A need for speed...

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
14,959
So what do I get here? Straight up gaming monitor(S) with as fast a single gpu sys as u get.

opty 170 @2.6
2 gigs @ 3-3-3-8
74gb raptor
x-fi
1900xt @ 650/750

I have about $600-700 and want to know if it's that NEC 20GX2, the Viewsonic Vx2025 or the LG L1970HR, LG L203WT or maybe a dual 17" setup of fast lcds that will be the best setup?

I can live with 1280x1024 but what's going to be the fastest responding panel(s)?

Any reason to wait a few months?
 
Nec Owns in the 20" section, look at the thread with all of the pictures of this guys nec monitor, hl2 looks so good
 
it's not a panel under consideration. Acer isn't on my list especially when I can get the VX2025 for that.
 
Can you please explain to me why you dont like it though? I mean i just bought it and havent gotten it yet...youre making me nervous! ;)
 
I have no reason other than I've never seen it and I know that the models I've listed are proven except for the dual 17"option which I have no experience with. The Acer is simply an unknown quantity. Could be fine who knows? That's why I made a deal with my local shop so I could buy without worry b/c they will send it back if it sucks.
 
ah don't friggin remind me man my 24" CRT is amazing at crazy high res in WoW 2500x2024 or something insane like that. BUT I MUST HAVE MORE SPACE!! My stereo costs a boatload and I am not using it right by sitting 5 feet from them. The 3 1/2 feet I will regain by LCD is vital but an LCD capable of my CRT specs doesn't exist so whatever.

How about 2 x VX922?
 
spaceman said:
I have no reason other than I've never seen it and I know that the models I've listed are proven except for the dual 17"option which I have no experience with. The Acer is simply an unknown quantity. Could be fine who knows? That's why I made a deal with my local shop so I could buy without worry b/c they will send it back if it sucks.
oh ok ;) Well, ill report back here anyway when i get it
 
I'm getting the Samsung 20B from BB b/c I get it "free" with my Credit card rewards points and I can take it back until I get one I like.
 
Spaceman: Dropping down from a 24" to a 20" LCD is not going to work. After using a big screen with a high res it soon becomes a standard. I was having problems finding a good screen and ended up returning my 2405fpw, and bought a 20" Viewsonic VX2025.

Dont get me wrong it was an amazing screen, but it really did feel way too small. My dad's 19" 4:3 Dell felt bigger than it. Once you're using a wide, the 20" vertical height is a bit small. That NEC 20" looks amazing, but that IMO is way too much for a 20" screen. For a couple of hundred more you can get a much larger screen and it will make a huge difference.

I'm on a 23" Apple Cinema, and it is a bit out of your price range. But if you're a student you can grab one for 1099, not bad and only like 100 more than similar 23's.

But if you have to go 20" because of your budget, that's understandable, and the Viewsonic is the best in the 20" that I have ever used. The NEC I'm sure is even better, but at nearly double the price and not an increase in size seems a bit too much.
 
I know man. it is a big difference in size and the Apple would be the pick for me too but....$$$ is short right now and my wife will get on my a$$ if I get what I really want. On the upside the screen will only be about a foot or a foot and a half from my face so...
 
You need to go to Home Depot and pick up a sheet of MDF board and build a bigger desk so that you can keep that sweet 24" CRT. :D

FW900 ftw
 
I can run any monitor with my setup ffs I run BF2 at HIGH/6xaa 1920x1440 with 70-100fps.

The FW900 is too deep or long for my room. I sit too close to my stereo which cost more than my entire PC setup AND DLP projector lol.
 
Its cool space, I saw in some other threads you are going for a 20" Sammy. Is it a standard or wide screen? I'm really not impressed after years of 20" wides, too small for the money. I bet a 20" 4:3 would be real nice though.
 
20" 4:3 and yeah it will work.

Don't cry for me about size b/c a couple of switches and I turn around to a X1 DLP projector 72" screen @1024x768 w/ a 6k stereo to jam on.
 
jcll2002 said:
Can you please explain to me why you dont like it though? I mean i just bought it and havent gotten it yet...youre making me nervous! ;)


I have seen them at Uni,and they are very nice,but too pricy for what you get.
 
Back
Top