A little help please?

Need some advice here. I installed an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro today and now I am having startup issues.

Basically, the DRAM power LED on my motherboard is lit, so is the standby LED. Power/reset buttons won't do anything though.

System worked just fine prior to cracking her open today to drop the new cooler in.

I put the stock cooler back on and it still is the same issue...

The only thing I can think of is that there is a capacitor right next to the CPU fan plug that got ever so gently bumped (and I mean GENTLY), other than that I was super careful.

I am at a loss. Specs below...

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D motherboard
AMD64 x2 4800
Bfg 7800 GT OC videocard
Creative x-fi extreme music
4 x 512mb RAM
Aspire/Apevia 550w PSU

I am hoping I am just boneheadedly braindead rigth now and am missing something easy...

yes.

Then when I switched Coolers, I plugged that one in too.

The fact that the LED's are lit tells me the board is getting power. I am just wondering what else I could have done?

The board has onboard reset/power swicthes and those don't do anything either...

I would double check the connections for power leds ect, make sure everything is well connected. I seriously doubt a bumped capacitor is the problem.

Yeah double checked your connections. You may have disconnected something during the install.

Better safe than sorry. I am about to strip her down to bare bones and build back up... This way I can find the short or whatever it may be...

Thanks for the help guys.

**** edit****

Didn't seem to help. I am goign to have to attack it from a different angle tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas on what to troubleshoot first?

Ok, upon further research, it appears my PSU may be a goner. After reading up on the diy-street forums, I have learned that DFI boards are finicky with their PSU's and if you're not using a proper power supply, you may have issues.

Well, taking this to heart, I just tried jumping the very same PSU I have been using for months, and guess what? No juice to any of the fans or LED's in the PSU. No juice to the lone fan I had plugged into the thing either...

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D motherboard
Aspire/Apevia 550w PSU

Ok, upon further research, it appears my PSU may be a goner. After reading up on the diy-street forums, I have learned that DFI boards are finicky with their PSU's and if you're not using a proper power supply, you may have issues.

Heh, I'm surprised nobody mentioned it earlier... even surprised that I, myself, missed it. Yah, don't buy another Aspire. Here are some suggestions from the guru himself:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103

*UPDATE*

Took my PSU to Micro Center who tested and confirmed the DEAD STATUS. I had been eyeing the OCZ Gamestream 650w. They were sold out, but I picked up a Corsair HX520w Modular (the price fit right into my budget and since I couldn't get the jackoff to let me log onto the forum myself, I couldn't shop too much and knew the Corsair 620w was rated solid).

EUREKA!!! It works. Not only that, it's so damn quiet that I am going to have to re-mount my hard drives so I can kill the clicking noise coming from my system (a noise I NEVER heard over my loud ass PSU fans before).

But wait, there's more. I figured for shits and giggles I'd run 3dMark06 while I walked the dog. Came in to see a 4362 at all stock settings. Not bad considering on the old PSU, I scored a 4287 AFTER letting nTune do a quick run thru on my system.

I am now a PSU Advocate. Shout it from the hilltops.

Back