A new record I think... ready for some lolz?

CraftyChicken

Limp Gawd
Venting some frustrations, that I think a lot of people here can relate to. Over the weekend, I reformatted an old box, ran updates, installed Antivirus and Spybot and setup weekly automated tasks for backup and virus checking. That's my bare bones setup, which has worked great for our house with more computers that mammals (I'm including the two dogs in that). During Lunch I dropped off the clean computer at my brother in-law's. It's an old Opteron 165 gaming box that belonged to my son, but he got a new one for Christmas and Das Wife complained about him complaining about "computer troubles."

After lunch I did some of that working stuff outside of the office, and just now returned to find I had a message from my dear brother from another mother. Was it a thank you for the free computer and your time showing me how to use it? Nope, it was a plead for help, "I've been infected with a virus and can't do anything. It's running now but it's asking for money. I thought this was all supposed to be free?"

So there you go, after a tutorial on how to use "The New Windows 7."
On when and when not to accept a user account control action.
On how NOT to get a virus in the first place...

less than three hours after having a new computer this guy has managed to get infected with the good old fake anti-virus tool. Keep in mind, this computer once belonged to a teenager for 4 years and has not once been infected with anything, despite all the teenage curiosities that come with a broadband connection and hormones. I'm not saying he hasn't had problems, but good policies mean the system acted more like a typhoid Marry and less like a leper with chronic necrosis and a case of the measles (Ok, there was the Steam incident where he gave his account information to a website to download 'free' games, but that doesn't count for this story.)

So there's the lolz. If you are related to an semi-unemployed online gambler whose idea of a steady job is selling t-shirts at high school tournaments for a Ukrainian business tycoon, stay away... far far away. It's just not worth it, the couch isn't that uncomfortable.

I found over 800 infections on my friend's laptop about a month ago. I couldn't do anything but laugh.

If you are related to an semi-unemployed online gambler whose idea of a steady job is selling t-shirts at high school tournaments for a Ukrainian business tycoon, stay away... far far away. It's just not worth it, the couch isn't that uncomfortable.

hahaha.

I hear your troubles. I've had similar situations with my parents. I ended up setting up a guest account for them on their computer and wouldn't give them admin access so they couldn't install anything. I'd rather have them call me up asking to install something for them rather than have to reformat and reinstall winders.

That is funny!!

A watercooler conversation a month ago about viruses:

[insanity]

ME: Yea, did you hear about Microsofts free antivirus software? It's pretty cool.

Program Director: I use AVG, it's great, free, FANTASTIC. Been using it for a long time...

ME: Yea? That's great. I've never used that one.

Program Director: Yea you know, they say no anti-virus program is perfect. I did a virus scan recently and it found a few hundred viruses...

ME: (pause)... Are you serious?

[/insanity]

See, this is why when I set up relatives' new computers I make their default account as a limited user and lock it down at DEFCON 1-like levels. If they come complaining to me that they "cannot install X" I always reply, "It's a virus. Don't install that shit."

Got to love being free desktop support for people like that. My parents have been a challenge too.

As an uncle says: "there's no family & friends in business".

Application: Charge family members and annoying friends the same you'd do with your clients. :rolleyes:

The only exception being parents, hot chicks, and people who can do you favours. ;)

Got to love being free desktop support for people like that. My parents have been a challenge too.

My dad's machine was locked down by gpo and steady state until my brother left for boot camp because he kept fucking it up. The background is still is locked down by gpo to say "Stay the fuck off Cliff". At first after another rebuild I hadn't loaded steady state. He decided to fuck with it. I waited till he walked in the door and deleted all of his music and whatnot off of it in front of him. I then made it a bitch to do anything on it.

My dad on the other hand will just turn the machine off if he thinks he fucked it up and calls me. He is usually doesn't cause that many problems.

I remember hearing this quote:

If its your job, you should never do it for free. Because if you go to the person who you are helping, and ask them to do their job for free would they? Could they? Will they?

The answer is generally no, therefore, it shouldn't be either for you. I will cut them some slack sometimes. But free is gone from my vocabulary.

Back