A+ vouchers, where to buy discounted ones online?

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
Where can I buy discounted A+ vouchers from online that are legit? Also, how do they work? Do you take the voucher down to a testing center and then set up an appointment, or do you set up an appointment and pay with the voucher once you arrive? I once read you could get vouchers for about $75 each half of the test (Core+OS $150 total roughly), is this still true? Thanks!

The only vouchers I have seen that are legit are part of a package with training material. The material is digital. The cheapest I have seen for A+ (and it's been a while) was $30 off. How it works? It's like a coupon. When you call to schedule your test and they ask how you are paying, you say you have a voucher. You give them the number and you are done.

And, yes, I am one of the nay sayers. I personally would rather give an extra $30 to a company that I can know is legit.

Its not $150 for both halves....its $153 EACH half - core and OS.

MorfiusX said:
And, yes, I am one of the nay sayers. I personally would rather give an extra $30 to a company that I can know is legit.

I meant those that say certs are a waste of time. Should have clarified that.

Cheapest I can recall are vouchers that expire within days, like PrepLogic's Sale Vouchers, or GetCertify4Less' Hot Deals. I think these might've been sold in the $75 range before.

CertCities has some info on pricing changes made late last year.

Like MorfiusX says, you just give the code when scheduling the test. Used to redeem mine on the Vue and Prometric sites without problems.

...haha, try to find a high school with an A+ class and ask if you can test for free ;)

That's pretty much what I did.

F1xxer said:
I meant those that say certs are a waste of time. Should have clarified that.

Yeah, until your picked over for a guy with less experience than you, then it's a bitch. It definatly depends on what you want to do.If you want a business to hire you, it's almost essential. If you're doing something private like your own business or something else, then it's almost useless.

I'm taking my tests within a month from now. Paid for through college course fees.

Thanks guys, guess the things I read awhile back were $150 per half, not $150 for the whole thing then. I've seen more than a few job postings saying A+ required, and yeah while I agree it isn't a OMGYOUARETEHLEETESTONTEHGALAXY cert or anything, it is essential to convince some people with less computer knowledge that you have some basic understanding of non-typical computer topics.

so_cal_forever said:
It definatly depends on what you want to do.If you want a business to hire you
It depends on what types of jobs you are going for. If you want an hourly retail type job maybe at Best Buy or so to get your foot in the door, it "might" be necessary. If you are going for a full-time job with a corporation somewhere, or with some type of IT organization, no one ever discusses the A+ certs. Once you aspire to do something more than work at Best buy, you'll never need them again. They aren't ever going to hurt you, but their benefits are a lot more limited than some will admit. Good luck if you are pursuing them.

djnes said:
It depends on what types of jobs you are going for. If you want an hourly retail type job maybe at Best Buy or so to get your foot in the door, it "might" be necessary. If you are going for a full-time job with a corporation somewhere, or with some type of IT organization, no one ever discusses the A+ certs. Once you aspire to do something more than work at Best buy, you'll never need them again. They aren't ever going to hurt you, but their benefits are a lot more limited than some will admit. Good luck if you are pursuing them.
Along this line of thought: I have many certs including A+. I didn't find value in any until I earned the higher level certs. The only time I have been asked if I had a certification, they were asking about MCSE or CCNP.

As many will tell you, a cert alone isn't that valuable. Most places also want experience or a degree.

so_cal_forever said:
Yeah, until your picked over for a guy with less experience than you, then it's a bitch. It definatly depends on what you want to do.If you want a business to hire you, it's almost essential. If you're doing something private like your own business or something else, then it's almost useless.

I'm taking my tests within a month from now. Paid for through college course fees.

LOL Are you serious?

Pick someone with a cert over someone with more experience? We're talking A+, not CCIE here.

Get with the real world, or don't speak of careers you know nothing about.

If anything, certifications are given to HR managers as a point by point checklist by the DirOps, who typically gets his IT checklists from the IT staff.

I've never seen anyone I work with reccomend an A+ holder. Now CCNP, A, CNA, MSCE, definately.

Highschool kids are proud of the A+ and Net+, but we'd hire someone with 2 months experience over 0 experience.

If you want to learn about Win3.1, IRQs, and other worthless 10 year old material, go ahead and get your A+.

Or do something worthwhile and get your MCP/MSCE.

itsmikey said:
LOL Are you serious?

Pick someone with a cert over someone with more experience? We're talking A+, not CCIE here.

Get with the real world, or don't speak of careers you know nothing about.

If anything, certifications are given to HR managers as a point by point checklist by the DirOps, who typically gets his IT checklists from the IT staff.

I've never seen anyone I work with reccomend an A+ holder. Now CCNP, A, CNA, MSCE, definately.

Highschool kids are proud of the A+ and Net+, but we'd hire someone with 2 months experience over 0 experience.

If you want to learn about Win3.1, IRQs, and other worthless 10 year old material, go ahead and get your A+.

Or do something worthwhile and get your MCP/MSCE.

...or do something even more worthwhile, and get a college degree that isn't IT. ;)

...or do something even more worthwhile, and get a college degree that isn't IT.
I hate to tell you, but society will get MORE computerized in the future, not less( maybe not at earlier rates though). IMO, the only other career feild that might surpass it is medical ( which just so happens to rely HEAVILY on computers).

noobtech said:
We are all obsolete... the Terminators are the future. :eek:

...look out for Skynet!! :(
get your ass to mars.

wait, wrong movie. mars wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

You guys who are saying certs are worthless need to broaden your perspective here. I would imagine most of you are from large cities where I.T. geniuses grow on trees. For people who don't live in metropolises certs can be a HUGE help on your resume.

Example: The town I work in has about 90,000 people including the small suburbs. We have three colleges spewing out retards with computer degrees left and right. However, the area has few people who know their heads from their asses (they can do the school work but don't have any real-world skills). Most people here are in the IT field because it's a job, not because they love it as a hobby. So they don't put in the extra effort to tinker at home or persue certifications. So when HR people see CCNA, or MCSE or MCP or even A+ Certified it stands out. 3 years ago my A+ helped me get an entry level job in the IT field (an actual IT job, not a BB or CompUSA job). The MCP cert I listed on my resume in February helped me get a mid-level IT job. I know it helped because
1. I beat out 33 other applicants (remember, small area here :p)
2. I don't have a college degree
3. My new boss couldn't stop telling people about how cool it was to have a Microsoft certified person in the office.

Yeah, to me and many of you these certifications are easy and not a big deal. But when it comes down to a coin-toss between two applicants and one has certs and one doesn't, the certifications could push the odds in your favor. Or, if it's like my case and you live in BFE, the cert could get you a damned fine job almost on its own. :)

F1xxer said:
You guys who are saying certs are worthless need to broaden your perspective here. I would imagine most of you are from large cities where I.T. geniuses grow on trees. For people who don't live in metropolises certs can be a HUGE help on your resume.

Example: The town I work in has about 90,000 people including the small suburbs. We have three colleges spewing out retards with computer degrees left and right. However, the area has few people who know their heads from their asses (they can do the school work but don't have any real-world skills). Most people here are in the IT field because it's a job, not because they love it as a hobby. So they don't put in the extra effort to tinker at home or persue certifications. So when HR people see CCNA, or MCSE or MCP or even A+ Certified it stands out. 3 years ago my A+ helped me get an entry level job in the IT field (an actual IT job, not a BB or CompUSA job). The MCP cert I listed on my resume in February helped me get a mid-level IT job. I know it helped because
3. My new boss couldn't stop telling people about how cool it was to have a Microsoft certified person in the office.

Yeah, to me and many of you these certifications are easy and not a big deal. But when it comes down to a coin-toss between two applicants and one has certs and one doesn't, the certifications could push the odds in your favor. Or, if it's like my case and you live in BFE, the cert could get you a damned fine job almost on its own. :)

You sir, are my new Idol.

F1xxer said:

You're right, except for one small mistake. You are lumping all certs together, and talking about them all as one thing. I certainly agree that your MS cert is useful, and considering that I am currently job searching, I can vouch that MS certs are useful. You have to keep the A+ out of that discussion though. The A+ is the one most people consider useless in the IT field, simply because it's not very meaningful. It's useful for some, depending on the job you are after, but for most, looking above the retail jobs, it isn't going to make a difference whether you have it or not.

The other big thing you didn't mention is the interview. I used to teach classes and seminars in interviewing to undergrads when I was in college. You would be amazed at how many adults, regardless of job skill, give horrible interviews. You may very well give a great interview, which could have separated you from almost all of those 33 people. There's no way to know this, I'm just saying it's possible. I'd be willing to bet that it was your MCP, and not the A+ that raised eyebrows, assuming your company knows the IT field.

Ahh good sir, you too raise some good points. :p

I will agree that the A+ cert isn't something employers are going to drop their jaw over. I also agree that many people will overlook such certifications, hell even an MCP isn't that impressive on its own.

I guess my main point in my huge spiel should have been "Go for your certification, it definately won't hurt."

An A+ cert won't land you an IT job in a Fortune 500 company unless your dad is CEO. Nor will it give you a mid-level IT job. But it could help you get an entry level job. And to HR people, any extra studying/test taking you do on your own usually earns you a check in the "motivated" column. Which again can't hurt.

At the very least it will help get you a job at Best Buy. And that's your foot in the door. Albeit a very small foot in a very large door. :p

Ok, I'm ranting on and on again. :eek:

Summary:
Go for your A+, but don't expect it to be the key to the city. Use it as a spring-board for your next cert.

Back