** A Picture I Took - 2009 **

I rented a 70-200 f/2.8 for the afformentioned tourney, and it got here 3 days early. Can't wait to play with it! I had the f/4 version but sold it because I needed something faster.

I'm doing the same thing for the Philharmonic Concert we're shooting next month.

I rent my lenses from http://www.lensrentals.com. Awesome people, awesome service, fair prices...I'd highly recommend them.
there's also a http://www.borrowlenses.com and http://www.lensprotogo.com that are pretty good, too. the prices are all the same everywhere. i usually rent from Calumet, though. i guess the 1 day rental has it's advantages (price for once), but the required deposit sucks a bit.

one important thing to remember about Calumet is this: one day rental on equipment rented on Friday after 5 pm, is due on Monday, and one day rental for gear rented on Saturday (again, afte 5 pm) is due on Tuesday (all because they are closed on Sunday, thus they don't charge rental fee for that day). which is a nice thing to know, if you need to rent a lens for the weekend on a budget. (at least that's how it works at my local Calumet. YMMV)

Some long exposure stuff:
3935968408_dc15313f53_o.jpg

3935157201_7a2399e103_o.jpg

Both were done "blind", since I couldn't get my eyes on the viewfinder since the camera was set pretty close to the ground. Someone could really use live view :(

Thanks for the kind comments, they are simply stones at the edge of the water, and the fog effect is from the waves. Both are long exposures(first one 18 sec, second one 4 sec) shot about 30 minutes after sunset.

Hello all,
This was my first attempt at water drops. I only received my flash yesterday, so it's a learning curve.

IMGP7477E.jpg

IMGP6102E2.jpg

More to come.
Bob

where can you rent stuff? I'd love to rent a decent SLR with a couple lenses for a week or something.

I rent my lenses from http://www.lensrentals.com. Awesome people, awesome service, fair prices...I'd highly recommend them.

I just rented a 70-300mm VR lens for my Yellowstone trip from lensrentals.com. I would second Johnny's recommendation. There customer service was great. Read the details on the website and as long as you follow their few simple guidelines you will be very pleased.

My lens arrived a day early and since it was due back on a Sunday they tld be to ship it back on Monday. I was very impressed.

Nice work on the pics as always Victor.:)

Well, my first wedding shoot was quite a learning experience. A lot of the portraits before/after the ceremony turned out great - I set up full lighting, and ended up having to do a lot of directed posing - most of which ended up much more stiff looking than I would have wanted - definitely learned a lot to improve my posing techniques as the day went on. Did a lot of candids, and a few of those turned out really well. The room where they had the ceremony had some really horrible lighting, and I wasn't allowed to use any of my own lighting during the ceremony; needless to say, everything from that part will require quite a bit of PS'ing, and I probably still won't ever want to show them off.

My elusive flash-shutter-syncing issue reared it's head again in full force over the course of the day, ruining a good 1/5 of the shots I was taking. Randomly every few photos I would get a sync-error, some of which were bad enough to kill as much as 80% of certain frames. I think I narrowed down the culprit in my wiring: my adapter that mounts on the camera hot-shoe and and sends the PC cable to the pocket wizard; I managed to jam the mounting-ring that holds in on the camera in the completely unlocked position somehow, and I will have to get some pliers to fix it; while fiddling with that, I accidentally pulled the front plug-area off of the thing, and noticed some wiring in there, that's probably loose... needless to say, I am replacing that adapter asap, and am looking forward to getting a pro body that has the pc-cable plugs built in!

Of the many photo's that were ruined by flash-synch errors and had to be re-shot, I did end up with a few happy accidents where the ambient light filled in enough to give the flash a kind of snooted-down look that actually looked fairly decent, per the second shot here. Of the 500+ shots I ended up taking, I'm hoping at least 200 are keepers. Here's a couple I personally like: one good shot, and one of the problem-shots. Once I'm done PS'ing the rest I may or may-not have more to post.

bride1.jpg

wedding-group.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Pylon, those are amazing!

Well, my first wedding shoot was quite a learning experience.
congrats! sounds like you've had quite a lot of fun :p

funny thing is, when i saw the first picture i thought you were shooting my ex' wedding :eek:. but no dice, that's not her.

The room where they had the ceremony had some really horrible lighting, and I wasn't allowed to use any of my own lighting during the ceremony; needless to say, everything from that part will require quite a bit of PS'ing, and I probably still won't ever want to show them off.

Did you bump up the ISO?

Did you bump up the ISO?

Yeah, had to shoot most of the ceremony at 1600-2000. The only lights in there were a few florescent boxes and some overhead spots that were pretty insignificant even cranked all the way up. I tried opening the blinds on windows, but since it was raining, that didn't help much either. Most of the stuff from that set was just ok - nothing portfolio quality.

wow - great shots DT! Color and lighting in both of these if really amazing looking.

The sounding rocket experiment that got some talk this weekend...I don't have photos of the noctilucent clouds, but I was at the launch site :D (There's plenty of theories on YouTube from people who weren't aware of the experiment, fun stuff)

photos_09090336.jpg

Canon 20D, 200mm, f/2.8, ISO 200, 1/80s, Monopod

photos_09090361.jpg

Canon 20D, 110mm (cropped), f/2.8, ISO1600, 1/60s, Monopod

photos_09090362.jpg

Canon 20D, 110mm, f/2.8, ISO1600, 1/60s, Monopod

Here's why portrait/landscape shooters shouldn't shoot cars...I don't even know where to begin with them.

659289701_gbTVB-X2.jpg

Here's why portrait/landscape shooters shouldn't shoot cars...I don't even know where to begin with them.

659289701_gbTVB-X2.jpg
I like the detail in the headlight.
- Use a polarizing filter to control the reflections off of the paint and glass and to bring out the color in the paint.
- Find interesting angles.

3937587195_1c46ba9564_b.jpg

3937419975_82a4ff223d_b.jpg

Blown out, but it's the best I could do with my point and shoot (SD1100IS). Love me some Subaru.

3937736476_7a9f222754_b.jpg

3938342430_cb451b8e0b_b.jpg

Sunrise at the top of Mt. Misen - the bench is significant for those of you familiar with Nojuku

^^ Love the falloff on that one, really draws the eyes to the plane. It's a Singapore Air Boeing 747-400 I believe.

You are correct. If you google the tail number, you can find quite a few photos of it. It was by far the lowest take off I saw in the morning...that mega ark must have been loaded full!

I also cannot imagine how loud that thing must be at takeoff power + low altitude. I've seen 747-400s on approach and they're probably the loudest planes that come to my airport.

It was ridiculous. Everyone stopped and looked up at it...it looked like it was going to fall out of the sky on top of us.

This whole set turned out really well, btw! Nice poses, selective focusing, and color (which lens is this? The exif is gone now).

This shot of the rings is one I failed to get last Saturday. Just had to ask, when/where is the right time/place to get this shot? I completely forgot about it until after the ceremony at the reception. Did a few shots of their hands with rings on, but of course they weren't about to take off their rings for me to shoot them at that point...

Guess I was supposed to do this one some time earlier in the day... oops. At least the couple I was shooting are close friends of mine, so I can always do the rings-macro some other time without too much hassle if they want it included later.

Sunrise at the top of Mt. Misen - the bench is significant for those of you familiar with Nojuku
3938342430_cb451b8e0b_b.jpg

Love this shot - the way the light rakes across the table gives it a very dynamic look and very cool texture. I'm not familiar with Nojuku at all - what's the significance of bench?

This whole set turned out really well, btw! Nice poses, selective focusing, and color (which lens is this? The exif is gone now).

This shot of the rings is one I failed to get last Saturday. Just had to ask, when/where is the right time/place to get this shot? I completely forgot about it until after the ceremony at the reception. Did a few shots of their hands with rings on, but of course they weren't about to take off their rings for me to shoot them at that point...

Guess I was supposed to do this one some time earlier in the day... oops. At least the couple I was shooting are close friends of mine, so I can always do the rings-macro some other time without too much hassle if they want it included later.

I set this shot up when I was taking pictures of the Groom getting ready.
Here are some more of the day.

3951826816_37a3413c55_b.jpg

3951048861_2d5160400f_b.jpg

Taken by our 3rd shooter.

Love this shot - the way the light rakes across the table gives it a very dynamic look and very cool texture. I'm not familiar with Nojuku at all - what's the significance of bench?

Nojuku is Japanese for sleeping outside - I didn't know it was silver week and everything was full! I made the most of it and slept somewhere quiet and scenic and took the picture as a personal memory - it is really only by chance that it came out so well :cool:

One more of the sunrise for good measure:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2593/3938336234_e1833bf936_b.jpg

Nojuku is Japanese for sleeping outside - I didn't know it was silver week and everything was full! I made the most of it and slept somewhere quiet and scenic and took the picture as a personal memory - it is really only by chance that it came out so well :cool:

One more of the sunrise for good measure:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2593/3938336234_e1833bf936_b.jpg

I found from a google search it means sleeping outside.. but what makes that bench so special?

Like this shot a lot, B&W conversion is great! However, I wish that I could either:
1. see the entire shoes but nothing more, or
2. had something in the bokeh inbetween the heels that was either the archway where the couple was getting married, sunset, something.

Just seems to me that there is something more there that is missing, ya know?!

Back