• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

a good but cheap video card?

colore

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 18, 2010
Messages
419
hello

can you suggest me a good but cheap video card?
if it includes tv card it would be best

ask me if you need any info about my system
it's AMD 1090T, 4GB

thanks
 
tv card, as in tv tuner card? to input video signal into the computer?
just clarifying.
I don't know of any all in one cards anymore, ati used to make them.
 
If its for a HTPC, any card will do. Hell, any onboard graphics will do. If its for games, the 4850 has gotta get the nod. Will play any game at 1920x1080 and can usually be had for under $100. Haven't looked in a while so there may not be any left tho.
 
They dont make tv tuner/video card combos anymore. You will have to get 2 cards. A TV tuner and an actual video card. If you are looking for output for a tv, look for a video card that has an HDMI output that supports audio.
 
The GTX 430 s support HDMI sound, not gaming cards though, about $60 I think.
 
I wouldn't look for a GPU with a TV tuner. If you want a TV tuner, get a separate USB tuner.
 
tv card, as in tv tuner card? to input video signal into the computer?

yes, so that I will be able to watch TV on my PC

If its for a HTPC, any card will do. Hell, any onboard graphics will do. If its for games, the 4850 has gotta get the nod. Will play any game at 1920x1080 and can usually be had for under $100. Haven't looked in a while so there may not be any left tho.

my screen is 1600x900 so is this an overkill?
it is not HTPC, it is a desktop

The GTX 430 s support HDMI sound, not gaming cards though, about $60 I think.

I need the card for gaming too!

I wouldn't look for a GPU with a TV tuner. If you want a TV tuner, get a separate USB tuner.

okay, then I would like some GPU suggestions

What is the dollar amount that is considered budget?

I suppose below 100 USD!
 
look for a motherboard with integrated graphics, especially with nVidia ION or AMD Fusion, and then use the onboard and a tv tuner card.
 
look for a motherboard with integrated graphics, especially with nVidia ION or AMD Fusion, and then use the onboard and a tv tuner card.


He needs the card for gaming too. Onboard isn't going to work.
 
I can vouch for GT430 for light gaming, runs FO NV on my 23" 1920x1080 on high quality with some AA and AF at 30+ fps.
 
No, don't get a GT430. It's not terrible, but a 5670 beats it, and of course the 6670 has even better specs.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/11/galaxy_geforce_gt_430_video_card_review/8

"In three out of four games, the ATI Radeon HD 5670 outperformed the Galaxy GeForce GT 430. In two of those three games, the difference was tremendous. The HD 5670 launched in January of 2010, and NVIDIA is just now getting around to answering the challenge in this market segment. From the gamer perspective, there is not much to be excited about regarding the GeForce GT 430 when the Radeon HD 55xx and 56xx series has been out for so long.

Overall, the GeForce GT 430 is an improvement over the previous generation, but can't compete with the Radeon HD 5670 in gaming."
 
No, don't get a GT430. It's not terrible, but a 5670 beats it, and of course the 6670 has even better specs.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/11/galaxy_geforce_gt_430_video_card_review/8

"In three out of four games, the ATI Radeon HD 5670 outperformed the Galaxy GeForce GT 430. In two of those three games, the difference was tremendous. The HD 5670 launched in January of 2010, and NVIDIA is just now getting around to answering the challenge in this market segment. From the gamer perspective, there is not much to be excited about regarding the GeForce GT 430 when the Radeon HD 55xx and 56xx series has been out for so long.

Overall, the GeForce GT 430 is an improvement over the previous generation, but can't compete with the Radeon HD 5670 in gaming."

On top of this review, the 6670 should be a little bit faster (assuming you get the GDDR5 version).
 
I've got a EVGA 9800GTX+ that I'd be willing to sell to you. PM if interested. Thanks!
 
+1 for the 5750 above.

Beats all others by quite a bit and is still light enough on power demands.
 
if you are looking sub 100 dollar card, i think used gtx 280, gtx 285, gtx 460 would do a job.

again, it's hard to give you recommendation when we don't know what your budget is and what you are looking to do...
 
I return to this topic because I found some interesting information

it seems there are some video cards with TV tuner intergrated, for example the SAPPHIRE HD 5570 XtendTV 1GB GDDR5
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0001&pid=1094

anyway, I am looking for a good card to play games smoothly, but also my whole system to be overall more responsive:

first AMD is the first choice (not only because my processor is AMD, so I suppose it will cooperate better with an AMD video card, but also because I had some bad experience with nVidia)

second, 1GB seems the way to go for me (based on budget and needs)

third, at least PCI-Express 2.0 is the way to go, since my motherboard supports this
but I dont know what to answer in these questions:

GDDR5 or not necessarily?
256bit or not necessarily?
DirectX11 or not necessarily?

after answering these questions, which cheapest specific model would you suggest? even without TV Tuner
thanks!
 
Why get a 5750 when a 6750 is more powerful and the same price?

Because the 6750 isnt more powerful?

It is a rebadged 5750 that is why it costs exactly the same :p

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4296/amds-radeon-hd-6770-radeon-hd-6750-the-retail-radeon-5700-rebadge


Sorry got sidetracked, let's see, a 5570 wont give you smooth gaming honestly unless you reduce quite your graphical settings, and even then it will be ~50% of a 5750


http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...570-xtendtv-1gb-gddr5-933220/review?artc_pg=2

There you go, a sort of review of that Sapphire, they found the 3d acceptable but the tuner ability not quite, i wouldn't find the 3d acceptable but that is just me from seeing anandtech's review and thinking about the future.
 
Last edited:
a GTX 590.

Also just because its an AMD chip doesnt mean it works better with AMD cards. You can snag a used GTX 275 for around 90 these days, and they are great little cards, I was able to play at 2048x1536 in everygame except metro2033 at full settings well Metro and Crysis lol
 
Back
Top