A korean off brand gsync panel... will probably never exist

tybert7

2[H]4U
I just realized this after seeing that post in the amd forums about a korean offbrand freesync screen.

Only official channels that receive the blessing/fees of nvidia are allowed so there added expense once the korean off brand panel suppliers start flexing their muscles will be immense.

I look forward to seeing the multiple hundreds of dollars of a cost cap for 4k displays using gsync vs freesync in 2016.

Sadly this is true, that's why I thought the freesync offbrand was thread worthy. There's gonna be a ton of different freesync monitors. I remember when the qnix qx2710 was like one of the best screens you could get a few years ago

Last edited:
As Adaptive Sync display production increases the costs will go down + anybody can make them.

Gsync, well you'll have to continue to pay to play.

Off Brands: When you have the money, but too cheap to spend it on something better.

I've owned three Korean monitors Catleap and Qnix. Good experiences but never again.
Worrying about when it will die was enough to sell them before it happened.

Honestly, I think all screens will support adaptive sync sooner rather than later. Because of the lack of licensing fees all the major scaler chip creators will just integrate it right into their chips and by virtue of it already being there almost all monitors will support adaptive sync.

If a Korean monitor isn't an LG or Samsung I'm not too interested.

Off Brands: When you have the money, but too cheap to spend it on something better.

I've owned three Korean monitors Catleap and Qnix. Good experiences but never again.

I'm still using my achieva shimian from several years back, no issues. 395 shipped from Korea. This was back before they dropped to below 300 dollars.

Exactly. Im sitting with a 970 right now and will be upgrading by the end of the year. At first a 980ti was a lock. But now, the more I think about it, I'll probably go fury.

The korean monitors deals are just too good to pass up. I.e. where else will you find a deal like the following with g-sync?
LG AH-IPS panel
42"
Freesync
10bit
4:4:4 support
HDCP 2.2
HDMI 2.0
DP 1.2a
non-pwm (flicker free)
$749
link
Simply wont happen. I'll likely pick up the above and bring my u3415w to work..

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So far the quality control on Freesync displays has been abysmal. I think it would be a mistake to have gsync on a substandard knock off display.

So far the quality control on Freesync displays has been abysmal. I think it would be a mistake to have gsync on a substandard knock off display.
The only mistake was Nvidia not opening up G-sync when they had the chance.

The only mistake was Nvidia not opening up G-sync when they had the chance.

Open it up to who? Intel has shown zero interest in Freesync or Gsync and AMD has 20% or less of the video card market (most of which is low end cards). What would be the point?

Why hasn't AMD released the source code for Freesync?

someone doesn't know the difference between open source, and open standard.

lol

async is, freesync is just the trademark name for AMDs drivers.

Which changes nothing. Freesync is still closed and proprietary. You might want to google some of these terms and learn what it is we are talking about.

Either way Gsync is supported on nearly 80% of the video cards currently being sold. That's pretty good.

Which changes nothing. Freesync is still closed and proprietary. You might want to google some of these terms and learn what it is we are talking about.

Either way Gsync is supported on nearly 80% of the video cards currently being sold. That's pretty good.

:confused:

You are ignoring the original point that freesync cost nothing while g-sync requires a licensing fee.

Who freakin' cares? We all know that Adaptive-Sync is the industry standard and FreeSync is AMD's driver implementation of AS. People are just using the terms FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync interchangeably.

Support does not equal demand. There are already more Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync models on the market than G-sync despite G-sync having over a one year head start.

That is why freesync may just be the winner. People bought the Wasabi Mango UHD420 because is was a good screen. With enough tinkering months later someone finds out you can enable freesync with a firmware update. That is truly a definition of free IMO. Amd will definitely get a boon from that, especially because there will be more and probably better models down the line. There's actually a pretty big market for those korean off brand monitors, people looking for a good screen on a budget.

Why are you worried about when they will die? I've had my Catleap for 3 years and no issues at all. Other than the garbage stands they come with, they're great monitors.

You keep repeating this over and over like it has some meaning. With the implication that this makes Freesync + Adaptive Sync just as proprietary as G-Sync.

Of course the software that lets AMD's cards interface with the Adaptive Sync standard (Freesync) is proprietary and closed. What use would an open standard for just AMD cards be to anyone else. It's pointless to even mention it's proprietary of course it is.

The open part is that anyone else is free to create their own implementation, (eg. iN-Sync :p) unlike G-Sync.

Then you go back to the tired market share argument. "pretty good" Is irrelevant, if Nvidia had 95% market share it wouldn't make G-Sync any less closed, proprietary or costly.

Yeah PRIME1, the problem here is this:

*sync caters to a very small population of gamers who:

1. Hate running VSYNC
2. Can't stand tearing at 60 Hz
3. Can't be satisfied with the already widely-available 144 Hz panels (which reduce the overall impression of a tear in a frame by shortening each frame)

That's a pretty short list. I think that with the premium it's going to cost to install Gsync, it's going to severely limit how many monitors are available.

I think the thing you are most ignoring is the fast proliferation of cheap-to-add features. This has happened with features like 3D, Smart TV, LED backlight, most of which are now fairly standard. These "features" were added to sets just to make them stand out on a spec sheet.

Who's to say we won't see a similar pattern with a feature like Freesync on computer displays? Don't have a Freesync-capable video card? No worries, the monitor itself has fairly high refresh rates and gaming-oriented features, and a price hundreds less than the Gsync model.

I imagine people will buy the less expensive option (especially when monitor makers can also support their own version of ULMB). I foresee Freesync monitors selling in droves and that may be enough to get Nvidia and Intel interested in offering support.

After all PRIME1, for every 1 person who paid $600-800 for early 27" 1440p display made by a major OEM, two people took a chance and bought a Catleap for $300. Eventually the unbalanced pricing corrected itself (and you can get a quality major OEM 1440p panel for $300-400), and you can be sure that the vast majority of 1440p monitors sell at that price point. To a certain limit, cheaper = gooder :D

Last edited:
I think it is up to users to pressure NVidia into supporting Adaptive-Sync. By voting with their wallets, expressing their dissatisfaction, etc. Games journalists don't do it, OEMs and manufacturers (apparently) don't do it, so who else is left?

About PRIME1:
I stopped thinking that PRIME1 is a serious account, he must be some kind of parody.
When I come into a thread about AMD/NVidia, I wonder what could be the worst imaginable NVidia troll post, and lo! PRIME1 already posted it.
So it is probably best to have a good laugh at what he posts and otherwise not bother with it.

Last edited:
Why are you worried about when they will die? I've had my Catleap for 3 years and no issues at all. Other than the garbage stands they come with, they're great monitors.

That post confused me as well. He owned three different Korean panels, obviously liked all three and yet is now backing away from them. If anything, you'd think his faith in Korean monitors would increase after three good experiences.

Weird.

That post confused me as well. He owned three different Korean panels, obviously liked all three and yet is now backing away from them. If anything, you'd think his faith in Korean monitors would increase after three good experiences.

Weird.

Seems to be a conflicted case of experience with well priced Korean monitors versus the high priced nvidia marketing system.

Seems to be a conflicted case of experience with well priced Korean monitors versus the high priced nvidia marketing system.

No, if you hang around here enough, WorldExclusive just downplays everything AMD puts out with some straw man reasoning that doesn't help.

Case in point: There was a topic here about some dude's multimonitor PLP setup that Nvidia still cannot do so he immediately felt the need to defend Nvidia by saying something like "PLP is obsolete, go upgrade already"

Kyle had to step in and delete his posts... "Reason: Threadcrap"

He did the same thing in this thread, in his classic condescending fashion. Makes fun of off-brand monitors despite the fact that he bought them, then advises against them even though he had a good experience. Logic not found.

Honestly, I think he's up there with PRIME1, 5150Joker, madgun, SprayingMango, and the rest of the Nvidia lot. There's not that many of them you can have a proper discussion with. Thankfully, there are still some here that you can, but they usually stay in Nvidia Flavor which makes a lot of sense considering they have better things to do with their time than heading over to AMD Flavor and transforming into Green Team's Justice Warriors.

Last edited:
No, if you hang around here enough, WorldExclusive just downplays everything AMD puts out with some straw man reasoning that doesn't help.

Case in point: There was a topic here about some dude's multimonitor PLP setup that Nvidia still cannot do so he immediately felt the need to defend Nvidia by saying something like "PLP is obsolete, go upgrade already"

Kyle had to step in and delete his posts... "Reason: Threadcrap"

Ah TY, need to update my special people list.

I'm very likely biting on one of these Korean Freesync monitors soon...

Back