A few questions about Creative X-Fi

HighwayAssassins said:
Are you saying that that cord will give me a digital connection to my speakers?

Of course that would only be 2 channels right?

Why is it so hard to get a 5.1 digital connection?

thats analog.. you might aswell that unless you have a very good DAC between that and your speakers.

Jason711 said:
thats analog.. you might aswell that unless you have a very good DAC between that and your speakers.
thats why i never bothered plugging anythign into that port...but it does say digital I/O as Terra pointed out
confused.gif
confused.gif

but the cord is analog, right?
confused.gif
confused.gif

HighwayAssassins said:
thats why i never bothered plugging anythign into that port...but it does say digital I/O as Terra pointed out
confused.gif
confused.gif

but the cord is analog, right?
confused.gif
confused.gif

yeah, its analog/stereo. digital would have a single ended rca style connector. and that would have to run through a DAC and amplifier. so it really isnt worth it unless you have a dac that is known to be better than the one you have on your sound card.

after readin thru this thread....all i have to say is

BF2, Quake 4, and CoD2 sound AMAZING compared to my old audigy 2 value and 2.1 speaker setup....

ive heard sounds i never notivced before, and yes it has that bullet wizzing by your head effect in game, ive noticed myself dodging to the side in games from explosions or gunfire...i love it!

P3N1X0R said:
after readin thru this thread....all i have to say is

BF2, Quake 4, and CoD2 sound AMAZING compared to my old audigy 2 value and 2.1 speaker setup....

ive heard sounds i never notivced before, and yes it has that bullet wizzing by your head effect in game, ive noticed myself dodging to the side in games from explosions or gunfire...i love it!

Even from a Audigy 2 Value on 5.1 to X-Fi on 7.1 thee is a tremendous difference ;)

Terra...

Terra said:
Even from a Audigy 2 Value on 5.1 to X-Fi on 7.1 thee is a tremendous difference ;)

Terra...

well i went from A2 value on 2.1, upgraded it all to X-fi Music to a 5.1 setup, splendid!

P3N1X0R said:
well i went from A2 value on 2.1, upgraded it all to X-fi Music to a 5.1 setup, splendid!

Yup :)
Games are meant to be played in surround with EAX ;)

Terra - They way it's meant to be heard ;) :D *LOL*

Terra said:
The Audigy 2 is an "Value" $69.95.
The stats you posted that were so BAD ASS were for the X-Fi Elite Pro, NOT the Audigy 2. This thread however is for a X-Fi, neither the X-Fi Elite Pro or the Audigy 2.
You have got to be kidding me. Right here and now I realize you don't know a bit about digital audio. You have fun when you plug that into your digital I/O port and try to feed digital signal through a 2 channel analog cord. Read the description on Creative's page and tell me if you see anything about digital audio? The connector is a standard 2 channel connection to 2 RCA plugs, not a digital RCA cord.
Again, 24-bit Crystalizer...
3rd point "debunked"...
I see a pattern here...
Far from debunked. When watching a DVD, I prefer my audio to be 100% untouched, something you dont understand.
It's not from the "front" of my PC, again your statements have little to do with the real world :rolleyes:
I have digital In/Out fra the back of my CARD....and from the back of this:
XFiPro_pdt_lo.jpg
Again, find me a connection that goes from your digital I/O to a standard RCA or optical cable, and I might consider a X-Fi. For now, there isn't a solution. I prefer not to have a huge mixing box (X-Fi Elite Pro) sitting on my desk just to get a few standard digital connections.
But I guess you need to change your "stance" now, as your original has been blasted out of the water...
Please go re-read what I wrote. I stated that there IS A BIG difference between onboad analog and Creative's analog quality. Creative blows it out of the water. I then stated that when using digital media, there is no difference between your digital output and my digital output. I suggest that if you have a receiver with a digital input, find a cable, and test it out.
Terra said:
Actuallu he stated that NONE of creative's PCI cards had digital out
Please don't quote me if your not going to quote me correctly. Let me quote myself. Thank you.
tgillespie said:
2: I too had an Audigy 2 with a digital output. Take a look at that connection.... does it look like anything thats supported by anything BUT Creative speakers? What a great use that is when you don't own creative speakers
altcon said:
Seriously though, whoever claims no sound difference between onboard ANALOG and the Creative cards -is either deaf or hearing impaired...
I stated that there was a difference between Creative analog audio and onboard analog audio. Let me repost
tgillespie said:
There is a difference between onboard AC97 analog audio and Creative analog audio
Lastly, lets clear up something on THX.
[url="http://member.php?u=23648" said:
Jason711[/url]]they are not going to sound the same.
Please take a look at your sound card or your THX media and tell me if you can find any chip or CPU on it refering to THX? Nope? What does this tell you? THX is a certification standard. You are correct in that there are different THX certifications. A certification is a certification in which the equipment can pass certain frequency tests, not enhance your audio. The THX equipment sounds only as good as your source feeds.

no shit, thanks for clearing the OBVIOUS for me. :rolleyes:

and as far as digital outputs are concerned, there will be a difference (depending on quality of dacs) between an optical connection and the digital coax. the optical dac introduces a jitter into the signal (again, depending on quality).

i do agree that i want nothing "extra" touching my audio.

tgillespie said:
The stats you posted that were so BAD ASS were for the X-Fi Elite Pro, NOT the Audigy 2. This thread however is for a X-Fi, neither the X-Fi Elite Pro or the Audigy 2.

I was responding to your claim in Post #14:
Not joking. For me, spending $100 on a sound card that does not include a digital output is pointless. Creative does sound. You think after some 5 odd years of digital media they would have found a way to include a digital output on their PCI cards

That was your statment, I can only replay to what you write, not what you, sorry.

You have got to be kidding me.

No?

Right here and now I realize you don't know a bit about digital audio. You have fun when you plug that into your digital I/O port and try to feed digital signal through a 2 channel analog cord. Read the description on Creative's page and tell me if you see anything about digital audio? The connector is a standard 2 channel connection to 2 RCA plugs, not a digital RCA cord

3.5mm 1/8 MINI 2 RCA AUDIO CABLE IPOD/PC Y ADAPTER
This kind of cable can also be used for digital connetions plug the cable to the digital out of your soundcard and connet the white/black output to your coaxial in.
If you won't take my word for it, ask Creative...
Or look at this piccy from my X-FI quick guide:
digoi4nt.jpg

Far from debunked. When watching a DVD, I prefer my audio to be 100% untouched, something you dont understand.Again, find me a connection that goes from your digital I/O to a standard RCA or optical cable, and I might consider a X-Fi.

Again:
That cabel allows for digital out
If you won't take my word for it, ask Creative...

I even have more options:
digbox2qr.jpg

That box even allows me to control the mater volume of my PC speakers via my remote...

For now, there isn't a solution. I prefer not to have a huge mixing box (X-Fi Elite Pro) sitting on my desk just to get a few standard digital connections.

If you don't like the box fine.
Don't but creative...problem solved.
No one is forcing you...
But you are making a lot of comments about a product you won't buy...
Why do you hate Creative?

Please go re-read what I wrote. I stated that there IS A BIG difference between onboad analog and Creative's analog quality. Creative blows it out of the water. I then stated that when using digital media, there is no difference between your digital output and my digital output. I suggest that if you have a receiver with a digital input, find a cable, and test it out.Please don't quote me if your not going to quote me correctly. Let me quote myself. Thank you.I stated that there was a difference between Creative analog audio and onboard analog audio. Let me repost Lastly, lets clear up something on THX.Please take a look at your sound card or your THX media and tell me if you can find any chip or CPU on it refering to THX? Nope? What does this tell you? THX is a certification standard. You are correct in that there are different THX certifications. A certification is a certification in which the equipment can pass certain frequency tests, not enhance your audio. The THX equipment sounds only as good as your source feeds.

All audio is dependant on the source feed?

Terra...

obviously, if you play an mp3 over extremely hi-fi equiment it is going to expose what it truely sounds like. your not gonna like it.

that cable certainly wasnt designed for a digital signal, though technically just about any wire can carry one. i personally wouldnt put any stock in it.

but then again, i may be coming from an entirely wrong angle. so disregard.

Jason711 said:
that cable certainly wasnt designed for a digital signal, though technically just about any wire can carry one. i personally wouldnt put any stock in it.

but then again, i may be coming from an entirely wrong angle. so disregard.
A digital coaxial cable is nothing more than a video RCA cable.

SLee said:
A digital coaxial cable is nothing more than a video RCA cable.

yes, and compare a cable like that to the one mentioned above. given the option, you dont want the little one.

Jason711 said:
yes, and compare a cable like that to the one mentioned above. given the option, you dont want the little one.

Why not?
It's digital?

Terra...

Terra, I think you may be thinking of this. A digital coax input does not have slots for 2 RCA connections. I'm glad you have more options, but I simply don't have $350 to drop on a sound card. My movies sound exactly the same as yours, so no reason to spend the cash. I'm glad your able to control the volume with a remote. I too can control my volume with a remote. I don't dislike Creative, I just find it stupid that you have to spend so much money to get standard digital connections. I've owned Creative products and have been very satisfied with them when gaming. Outside of gaming, I find their feature set useless. Lastly, when talking THX, your audio is as good as its source. Unlike Dolby decoders, there are no THX decoders that enhance your audio to a higher quality.

Terra said:
Why not?
It's digital?

Terra...
Cables are not digital. Cables are cables. The cable you linked to has a 2 channel 3.5mm jack which wouldn't fit up correctly on your digital I/O port. Take a look at the jack I linked to and you will see that its 1 channel.

tgillespie said:
Terra, I think you may be thinking of this. A digital coax input does not have slots for 2 RCA connections. I'm glad you have more options, but I simply don't have $350 to drop on a sound card. My movies sound exactly the same as yours, so no reason to spend the cash. I'm glad your able to control the volume with a remote. I too can control my volume with a remote.

The speaker volume, not windows volume?
With the same remote that you use for PLAY, STOP, FFW ect?

I don't dislike Creative, I just find it stupid that you have to spend so much money to get standard digital connections. I've owned Creative products and have been very satisfied with them when gaming. Outside of gaming, I find their feature set useless. Lastly, when talking THX, your audio is as good as its source. Unlike Dolby decoders, there are no THX decoders that enhance your audio to a higher quality.

I never said there was any THX hardware, only that the card was THX-certified...

Terra...

Terra said:
The speaker volume, not windows volume?
With the same remote that you use for PLAY, STOP, FFW ect?
Yes.

Please remain on topic. The poster wanted help with configuring his 5500s with his X-Fi. Being that I have 5500s, I offered my advice on sound setup. Being that you have an X-Fi, stop arguing about remotes and give the guy some advice.

tgillespie said:
Cables are not digital. Cables are cables. The cable you linked to has a 2 channel 3.5mm jack which wouldn't fit up correctly on your digital I/O port. Take a look at the jack I linked to and you will see that its 1 channel.

Oh, my bad.
This is the cable you want:
http://dk.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?category=12&subcategory=0&product=179&

Digital Jack to Digital DIN and RCA Adapter - 3 Pole
pic_prod179_lang1.jpg

Something like that you where thinking about?

Strangely I can't find it on creative english page, only the danish link

Terra - Sorry for the confusion :)

Terra said:
Oh, my bad.
This is the cable you want:
http://dk.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?category=12&subcategory=0&product=179&

Digital Jack to Digital DIN and RCA Adapter - 3 Pole
pic_prod179_lang1.jpg

Something like that you where thinking about?

Strangely I can't find it on creative english page, only the danish link

Terra - Sorry for the confusion :)
Not that. See how the coax connection is female. Every coax connection I have seen on devices has been female, so your cable would need to be male. I have no idea what that red thing is, but its not needed. This is what one needs. http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/RCA-mini-spdif.html It does not have to be made by Creative either.

OK, I go grab my retail American Beauty because its the only movie I know of off the top of my head with DTS. pop that bitch into my drive and play it with PowerDVD 6. When set to Dolby 5.1, it sounds fine. When set to DTS however, sound just stops. I mess aroudn in the little creative control panel to decode externally, still no sound...

DTS just doesnt work! anyone know how to fix this? Does it matter than i am on an analog 6 ch direct connection to my Z-5500's? (it shouldnt)

HighwayAssassins said:
OK, I go grab my retail American Beauty because its the only movie I know of off the top of my head with DTS. pop that bitch into my drive and play it with PowerDVD 6. When set to Dolby 5.1, it sounds fine. When set to DTS however, sound just stops. I mess aroudn in the little creative control panel to decode externally, still no sound...

DTS just doesnt work! anyone know how to fix this? Does it matter than i am on an analog 6 ch direct connection to my Z-5500's? (it shouldnt)

Dunno anything about PowerDVD, I use Windows Media Player+Purevideo+K-LiteCodecPack via analog to Creative T7900 and DTS works fine here?

Terra...

HighwayAssassins said:
still no sound.

Do you have the K-lite codec pack?
I couldn't get DTS to work in WMP before I installed that?

Terra...

Terra said:
Do you have the K-lite codec pack?
I couldn't get DTS to work in WMP before I installed that?

Terra...
you are right...I had to install some plugins for PowerDVD.

It works now ;)

My biggest caveat with Creative's cards is that they do not do hardware decoding of Dolby or DTS. There is no excuse for that on cards as good as theirs.

PCMusicGuy said:
My biggest caveat with Creative's cards is that they do not do hardware decoding of Dolby or DTS. There is no excuse for that on cards as good as theirs.
yea, i can see where you are coming from...

but in Creatives Defense, you are wrong. the X-Fi does decode it onboard.

Creative should be including those digital out cables with any card that has that ridiculous jack, and not forcing you to go to a foreign language site to find the appropriate cable that they carry. Most video cards with video out will include a cable that will allow you to connect anything you want.

the only plugins i ever need to use are xvid or divx... and thats on the rare occasion i use wmp. i use vlc for everything else.

personally i just media player classic, and the all in 1 codec pack. thats it. nothing else needed, it plays everything

Not my question!
Does VLC utilize PureVideo(GPU post processing) yes or no?

Terra - Cause I won't ditch PureVideo, now that I got it...

Back