A Decade of Amazon Kindle

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Techcrunch has posted a good story about the 10th anniversary of the Kindle. One of the best e-readers of all time in my opinion. Anyway, I used to be a book junky and had them stashed everywhere, but now I just keep my collection on a couple of Kindle's and I'm good to go. Happy anniversary, Kindle!

The decade since the release of the first Kindle has been a turbulent one for publishing. Barnes & Noble - once a large enough threat to local bookstores that it served as the basis of a Meg Ryan rom-com - has shuttered locations at a steady clip. Borders, meanwhile, shut down altogether. And the big publishers have become increasingly consolidated.

Still have my original Kindle Fire. Back in the day, it saved me tons of money on paying for school books. Well worth its asking price. Battery is still going strong. Only gripe is that the Silk browser never got an update and is a pretty crappy experience today.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting a PaperWhite this year. My old Kindle DX has a battery problem - only holds a charge for 20-30 minutes. I had it for years so not complaining (besides, the Paper White has a much nicer screen - good reason to upgrade.)

I'm thinking about getting a PaperWhite this year. My old Kindle DX has a battery problem - only holds a charge for 20-30 minutes. I had it for years so not complaining (besides, the Paper White has a much nicer screen - good reason to upgrade.)

Crack that puppy open and replace it's battery - it'll be good as new: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Amazon+Kindle+DX+Battery+Replacement/73101

I sold mine a couple months ago for the same price I bought it for new. (There's a huge demand for functional DX's as they are the only "big" Kindles and many folks still want them.)

I guess I'm the odd guy out with a Barnes&Noble Glowlight Plus. I really like the reader, hate the B&N prices on the books, it's crazy that I pay at least paperback prices for an electronic delivery. But, the reader itself has been a great device for about 7 years now, and the battery is still holding up well. Not too bad.

my wife got me a kindle voyage a while back, never got with it it at first its been gathering dust for a long a long time. but i needed to read a few hefty books/manuals decided to try the kindle versions even tho they cost more than paper backed books but im converted now after a couple of weeks getting used to being paperless. my only gripe is pdf use is a bit poop on kindle.

I had Kindles for years until moving up to a regular tablet (currently iPad Pro 9.7") so I could stream video as well as read. But, I still have my two-year old Paperwhite. Great little reader.

Back