A P/S issue??

conscript

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
2,600
This is a brand new build (sig below), and I figured the PS I chose would be more than powerful enough and a quality selection for the components I have. However, I've run into issues where occasionally running Vantage or 3dmark06 my computer just shuts down, which to me reeks of a P/S issue. Thoughts on other possibilities? I think I may just bite the bullet and buy a non modular PP&C:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703013
 
Yes, the psu is more than enough for your rig. Have you tried running Memtest86+ for 6+ hours and Prime95 for at least 12 hours? Have you installed Chipset and different video drivers?
 
Yes, zero errors on memtest/prime. I'll confess I think I have the right chipset drivers, but have been using intel so long i may be doing something wrong. I installed the N.Bridge and IDE drivers that were on the CD that came with the mobo, haven't seen any updates in any subsequent catalyst iterations.

No, it's either a problem with the PSU feeding power to the Videocard, or a problem with the video card. Just trying to think of a way to determine without replacing one or the other first.
 
well I picked up a plain 4870 at Best Buy and problem solved. I'm not sure i answered my own question on whether the 4870x2 was faulty, or the PSU just couldn't handle it.
 
well I picked up a plain 4870 at Best Buy and problem solved. I'm not sure i answered my own question on whether the 4870x2 was faulty, or the PSU just couldn't handle it.

Most likely the video card was faulty.
 
Back
Top