A quick LCD mod - Great for Multimonitor Users!

Hvatum

Gawd
Disclaimer: You may very well damage or destroy your monitor if you attempt this. Your monitor may be different and this may not even work for you. You have been warned.

I recently have fallen back on a L90D+ 19" monitor while traveling, the FW900 is just too impractical. I quickly got tired of the wide bezel of unsightly, cheap looking, plastic. A quick investigation revealed a very attractive metal housing beneath the plastic facade. The housing of the screen itself had less than half the width. Furthermore, as it turns out, the plastic housing was not structural at all.

DSC00029.JPG

The Monitor before modifications

IMAG0333.jpg

Beneath that ugly housing, there was this beautiful polished metal bezel! Who knew!

IMAG0336.jpg

Much nicer looking

IMAG0340.jpg

The rear. I thought about trimming the black plastic housing down and putting it back on, but I like the industrial-technical look of exposed electronics. As you can see, I followed the same philosophy on the support arm.

IMAG0344.jpg

Here you can see the solution to the most frustrating aspect. The metal housing, which held the circuit boards and the screen itself, screwed onto the outside of the screen. You can see it in the picture above this one, it's an ugly light gray metal. I unscrewed it from the screen, trimmed it down with tin snips, drilled a new hole, bent it back, and then slipped the tabs between the polished metal bezel and the inside of the screen. There's a small space where you can force it in.

Net result:

Last edited:
I have that monitor. It's pretty old, but still runs great. I'm looking to get rid of it for a larger monitor.

I have that monitor. It's pretty old, but still runs great. I'm looking to get rid of it for a larger monitor.

Same here.

Thanks for the info OP, I may just try this. How exposed are the electronics with the plastic removed. Do you think a toddler or cat could zap themselves?

Any chance we could get larger or more detailed pictures? I used to own the L90D+ and would love to see more.

A lot better than what you had. love it and might try it with some old monitors laying around.

Same here.

Thanks for the info OP, I may just try this. How exposed are the electronics with the plastic removed. Do you think a toddler or cat could zap themselves?

No, there's no risk of that. They're quite well hidden behind the metal shield.

The risk of a toddler spilling something into the sensitive control circuits is the much more apparent danger.Unlikely, but the risk is somewhat greater without the plastic shield. If you do try it, report back, would love to know how it works out for you.

I plan to paint the arm black and metal cover black tomorrow. I'll post pics if I do.

so how much did you trim the bezel?

From about 18mm to 8mm (half inch to a quarter inch).

Here are some (somewhat) better pictures. Sadly, this is as good as it gets with my cellphone camera.

IMAG0389.jpg

Comparing the old plastic bezel to the thin metal bezel.
IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

The rear of the monitor, I plan to paint the removable metal housing black.

What is this? Strip monitor of protective housing -> Attack monitor with tin snips -> ??? -> Mission accomplished?

Not to mention some LCDs might have their power supply PCB exposed in this state.

Nice 'mod'.

Back