A question about a server

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Looks to be a standard uATX board and setup, so you can grab a case with enough storage bays and move everything over. Edit: Some HP boards won't boot without the original fans plugged in, so if it doesn't, bring those over to the new case as well.

To support all the drives you'll need to get either an SAS expander or, and it's a probably better option considering the system's age, an HBA/RAID card.

Software...depends on many factors of how you want to use it, what kind of redundancy you're after, etc. I'd ask the experts in the OS subforum. FreeNAS/ZFS seems to be a popular option around here. I'm a simple guy and just run Windows with a bunch of shares to the network because it suits my needs just fine.

G7's are circa 2010 and are EOL. Do you have any need for the increased processing power? If the NAS is working now I'd stick with that personally as using the G7 would cause you to buy more expansion cards, more points of failure and considerably more power usage and noise.

Not sure I'd take the G7. If you really want it you could get an MSA 12 drive shelf and hook it up via a PCIe SAS controller. I have a similar setup with a DL360 Gen9. It does take a lot of power though. I could kill-a-watt the setup and get an "idle" wattage for you since I don't have any data on it yet. I was going to put it in service as a NAS until I saw the wattage and decided to just upgrade my Netgear NAS's HDD's instead. Now I'm going to use it for backups in D2D2T fashion since I also have a MSL2024 LTO7 library.

Back