A Quake Tournament Where Nobody Knew How To Play Quake

What I find fascinating about this is much this says about gaming. In most e-sports when you look at the top players and teams most of them have links to older FPS games. The CPL world cup was always being won by quake players. Old HLDM players were cleaning up games like TF2, RTCW etc..... One thing that seems to be common among new competitive games is they are so different or separated from the old games it allowed a new crowd to grow up. How could that many people compete and they only have 1 guy who is an experienced quake player. On top of that those players of these new games seem to be very uncultured you would expect way more of them to have at least ventured out and tried to learn about past competitive games. Instead they seem to be so tunnelvisioned they know nothing. Anyone who has been to youtube and much into gamign should have come across lots of videos from various FPS games showing strafe jumping, item timing and all the skills needed in quake.

Reminds me of having arguments with my friends in 1999 about which video cards to buy. I loved the Voodoo line, but I was touting the benefits of the Riva TNT2 and my friends weren't having any trash talk about 3dfx limitations in textures and color depth.

OMG i totally forgot about those fights. The real card wars before the nvidia/ati ones started.

Recently fired up Q2 for some dm with a few friends. Man I miss those days....

Kid

What I find fascinating about this is much this says about gaming. In most e-sports when you look at the top players and teams most of them have links to older FPS games.

I watched that "Free To Play" movie and what I found about top players and teams of e-sports, is that they are a really fucked up bunch of individuals. Not one person they focused on in that documentary had a life that I would consider "optimistic".

Quake / Quake 2

<3

Seriously, I don't think I've ever had as much fun gaming as during that period.

Would love to see a quake 1/2 remaster.

Aye. Quake 4 is not a proper successor to Quake 2. Quake 2 already had a distinctive look and atmosphere. Q4 just needed to update the graphics and detail and add a little extra depth. Raven seriously screwed that one up in my opinion.

Id also missed the boat with the Doom 3 engine on doing a proper Quake 1 sequel. Every Q1 player I've spoken to has wanted it, and Id's never seemed to be interested in revisiting it. Why, I do not know. There's certainly a market for it.

The more important question is... why doesn't Steve know Quake III (Quake Live, etc) when he sees it? This isn't Quake! :)

Quake become entirely and universally irrelevant the moment Half Life and later Counter-Strike was released.

There was never any need for anything deathmatch ever again.

I played it back when I was younger and didn't know better, but these days i wouldn't touch it.

Zarathustra[H];1041449838 said:
Quake become entirely and universally irrelevant the moment Half Life and later Counter-Strike was released.

I played it back when I was younger and didn't know better, but these days i wouldn't touch it.

Doesn't really make any sense given that round based game play wasn't invented by CS. CS was only the winner because it came out on a game that was popular at a time when all the AOL newbs of the world were just figuring out games existed. I guess by that merit you could say CS became entirely irrelevant the moment COD was released on consoles.

Didnt know any better? That was pretty much the best FPS around until CS was released...well Unreal, but that was a different style gamplay, more like Halo.

Heretic! Blasphemer! You will be fed to the darkest dimensions of Elder magic! IA! Shub-Niggurath! The Goat with a Thousand Young!

Back