A Covert Action

Papa-Ming

2[H]4U
In that:

A) Relic has gone and blown my covert identity, and all here now know that I'm Irish.

B) succeeded in doing so while making my pale Irish complexion turn a fine shade of red,
a rather disconcerting moment for a person of my advanced age.

Therefor, be it known to all persons that the above actions carry the following penality:

A fine "Irish Drinking Song". Dedicated to Relic, about Relic.

( Works well with Scotch too, a North Sea Isle, is a North Sea Isle. ( whether or not we beat the crap out of each other in historic battles past, just get over it! )

Here goes:

"The Wild Colonial Boy."

There was a wild colonial boy and Relic was his name
He was born and bred in America in the town of Cleveland
He was his father's only son his mother's pride and joy
and dearly did the parents love the wild colonial boy
At the early age of sixteen years he left his native home
And to the [H]ardocp's sunny land he was inclined to roam
He helped the sick he helped the poor, he persuaded Kyle boy
A terror to the [Hardocp] was the wild colonial boy

One morning on the AMD forum wild, ole Relic strode around
While locking threads and banging heads, he sang a cheerful song
Out jumped three posters fierce and grim Kelly, Davis, and Fitzroy
They all set out to capture him the wild colonial boy
Surrender now ole Relic boy, come see it's three to one
Surrender in the posters' name, sir you are a plundering son
Relic drew two mouse clicks from his side and glared upon Fitzroy
I'll fight but not surrender cried the wild colonial boy

And roaming back to the forum folding, ole Relic stands his ground
He fires point blank at dispair and disease 'till they fall dead to the ground
Sure he is his fathers only son his mother's pride and joy
And I'll fight but not surrender cried the wild colonial boy.

Penalty complete. And you had it coming :D

Well done, Sir Papa.
But I must consider that a challenge, so receive my volley fine sir. you have chosen the weapon; The lore of the Emerald Isle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh Papa boy, the fold, the fold is calling
From WU to WU, [H] brothers at you side
'Til we are gone, and others have replaced us
'Tis they, 'tis they must go and we must bide.
But falter not, we fold for those of 'morrow
For when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis We'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Papa boy, oh Papa boy, They thank you so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today the scotch is in the cupboard and the Dew of Tullamore sits by my side.
Have at thee. :)

One subject I absolutely refuse to touch upon is the possibility that an Irishman and Scotsman (no matter how much they beat the crap out of each other) might in some way be the same.

I have however consumed much alcohol with both peoples (never together of course) and admire both cultures spirit with song and distilled spirits. I have to add here a Scotsman once told me “The Irish have nay much in the way of culture”, but then he was drunk so who knows….. ;)

The whole point being, bring on the song, I’ll drink do damn near anything. :D

BillR said:
One subject I absolutely refuse to touch upon is the possibility that an Irishman and Scotsman (no matter how much they beat the crap out of each other) might in some way be the same.

I have however consumed much alcohol with both peoples (never together of course) and admire both cultures spirit with song and distilled spirits. I have to add here a Scotsman once told me “The Irish have nay much in the way of culture”, but then he was drunk so who knows….. ;)

The whole point being, bring on the song, I’ll drink do damn near anything. :D
I don't care much about party lines.....(I am Irish BTW)

Viva la Football!!!! Now that I will drink to! :D

Thanks god that football is back in season

AtomicMoose said:
I don't care much about party lines.....(I am Irish BTW)

Viva la Football!!!! Now that I will drink to! :D

Thanks god that football is back in season

I myself am of German ancestry so, like the Irish and Scots the consumption of mass quantities of sprits is not an unfamiliar event.

I have never quite mastered the language though. German vowels are the worst. The only way I can get through pronunciation of vowels using the “umlaut” is during a less then gentle (dry?) proctologic exam.

Football holds no interest, baseball got bad after the big strike and I’m not much on hoops.

I need to season or reason to drink. ;)

BillR said:
I myself am of German ancestry so, like the Irish and Scots the consumption of mass quantities of sprits is not an unfamiliar event.

I have never quite mastered the language though. German vowels are the worst. The only way I can get through pronunciation of vowels using the “umlaut” is during a less then gentle (dry?) proctologic exam.

Football holds no interest, baseball got bad after the big strike and I’m not much on hoops.

I need to season or reason to drink. ;)

Correction BillR, baseball is still important, baseball is the only sport that really matters. I love watching football, couldn't care less who wins the Super Bowl though (unless the Colts are in the mix). I love playing basketball but don't care who wins the championship (unless the Pacers are in the mix). I live and breath baseball though. If anyone can brew up some good mojo to help get my Cubs into the playoffs and then World Series I'd be forever gratefull. Doesn't matter if you're Irish or a Scot, I'd be forever in your debt. :)

Hmm, I didn't know there were any Moose in Ireland, at least not indigeous anyway. :confused:

pageian said:
Correction BillR, baseball is still important, baseball is the only sport that really matters. I love watching football, couldn't care less who wins the Super Bowl though (unless the Colts are in the mix). I love playing basketball but don't care who wins the championship (unless the Pacers are in the mix). I live and breath baseball though. If anyone can brew up some good mojo to help get my Cubs into the playoffs and then World Series I'd be forever gratefull. Doesn't matter if you're Irish or a Scot, I'd be forever in your debt. :)

Hmm, I didn't know there were any Moose in Ireland, at least not indigeous anyway. :confused:

Sorry, but the Cubs don't hold a candle to the Cardinals this year. I just hope they don't choke in the postseason this year. I don't think they will though. They actually have most of their shit together for once. :D

" Pageian's Ditty "

East side west side all around the town
The kids sing damn Bambino , and The Billy Goat Curse be gone
Boys and girls together, all of dear old Chicago know
They'll trip the light fantastic, the World Series is returning home

Down in front of Casey's old brown wooden stoop
On a summer's evening we form a merry group
Boys and girls together, we would dream then squeal
While Soza hit the ball out of beloved Wrigley Field

East side west side all around the town
We fear not any Cardinals, Astros, Pirates, nor Reds old throne
There's Alou, Normar, Ramirez ,and Pageian Folding@Home
They'll trip the light fantastic ,the World Series Chicago owns

East side west side riding through the parks
We stop to swing at fastballs then we split to P.J. Clarks
We'll buy a round for the house lads and friends visiting from the "Hub"
Then wipe a tear and hoist a beer for the Red Sox and the Cubs

Aww gee wiz. Talk about a thread gone south..Two bards, one [H]ard and one [H]alf [H]ard and some sports freaks :rolleyes:

Worst hijack of the month ;)

BillR said:
one [H]alf [H]ard

For one celebrating thier 50th birthday this month, That quote could convey several humm, meanings? :D

Oh ya ! Ok , questionable baseball ditty being the subject, thankfully.
It's the only Irish Folk song that reminds me of baseball, due to it's tune whatnot. Was written in the 1890's and is similar to Take Me Out To The Ball Game, circa 1908. And I just started singing it while I was typing. Just did. Came out that way.

You were expecting maybe James Joyce, W.B. Yeats? :p Though I don't doubt they sang bar tunes in several pubs.

Papa-Ming said:
For one celebrating thier 50th birthday this month, That quote could convey several humm, meanings? :D

How do you know that YOU are the [H]alf? ;)

So young you two are, so young. Very good with a turn of phrase as well. I’ll be 57 in November and all I can add is you have at least one more life lesson coming your way.

The words of the great immortal Scott:

“The Best Laid Plans O' Mice and Men Gang Aft Agley”.

And OH BOY, do they. What did Mr. Burns mean by that? I’ll give you my interpretation:

“Half hard don’t mean dick” ;)

BillR

relic said:
Well done, Sir Papa.
But I must consider that a challenge, so receive my volley fine sir. you have chosen the weapon; The lore of the Emerald Isle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh Papa boy, the fold, the fold is calling
From WU to WU, [H] brothers at you side
'Til we are gone, and others have replaced us
'Tis they, 'tis they must go and we must bide.
But falter not, we fold for those of 'morrow
For when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis We'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Papa boy, oh Papa boy, They thank you so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today the scotch is in the cupboard and the Dew of Tullamore sits by my side.
Have at thee. :)

It's a shame we can't attach files. I'd sing this so we could have us a little ditty for the Ming.

Tullamore is nice, but Balvenie doublewood, my good man, is the way to start the day!

Excellent job Papa-Ming no matter what BillR says. :D Now if the Cubs get there I'll owe you big but if they don't get to the playoffs I guess I can blame that on you too.

SmokeRngs - Cardinals? :mad:
I can already see that this forum isn't big enough for the both of us. ;)
Let's see, before the tardinals make the playoffs Larry Walker will be in a full body cast, we'll find out that Phat Albert is really 37 years old, Jim Edmonds will break both his legs while trying to show off and make a simple catch look hard, Scott Rolen will get Rick Ankiel disease and not be able to throw a ball to first base anymore and the tardinal pitchers will all remember who they really are and implode, giving up about 12 runs a game the rest of the way. And Tony Larussa's head will pop because every sportwritter in the country will be telling him what a genius he is for winning so many games with that bunch of losers. :)

But really, I'm not a bitter Cubs fan. Really.

Yeah, I gotta say I'm with SmokeRngs here. Grew up in St. Louis so I mean... come on. Gotta root for the cards.

However, as much as I dislike your Scrubs, I would absolutely LOVE to see a Cubs vs. Cards NLCS. Would be better than any possible World Series. :)

So uhh... yeah... folding.... I'm on topic! I swear!! :p

Dark Ember said:
Yeah, I gotta say I'm with SmokeRngs here. Grew up in St. Louis so I mean... come on. Gotta root for the cards.

However, as much as I dislike your Scrubs, I would absolutely LOVE to see a Cubs vs. Cards NLCS. Would be better than any possible World Series. :)

So uhh... yeah... folding.... I'm on topic! I swear!! :p

You're all a bunch of sick bastards. ;)

Actually I'd love a Cubs vs. tards NLCS too. Talk about intense, that'd give Yanks vs. Red Sox a run for it's money. Plus the joy of getting to end St. Lou's season in a 4 game sweep would be overwhelming. They wouldn't even have to play the World Series after that!

And since this is the DC forum I better stay on topic:
folding, scotch, moosesechs (in no particular order, although I think scotch always comes before moosesechs) ;)

pageian said:
And since this is the DC forum I better stay on topic:
folding, scotch, moosesechs (in no particular order, although I think scotch always comes before moosesechs) ;)
I believe that is the rule.....
:p

RagingSamster said:
I fold as I Drink
My drinking helps my folding...
Too drunk to play games!

That has got to be the best excuse for Scotch I have ever heard!! :D

I'll drink to that...

Cheers! :D

AtomicMoose said:

See, I didn't know Moose could swim that far. Unless you've learned to operate watercraft, in which case I didn't know you could do that either. :p

BillR said:
Aquamoose?

We got off track again huh? :rolleyes:

Aquamoose were quite common to Ireland actually. As were snakes once.
Here is a *moose sighting* at the Port of Londonderry, Ireland: as photographed by a crack reporter on the scene at the time.

Londonderry, or "The Maiden City", was the port that many Irish emigrated to escape
the famine in the mid- 1800's.

And as you may imagine, the moose and all manner of critter were starving too, including snakes! And so the moose became "aqua" out of necessity. ( And just as large as a square rigger anyway. ) albeit, this an extreme example of Moose adapting to their enviroment. But a well known legend, and topic for lively debate in many a pub in Ireland!

So here we have Aquamoose saving a furry friend in need, as they evacuate across the big pond and depart the shores of the old sod. :D

http://www.imagelink.org/id9083.jpg

Opps forgot this for BillR, some desktop Scotch:

http://www.imagelink.org/id9084.jpg

Two Irishmen are sitting in a pub having beer and watching the brothel across the street. They see a Baptist minister walk into the brothel.

“Aye, ‘tis a shame to see a man of the cloth goin’ bad..” one of them says.

Then they see a rabbi enter the brothel, and the other Irishman says, “Aye, ‘tis a shame to see that the Jews are fallin’ victim to temptation.”

Then they see a Catholic priest enter the brothel. One of the Irishmen says, “What a terrible pity . . one of the girls must be quite ill.”

Ah, faith and begora, the power of good Scotch ;)

BillR said:
Two Irishmen are sitting in a pub having beer and watching the brothel across the street. They see a Baptist minister walk into the brothel.

“Aye, ‘tis a shame to see a man of the cloth goin’ bad..” one of them says.

Then they see a rabbi enter the brothel, and the other Irishman says, “Aye, ‘tis a shame to see that the Jews are fallin’ victim to temptation.”

Then they see a Catholic priest enter the brothel. One of the Irishmen says, “What a terrible pity . . one of the girls must be quite ill.”

Ah, faith and begora, the power of good Scotch ;)
Here's my joke for the day....

A seal walked into a club...
:D

Only the truly ill would find that amusing. Heh…. :D :D :D

AtomicMoose said:
I know...isn't it great?! :D

Here's another: Can a vegetatian eat animal crackers?

They could but then they would be doubly conflicted because they all probably belong to P.E.T.A.! :D :eek:

I'm just waiting for all the PETA staff members to come down with Mad Tofu Disease or something that can only be cured by eating beef, pork and chicken. I guess they'd have a decision to make then wouldn't they. ;)

Back