A discussion about buying computer hardware online and identity theft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
Okay, so I've always heard horror stories about people getting their identities stolen and credit card #s getting stolen as well but of course I never wouldve figured that it would happen to me. after all, who does?

so here's my story. I decided to chop up all of my credit cards a few years ago after I paid them all off. I figured that if I couldnt afford to pay for something in full (with cash) then I couldnt afford to have it period. but I quickly learned that you need at least one major credit card for simple things like car rentals and such where just having an ATM check card (with the VISA logo) just isnt good enough. so I decided to get a Mastercard at the beginning of this year.

this credit card has a $7500 credit limit. I have only used this credit card online to pay for my computer upgrades and what not. I have never used it at any retail stores.

okay, so this month's credit card statement hasnt came in yet which is what threw the first red flag. I usually get the statement between the 10th and 20th day of every month. so here we are on the 26th and still no statement. so I told myself that I was going to call my credit card company tomorrow and see why I havent recieved my statement yet.

so just this morning, I needed to order something online and my order for $15 was denied by my credit card company. I then called my CC company to ask them why my order was denied. they told me it was because my balance was already over my limit by $35! yes, my CC already has a balance of $7535 on it which is all unauthorized, fraudulent charges. the customer service lady also told me that the reason why I havent recieved my statement this month was because someone had called in and claimed that my address was changed to somewhere in Miami, FL. this is where all of these bogus purchases have been going to. I live like 6 hours north of Miami so I asked the customer service lady what the address in Miami was because I was tempted to drive down there and beat the shit out of someone for stealing my credit card number and changing my address.

the customer service lady told me that she couldnt give me the address and she also told me that I wouldnt be liable for any of the unauthorized purchases. there were only two companies that were used on my credit card. one was from a company called "Express Video" and the second was a company called "Varizoom". both of these companies sell video equipment and they both sold over $7500 of stuff to my credit card # that was stolen.

how this happened is a complete mystery to me other than someone got into my computer and got my valuable information. this is the kind of thing that you read about but you never imagine that it could happen to you until in fact it does happen. thats when you go ballastic like I did and you start to wonder what else can and might go wrong....

moral of my story is this: be very carefull when you use a credit card to make your online purchases. things can and quite possibly could go wrong just like things did with me. fortunately for me my CC company told me I was protected and that they would be sending me a new credit card and that I wouldnt be liable for any unauthorized charges. hopefully this will be the end of the line and nothing more will happen like this to me. what a freakin' nightmare... :(

Mod Edit: While this is unfortunate and identity theft is a growing problem, it isn't an issue really for The General Hardware Forum.

The issue, as a topic of it's own, is more suitable for discussion in General Mayham:
http://www.hardforum.com/announcement.php?f=85&announcementid=50

Good Luck in resolving the matter. :)

i know you heard that some 400,000 credit card numbers, billing address, name, the little number on the back, were stolen then sold on-line....gotta watch those hackers..

Glad it worked out in the end.

I swear i hate scammers, lazy bastards don't realize that their energy can be diverted to more productive things, like working a legitimate job.

I hope all would-be scammers pay heed, don't be tempted!

You're right about being careful, but stuff like this happens even if you never use your credit card online.

For what it's worth...

My wife's credit card company called earlier this year telling us that there were some unusual charges on the card. Turns out someone got the number and bought some crap over the internet. When all was said and done we weren't liable for the costs which were less than $200. That number was cancelled and the card company issued us new cards.

After about a month I followed up with the company and had an interesting chat with one of their fraud investigation people. He told me that the most common source of credit card numbers is not through hacked online purchases but restaurants. He said that when you pay for a meal with a credit card the waiter takes your card in the back and they have plenty of opportunity to copy your number. Any time your card is out of your sight in someone else's hands there is the potential to have the number stolen. Also, he said that you are probably more secure when you enter the number into a secure web site rather than giving it out verbally over the phone. You never know if the person taking the verbal order is writing the number down in their personal notebook.

The point is we should always be carefull when we use our cards. Just because we give out our numbers through more traditional means doesn't mean that we are more secure than if we use the newfangled ways.

I like cash. Anonymous and final.

See, this sucks for me. I don't have a credit card, only a debit card with the Mastercard shit. So if my card gets stolen, I'm not protected. I keep telling myself I need to get a card, but I never do. I like not having any charges on my debit card when I make a purchase.

I have no idea about Mastercard debit cards, but I'm sure you've seen all the commercials about Visa debit cards being covered.

ozziegn said:
moral of my story is this: be very carefull when you use a credit card to make your online purchases. things can and quite possibly could go wrong just like things did with me. fortunately for me my CC company told me I was protected and that they would be sending me a new credit card and that I wouldnt be liable for any unauthorized charges. hopefully this will be the end of the line and nothing more will happen like this to me. what a freakin' nightmare... :(
Actually the moral is to set a low limit on the card, buy everything piecemeal...

your account number should not be visible on your copy of a receipt at any place.
this is just a heads up to people that like to use your cc excessively.
if u notice that your account number does show and isnt x'd out, please let the place know because they are liable for a hefty fine.

honkee said:
your account number should not be visible on your copy of a receipt at any place.
this is just a heads up to people that like to use your cc excessively.
if u notice that your account number does show and isnt x'd out, please let the place know because they are liable for a hefty fine.

On the customer's copy yes, but the store copy has the whole number on it.

I work in the point-of-sale industry so I know all about CC processing. The funny thing is that your credit card is mainly protected by the honesty of the hundreds of clerks who swipe your card. Scary thought eh? ;)

So yes, online shopping is much safer than giving your card to some snot-nosed kid at the local shop-o-rama. (as long as it's a reputable site.)

yes on the customers copy its illegal.
everything should be x'd out with the exception of the last 4 numbers.
i should know since i got fined early this year for not updating my machine with my merchant system.

i am really careful with all my invoices i keep, they are locked up in a vault at a local bank.
:cool:

well I'm still angry because my CC company will not give me the address in Miami where the fraudulent purchases were sent to. :mad:

oh, and by the way, guess where else the freakin' bastards used my CC at?

Newegg.com! now Newegg shouldve known better than that. I've done business with them for how many years now and I have never, ever changed my shipping or billing address.

so that right there shouldve raised a red flag with Newegg and they should have at least sent me an email asking about any address changes. but no, they didnt do anything.

ozziegn said:

Newegg.com! now Newegg shouldve known better than that. I've done business with them for how many years now and I have never, ever changed my shipping or billing address.

so that right there shouldve raised a red flag with Newegg and they should have at least sent me an email asking about any address changes. but no, they didnt do anything.

People do move. As long as the billing and shipping addresses match up, they will make the charge.

EDIT: I feel your pain though. Sucks to go through the hassle.

Milenko said:
See, this sucks for me. I don't have a credit card, only a debit card with the Mastercard shit. So if my card gets stolen, I'm not protected. I keep telling myself I need to get a card, but I never do. I like not having any charges on my debit card when I make a purchase.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that if you have a debit Mastercard of Visa, if you make your purchases as credit, you will get the protection, and the money will still only come out of your checking account. So when you swipe your card and it asks you to choose Debit or Credit, choose credit.
ozziegn said:

I order things for myself and other people and have them sent to different addresses (work, home, etc) all the time, so i wouldn't think that would raise a flag. They're really only concerned about getting the money from you.

Just get a copy of your CC statement and phone up the places where the fraudulant charges occured at. Im sure you will be able to get the shipping address from someone. Just make up some sob story or something, get the address, drive to the guys house, beat the shit out of him, and then say something Arnold like, like "your credit limit has been reached" or some other chessy one liner like that. :D

BINGO!

I just talked to one of the retailors who the bastard bought almost $3K worth of stuff and she gave me his address.

now the time has come for me to get this a-hole into some serious trouble.

more to come as I follow through with this.....

oh damn
u need any hard members to help regulate on this guy?
what an asshle, and you know whats funny, its probably some underage kid.

Man, I am so paranoid these past few weeks because some telemarketing company (Vichy Financial or whatever the hell it is) called up with the offering of 'free' $100 gas voucher, but all for only $1. I was afraid they might be charging my account. I called up BankOne, asked them about how this company got ahold of my account info, and the guy said he had never even heard of the company and could not find anything in the records about them.

I then had my account frozen so no new transactions on the account could be credited. A few days later, $2.00 in pending charges showed up. $1.00 has since disappeared, I assume because it's been a long time and the charge can't be processed.

Still, gotta watch your account like a hawk sometimes. I signed up with BankOne's cardmember services online to keep watch on my account activity.

And if you need, we can mail this guy some horrible things. Hehehehe. :D

I think its wierd that they would let that many purchases go unnoticed with out contacting you.

My parent drove down to florida for bike week this year and on the way down my uncle paid for gas(they were towing the bikes and riding in a car.) And on the way back from Florida(we live in Michigan) they had to stop every couple of hours and they would pay for gas with the credit card. The 3rd time they stopped thier credit card was denied. Which is a hassle but reasuring.

I just cannt believe they let somone charge that much without calling you.

bonkrowave
Just get a copy of your CC statement and phone up the places where the fraudulant charges occured at. Im sure you will be able to get the shipping address from someone. Just make up some sob story or something, get the address, drive to the guys house, beat the shit out of him, and then say something Arnold like, like "your credit limit has been reached" or some other chessy one liner like that.

True but sometimes people have things called guns :eek:

ozziegn said:
how this happened is a complete mystery to me other than someone got into my computer and got my valuable information. this is the kind of thing that you read about but you never imagine that it could happen to you until in fact it does happen. thats when you go ballastic like I did and you start to wonder what else can and might go wrong....

Can I ask a stupid question? Why on EARTH did you have this info on your computer? To have this happen, you would have had to:
1 - Had all your CC info in one neat little document on your computer
2 - Had not cleared your browser's cache and autofill info in ages

#1 is highly unlikely, I'm guessing that since you are on [H] you know better than to do this. But #2 is a commonly-overlooked one. Whenever I buy anything on the internet, I clear ALL of my browsers cache, saved passwords, saved entry forms, cookies, and whatnot. Never had a problem yet. Anyways, glad to hear it worked out.

You just need a bigger gun :) we all know that this person is either going to some 14 year old living in his parents basement, and will wet himself when the guy arrives ... or some 40 year old guy, like the comic book guy from the simpsons, who wont be able to stick his hotdog fingers through the trigger guard.

sac_tagg said:
Can I ask a stupid question? Why on EARTH did you have this info on your computer? To have this happen, you would have had to:
1 - Had all your CC info in one neat little document on your computer
2 - Had not cleared your browser's cache and autofill info in ages

give me just a little bit more credit than that.

1. I do not have all of my personal info on a "neat little document" on my computer. after all, why the hell would I? I know all of my personal info im my head, I dont need to have it sitting anywhere on my computer.

2. I always disable any/all autofill options on my web browsers. I also clear all of my temp internet files and cookies every single time I shut my machine down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back