A XP-90 VS Dual-core pipe heatsink

Blehh

Limp Gawd
What do you guys think? I've heard that the stock X2 pipe heatsinks are better than the XP-90 (non-copper), is this true? The X2 pipe heatinks seem pretty amazing, just by their looks, they look similar to a big typhoon's design...

they dont cool better but do the same job as the xp90 and cost less and i dont see the resemblance of the big typhoon in the stock x2 cooler

I'm trying to find out if the X2 heatsink will work on Socket 754 cause I wanna ditch my XP-90

CRXican said:
I'm trying to find out if the X2 heatsink will work on Socket 754 cause I wanna ditch my XP-90
first of all, why would you wanna ditch a xp90 for the x2 heatsink? theres no cooling performance gained there and socket 754 and 939 both use the same mounting method so the x2 heatsink will work fine

N H O said:
first of all, why would you wanna ditch a xp90 for the x2 heatsink? theres no cooling performance gained there and socket 754 and 939 both use the same mounting method so the x2 heatsink will work fine
The X2 heatsink is OEM, it's cool and my XP-90 sucks for the hype it gets. Either that or my 3700+ is a furnace.

I ditched my xp-90 for the copper heatpipe sink. :p I got mine for free and it cooled the exact same as the xp-90. Also my panaflo I had on the xp-90 was 3500 rpm, which is insanely loud. My amd stock heatpipe sink is SILENT @ 2500rpm(default speed) and cools identical. Theres no reason in my mind to buy an xp-90. If I were to buy a heatsink, it would have to be an scythe ninja, SI-120 or big typhoon or something along those lines. :p The xp-90 is just outdated now.

One thing though, is the xp-90 cools around the cpu(ie mem and northbridge) where as the stock heatsink doesnt. Something to think about maybe.

Since I'm expecting an XP90 tomorrow, can I presume that it _will_ be an improvement of the the stock 3800x2 HSF, which is not as fancy as the higher models. I don't want to hassle trying to get it in a crowded case if it ain't gonna help...

I have an XP-90C and opteron 170. The dual core opteron I have gets way to hot to run at 1.55v. Right now I I have it at 2650 @ 1.47v and get about 48c load. Swtiching the voltage to just 1.55v I will go above 55C load. It's not stable at anything higher than 2650 with up to 1.6v. Heat is definitely an issue but I'm not sure if it's the main issue for stability. So the XP-90 might cool better but overall it might be useless next to the stock HS since these opterons have a high heat/low oc gap.

FYI: I haven't used the stock heatsink. I purchased this XP-90C for my 3500+ venice a few months back so I don't know how they compare.

That's good to know. I have a 170 that I put in last week, running on 2550 and 1.55v. The temps indicate about 40C, but I've heard that the 9NPA+ sensors are not to be believed. My hope is to replace the Radio Shack goo with some AS5 and add the XP-90, and bring the temps down 5 degrees, regardless of what they actually are. Of course, if 2.55 is the limit on this chip, then it doesn't make much difference...

Is the fan on the stock X2 and Opteron units particularly loud? And what arew the CFM and DB ratings on the stock fan?

I am wondering if I should consider replacing it with a high quality 80 mm fan, or leave it stock.

I've been saying for a long time how XP90 was totally overrated, but no one believed me.

Absolute0 said:
I've been saying for a long time how XP90 was totally overrated, but no one believed me.

Well it was the best(bang for $) hsf before amd came out with these sexy stock heatsinks, now its just pointless I guess, the advantage would be to fit a quiet 90mm fan on the xp90.

The point isn't that AMD's new heatsinks are the greatest invention ever, the point is that the XP90 has been outclassed for at least a year now and no one realized it until they put the XP90 head to head with a stock heatsink that you can get on ebay for 13$.

Get one of these:
http://www.svc.com/fa80120-blue.html

Then get one of these:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75003
79CFM @ 29.8 db :eek:

Then slap it on the stock 4 pipe x2/Opteron heatsink/fan and it's quiet, cheap and almost nothing you can buy can touch it. It also cools surrounding components much better because although the screw holes match up perfectly to an 80mm the exhaust hole is slightly bigger allowing for air to get through and down to the motherboard.

Genius

Thats a good idea actually.

I may buy one of those :p Id be interested to know how cooling improves with using a 120mm fan with an adapter.

What I dont get is, why people say the stock heatpipe hsf is loud. Mine is completely silent. Or enough so to where I dont care.

Everybody's got a 120mm fan laying around. For $3.99 plus shipping (ended up costing me 8 bucks or something) you get almost 80CFM at about the same db as the stock fan.

I haven't tried it yet. Waiting on my motherboard to get here. But I do have it installed on the stock heatsink with a fan guard on top and it is impressive. If somebody knows how to post pictures here in the thread, I'll e-mail em the pictures so they can post them for me.

wrangler said:
That fan has three operating modes: low, medium, and high. The CFM is measured at "high," the db is measured at "low." I've got a bunch of those and know for a fact that they aren't putting out 29.8 db at high (although they do move a lot of air).

I'm going to be the rebel here and suggest the SI-120. It has across-the-board compatibility and cools like you wouldn't believe when paired with a Papst/Panaflo/Delta/Yate Loon.

Nope

It is not a tri-cool. It is a pro. It operates at 2000 rpm at 79 cfm at 29.8 db at all times.

I happen to have a bunch of these and they are quiet.

And they are 3 pin with rpm monitoring.

Their perfect for this.

Absolute0 said:

I own one and I have to agree. I'm learning quickly to never fall for hype... Artic Cooling VGA coolers, XP-90's etc they are all weak and overrated.

Well I doubt that, but do you have a direct link youre looking at?

EDIT: Actually after further reading in that review it does look like the XP-90 and xp-90c were over whelmed. While the stock heatpipe hsf was still going good.

Thats amazing to me the xp-90c doesnt cool as well as the amd stock heatpipe hsf. A $50 heatsink doesnt cool as well as a stock heatsink?

So who sells the new stock opteron HSF... since you guys have me thinking of dumping the XP-90 before it even arrives....

You can find them on ebay. Theres a thread somewhere here that has a link but I can't find it. I got mine for 5 bucks plus shipping for a total of $15.

Make sure when your looking that it is the 4 pipe Opteron/X2 cooler. Some of them are advertising X2 coolers but it's the one that comes with the 3800+ which aint the same, and there is a 2 pipe cooler also that I don't know where that came from.

I too, am one of those people who are not bothered by the sound of the stock fans...sometimes is where you put your computer, if you're computer desk is one of those who can be taken into a few parts, it will probably make more noise since it will vibrate the the wood.

There was a person recently who pointed out the 80mm to 120mm FAN ADAPTER such as HERE. If you didnt like the stock fan, you could always stick a quieter 120mm fan with an adapter on it. :)

I dont know what people are talking about anyways with it being loud. I have the freaking heatsink and its silent @ 2500rpm.

I still like the XP-90, in that it allows you to put on an undervolted 92mm fan and enjoy the lower noise.

Retsam said:
There was a person recently who pointed out the 80mm to 120mm FAN ADAPTER such as HERE. If you didnt like the stock fan, you could always stick a quieter 120mm fan with an adapter on it. :)

I dont know what people are talking about anyways with it being loud. I have the freaking heatsink and its silent @ 2500rpm.

Sounds interesting, could lower temps be acheived ? I have the heatsink and think its atually quiet too lol, the only reason Id give that a try is if the temps go lower.

Anybody have numbers comparing the standard AMD 4 pipe cooler using an 80mm and using a 120mm with the fan funnel?

Just for fun, I might hook up my Tornado to my 4 piper. I'll go deaf, but my CPU might never hit 40 with a 50% OC.

I'll know monday how it works. Well, maybe. Motherboard will be here but it all depends on ZZF returning my Raptor from RMA. I already installed the adaptor and the fan onto the heatsink. It looks great and fits perfect. Too lazy to switch it back. I should be able to give some interesting numbers between idle and load though.

wrangler said:
You can find them on ebay. Theres a thread somewhere here that has a link but I can't find it. I got mine for 5 bucks plus shipping for a total of $15.

Make sure when your looking that it is the 4 pipe Opteron/X2 cooler. Some of them are advertising X2 coolers but it's the one that comes with the 3800+ which aint the same, and there is a 2 pipe cooler also that I don't know where that came from.
They're pretty rare now and the prices have jumped a bit.

As mentioned by wrangler above, you want the AMD cooler with four heatpipes protruding out from the same side....and it has to have the H shaped copper base. There's a guy on ebay selling the similar older/inferior model so don't be fooled. Here's a link to the similar but wrong X2 heatsink...notice it does not have an H shaped copper base ;). Here's a link to a merchant selling the correct X2 heatsink, BTW, that merchant accepted a "best offer" of $8 last week....not sure if he's still willing to sell it for $8 any longer though.

Ebay search terms i've used to locate the good X2 heatsink: "AMD X2" or "Original AMD" etc etc... you get the idea ;)

Actually I think ive just decided to go ahead and buy that 80mm - 120mm fan adapter. Im interested to see if it will cool the stock copper heatsink better :p Its actually about $5.50 total for me with first class shipping from svc.com. Ill take a chance. Ill do some benchmarks after and let ya know how it goes.

Retsam said:
Actually I think ive just decided to go ahead and buy that 80mm - 120mm fan adapter. Im interested to see if it will cool the stock copper heatsink better :p Its actually about $5.50 total for me with first class shipping from svc.com. Ill take a chance. Ill do some benchmarks after and let ya know how it goes.

Will look forward for that!

IanG said:
XP-90. It can also use 90mm fans which should be quieter.

The newer 4 pipe dual core heatsink uses a 90mm fan. (mine does)

Back