a question about DDR3 1333/1066

alex2020

n00b
Dear forum,

My motherboard has 4 slots of DDR3 1333/1066, with maximal 16 GB.
http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/specs-hewlett-packard-3647h/
I currently have two 4 GB and I want to increase to total of 16Gb.
I have two questions:
1. Can I add one 8B memory stick, so that I have 2x4GB + 1x8Gb? Will this work ?
2. If answer to [1] is positive, should the speed of the 8GB stick be the same as of 2x4Gb ?

Thank you!

Do you have a SSD for your OS drive? If not, don't bother with more RAM. If you do then 2x4GB instead of a single 8GB since the RAM runs in dual channel and that MB only supports 4GB sticks anyway. And keep the new RAM the same speed as your existing RAM

Last edited:
Seeing as that's an old LGA775 board (I recall working on a few of those HP 8000 series systems long ago), I doubt it will be able to "see" any 8GB DIMMs at all. I also recall some literature stating the Q45 chipset would work with 16GB of DDR2 but only 8GB of DDR3 memory.....

So there is a real possibility that even if you got two more 2Rx8 low density DIMMS in either 1066/1333 speeds, the board may not work with them at all. Though with some quick searching I see evidence that some people did manage to get 16GB working in those systems, but had to try different brands of memory to find something that would work.

I agree with bluestang, I'd upgrade to an SSD first if you don't have one. Or look for an old and cheap system with at least a 2nd/3rd gen Core i5/i7 instead. Optiplex 790/990 and 7010/9010 systems can be had for next to nothing these days and would be a very nice budget upgrade over anything Core 2 based.

I picked up a new looking Optiplex 790 MT for a family member off craigslist a few months ago for $100 and it had an i7 2600 CPU, 16GB of memory, a GTX 750 video card, and a 256GB SSD........

Last edited:
I would say, no, you can't just add a 1x8GB DIMM. If anything, I would find 2x4GB of whatever speed you're running now and add it that way. First, you're better off for compatibility, and second, you still have dual channel memory.

Back