a new NAS

lone wolf

Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2003
Messages
705
I just had to decomission a Dell Powervault 745n due to the fact that it was over 7 years old and all of that time in production. it currently has 4 250gb drives in it. I was thinking that I have 4 2tb hard drives that I would like to put in it so that I can increase capicity and have it for a data backup here at work. it has a cerc SATA 1.5 controller card in it so after putting about 10gb for the OS I would have plenty of space.

Anyone play around with one of these machines? The drives that I'm putting in are 2tb seagates.

some specs. it has a single celeron @ 2.4 and only a gig of ram. would this be good for a media server?
 
I'd say to add more RAM. 4GB of RAM is cheap, so I'd at least go with that. The Celeron will most likely struggle if you're transcoding on the fly, but it would be fine for basic file serving tasks.
 
there will not be any transcoding or anything like that. I'm just using it just for possibly storing music and movies. I just tried to use it for a backup and it foundered big time. so it will just be movies and what not
 
Well as long as there's no CPU-intensive tasks going on (which it doesn't sound like there are) it should work just fine then. It will "work" with 1GB of RAM, but it'd definitely be worth your while upping the amount.
 
Most likely, the RAID controller will not be able to handle RAID arrays beyond 2.2 terabytes, and may be fully incompatible with the drives depending on their SATA I backward compatibility and sector size (be it 512 bytes or 4 kb).
 
Back
Top