A Picture I Took - 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here're a few I took at Multnomah Falls back in August. All were manual focused and metered and were shot with an old AI modded Cimko 28mm on a D50.

2864175866_c48a1cc191.jpg

2864175708_3f2ac94c3e.jpg
2863342557_8fde129371.jpg

These are my first attempts to do the tilt shift lens toy effect. If you like these, click on the image and leave a comment please. Thanks.

Shot taken with a wide angle lens up high works best. You need to create a very shallow depth of field. You can use the lens blur effect in Photoshop CS3. You select a point in which you want a clear focus and blur the rest. Should use the gradient tool for a gradual blur effect.

how did you do that

Congratulations to Vincent LaForet for sparking the most overused effect of 2008 =p

Seriously some of those look awesome but it's gonna get old fast.

I love the toy look effect, but would rather see them with a lot less blurring on them.

The blur is nice, but a bit overdone. Hurts my eyes, not in ass kind of way, but like I can feel some kind of ouch. Maybe tone it down/make it softer?Dunno the terminology.

Congratulations to Vincent LaForet for sparking the most overused effect of 2008 =p

Seriously some of those look awesome but it's gonna get old fast.

Actually I think HDR or Lucisart is one of the most overused effect of 2008. I say this because I see a lot of over done HDR that people seem to love.

Actually I think HDR or Lucisart is one of the most overused effect of 2008. I say this because I see a lot of over done HDR that people seem to love.

Ack, Lucisart...a simple tool for - well - simple people. :p

I love HDR, and I love it if it's dramatic and intense, but not particularly overdone. Somewhat overdone is my taste, but, of course, it's 100% subjective.

GREAT "toy" shots, by the way. I've never even heard of that until now, and it looks amazing. I think the excessive blurring gives the images a wonderful pop. The colors are beautiful as well. Any links to tutorials on how to do that?

I love HDR, and I love it if it's dramatic and intense, but not particularly overdone. Somewhat overdone is my taste, but, of course, it's 100% subjective.

If it were 100% subjective, there would be no such thing as a bad photo. ;)

If it were 100% subjective, there would be no such thing as a bad photo. ;)

How so? Someone can either hate it, love it, or be indifferent about it. It's subjective due to the opinion varying, person-to-person.

Effectively making it - subjective.;)

If someone takes liberal art studies seriously, you would realize that a piece of art is considered serious when its meaning is deep. Is the depth of the meaning.

How so? Someone can either hate it, love it, or be indifferent about it. It's subjective due to the opinion varying, person-to-person.

Wha?

Lol. I used "subjective" in the context that it depends on who you ask and what they think about HDR in general. It depends upon the subject of the matter and who you ask about it. That's all.:p

Pretty good pics, did you have fun? I got stuck working :(

x2

Yea it was great! My dad got us into the the VIP seats with the Air Force Reserve which was badass! His company, Superior Air Parts, sponsors one of the Extra 300 pilots who is also sponsored by the Air Force Reserve. The Thunder Bird pilots and ground support crew are a super nice bunch of lunatics. :D

Yes, all opinions are subjective. All reviews of artistic merit are not, or at least not 100%.

Tone-mapping (HDR) is a tool used in the creation of art, and like all tools it is subject to a more objective review of craftsmanship. While there will always be a subjective element, that does not mean there are no standards.

As an example, I could have a penchant for Photoshop lens flares. Undoubtedly, they can be used to great effect, as it is simply a tool. However, I think we can all agree that most of the time, they are not. The offending artist uses the filter because they think the effect is cool, not because the image calls for it or they intend to spend any amount of time tweaking the effect to get it just right.

The same applies to tone-mapping. Many budding photographers simply run their latest image through Photomatix on the default settings and call it finished. Perhaps they fiddle with the sliders a little, but what most fail to realize is that you can't replace artistic intuition with a mathematical algorithm. Tone-mapping has its disadvantages that can be measured objectively -- a loss of global contrast, halos, loss of pure white in certain situations -- all of which can be minimized by any artist with a little time and knowledge of Photoshop.

As always, there are exceptions to every rule. Some photos actually look good with halos, and that's where some of your subjectivity comes in. Unfortunately, it is frequently quite obvious when a photographer has spent time and effort tweaking their tone-mapping just right... and when they have not.

Well, I took this one back in July. Helping a friend take some pictures of his car. Did not have my camera yet so we used his D60. One shot non HDR just post processing to clean it up, fix it and enhance it a little beyond what was natural. We were being harassed by the parking lot nazi so the origional is a bad image but the results turned into something nice.

I waited on posting it since my friend was going to make changes and did not want to post images yet. However he friend upgraded cars and so now I don't feel too bad about posting it up anymore :) Changed the sig to me since I did the work on it and he's not using the image.

1-Matte-2sml.jpg

You can view the origional if your interested.

Full size image as well to see all of my mistakes lol.

God, I love timed exposures! Turns the night into day. Here's one I took with my old film SLR camera when I was about 15.

proudphoto02.jpg

It's a 4-hour exposure of the North Star I shot on my Aunt and Uncle's farm out in Illinois. I had to tape the remote shutter switch down! The film developer didn't even bother to develop that exposure as he thought it was an error!! You guys really inspire me to get back out there and fool around with a nice camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back