?
No it wouldnt fit. But they make 80mm to 92mm fan adapters as well you know. :p

RE/ the 80 to 120 adaptor trick: I read somewhere (could have been a link in this thread... yes, my memory is about shot) that better temps were achieved with the 120mm fan pulling air AWAY from the HS instead of pushing air into it. Anyone care to confirm or dispel this rumor?
Thats definitely not true. Ive seen some people mount theirs the wrong way like that, and their temps were far higher than normal.

ho72 said:
iirc, somebody did that with one of the Thermaltake towers and got better results with a "pull" than a "push." They attributed it to blowing the hot exhaust air right out of the case, lowering system temps as well. I never saw anybody try it with any of the standard shaped heatpipe coolers.

For some reason I'm thinking it was Madshrimps.

I still have yet to get my fan adapter. I hope my results are the same as wranglers ;p

Well my stock AMD heat pipe came today to replace my stock 3800 cooler. Slapped it on and also replaced my generic Radio Shack goo with some AS5. So far not much change in OC ceiling, maybe 100mhz, but CPU temp has dropped 5+ degrees, so I'm not complaining...

One odd thing (maybe not) I notice in Speedfan that with the new cooler, my temps have dropped by 5 degrees, but my one recorded fan speed has dropped by 10%. I don't have it set on auto and it's at 100%. Is that BIOS controlled? I've disabled smart fan

Are you using the same fan on both heatsinks? Is the fan speed you're recording the CPU fan?

If you got the whole assembly (heatsink+fan) this wouldn't be unusual at all. The newer cooler might just have a bit slower fan.

Other thing is that in my experience, A64's are not usually temp limited OC'ers. Obviously liquid nitrogen, dry ice, etc. will allow for crazy OC's, but my A64's have not done any better or worse on stock air cooling than on good air cooling. That being said, I am glad that I now can run 2.7 with load temps of 40C than with load temps around 55C like with my stock cooler (the cheaper s939 all aluminum plain one), so the upgrade was definitely worth it.

Well it looks like the same AMD stock 80mm fan that was on the old cooler, but maybe it's not. I uess I could swap 'em, but since the new HSF is doing the trick, and presumably will improve over the next week or so, I might as well leave it where it is...

Dennis Gordon said:
Well it looks like the same AMD stock 80mm fan that was on the old cooler, but maybe it's not. I uess I could swap 'em, but since the new HSF is doing the trick, and presumably will improve over the next week or so, I might as well leave it where it is...

The stock aluminium cooler use a 70mm fan ;)

I ordered mine today so I cannot wait to get the same results as others. Even if overclocking isn't improved that much, reduction in temps usually help for the durability and stability at least.

ZZF has had my harddrive for 2 days and they still say their processing. *sigh* No chance of testing true idle and load this weekend.

Retsam is going to have to be the man.

The new fan is supposed to have a thermister to control fan speed (it's a little green blob on two wires that comes out near the fan's hub). I read that the max rpm of the new fan is 5000 and mine registers about 2700, even when Speedfan reports the CPU temp at 63C under dual instances of Prime95. Makes me wonder how hot the CPU has to be to make the revs go up. Also makes me wonder if my reported temps are accurate.

Heh. Well wrangler, I still have yet to see my cc charged from svc for the adapter. They dont bother to email you either when it ships so its impossible to tell when Ill get it. Its been like 3 days now though. : /

ho72 said:
The new fan is supposed to have a thermister to control fan speed (it's a little green blob on two wires that comes out near the fan's hub). I read that the max rpm of the new fan is 5000 and mine registers about 2700, even when Speedfan reports the CPU temp at 63C under dual instances of Prime95. Makes me wonder how hot the CPU has to be to make the revs go up. Also makes me wonder if my reported temps are accurate.
Yeah mine's showing 2637. The 3800x2 fan was at about 3000. I guess it's irrelevant if my temps are staying under 40 with 1.55v. Definitely a step up from the other one...

My stupid adapter shoud be here tomorrow. It actually says it was delivered today. Im hoping thats a mistake, because I didnt get it lol. Should be in mail tomorrow im sure. :p

Back