A+ Certification

mikazo

n00b
Hey all,

New forum member. Hopefully I'm posting in the right spot. I hope to get a summer job next summer to do with computer setup/repair and I see that some places require A+ Certification.

Just wondered, is this an excellent asset to have or a waste of time? Is it expensive? Do any of you have it/need it in your experience? I imagine I would be able to pass it without studying or anything, judging by some of the older practice tests on the internet. I can't seem to find an up-to-date practice test, as a lot of them mention dot matrix printers and so on. Motherboards don't even have ports for that anymore.

Just wondered also, if you have A+, where did you get it, what was approximate cost, etc.? Thanks a bunch.

-Mike

It's not a tough exam if you have some decent background on the subject.

Buy a book, I recommend this one
http://www.amazon.com/Certification...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202478067&sr=8-1
and study. The book comes with practice exams and you can buy discount test vouchers from the author as well that also come with practice material, I liked his writing so much I got the Network+ book too.

I currently work as a bench tech, and the A+ is a good start but you'll be amazed the volume of info you learn just by being on the job.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm a computer tech at a private business, and while A+ wasent required, it was recommended. I got the job despite not knowing the A+. While if you have the time I do recommend you get it, I think you are going to learn a lot more on the job than any A+ course will teach you.

I imagine I would be able to pass it without studying or anything, judging by some of the older practice tests on the internet. I can't seem to find an up-to-date practice test, as a lot of them mention dot matrix printers and so on.

That is because the test itself is severely outdated.

While the test is far from difficult, I'd recommend reading a book on it, or taking an exam. It's not at all difficult, but it covers a lot of stuff that many people coming into the world with Windows 95/XP/Vista wouldn't typically experience.

As far as a certification, it's meaningless. You'll see many places recommend it because it's something. Good old fashioned experience is far greater than an A+ cert, but you have to start somewhere!

I took mine at New Horizons (because my company paid for the test!). It was two tests, and I believe the cost was $150 per test (it might have been $125). So figure $250-$300 for the exams. I believe each exam was 100 questions and took about 20 minutes or so to complete.

Oh, and for what it's worth -- there are many companies that still use Dot Matrix printers!

I have a decent amount of experience just from toying around with my own computers (hardware and software), so I imagine I would have at least enough knowledge to get me started on the job. A Future Shop just opened up in my hometown, where I'm going to work for the summer. Apparently they require either A+ or prior experience. If I put it down as a hobby I've had, with no workplace experience, I don't think they would go for that.

So is it as easy as ordering a book, studying it, then finding a place where they will administer the test? I'm willing to spend the money on the book and tests if it turns out to be a worthwhile resume item.

While the test is far from difficult, I'd recommend reading a book on it, or taking an exam. It's not at all difficult, but it covers a lot of stuff that many people coming into the world with Windows 95/XP/Vista wouldn't typically experience.

I agree. I took the test 5-6 years ago and failed the software portion by 1 question because I tried to take it cold. It had way to many DOS questions and nothing I considered relevant, since I entered the computer world with Win98SE. Who the hell cares about Dr. Watson!?

Anyway, yes. Study. Don't think you know enough to just go in and take it. You may, but don't risk it.

As to whether or not it's worth it. For a first job, yes, it shows that you have some experience in the field beyond tinkering. After your first job, probably not so much.

I imagine I would be able to pass it without studying or anything, judging by some of the older practice tests on the internet. I can't seem to find an up-to-date practice test, as a lot of them mention dot matrix printers and so on. Motherboards don't even have ports for that anymore.

I don't have my A+ yet (going for N+ first) but don't discount the legacy equipment it covers in the A+ books. We still have dot matrix/impact printers in use on a daily basis here at my place of business. Mostly for reciepts but still used very often.

Study first and then restudy anything that you had troubles with. I think the tests are still adaptive so if you miss that dot matrix printer they will hammer you on printers until you get enough right.

The test doesn't seem hard but you are using your hard earned money to take it so I would be sure you are ready before wasting your time and money failing.

Yeah, order yourself a book. It's worth it to make sure you don't drop $150 on a piece of paper telling you that you failed.

They really do have some questions that, if you haven't been around computers for a long time, you might not be able to answer. Can you match up the IO address of various COM ports?

I took the test a year and a half ago. There were more questions on it regarding how to handle an angry customer than there were questions pertaining to computers. There were zero DOS questions, it was all Windows 2000 and XP. It was mostly stupid stuff that I would expect someone to know whether they were in the computer field or not. FFS, my mother knows what a USB connection looks like.

As far as taking the test for a job -- yeah, do it. Even if you don't take it before the interview, have it scheduled before you take it so you can tell them that you're taking your A+ on whatever day and you intend to pass it. It doesn't just show that you have a cert -- it shows initiative. Anyone can bass a test, but not everyone will drop $50 on a book and $300 on the test.

You can find a testing center on their web site. The cost should be the same at any center. Check their site for books, too. They're all about making bucks (hence the "upgraded" membership offers you get after you take the test), so I'm sure they've got some buy the book, save a few dollars on the test deal going on.

And last but not least -- good luck!

Be warned that the current CompTIA A+ certification is different than it used to be.

I took it last year, passed no probs. This year, its a new revised test, but there are a total of 4 tests.

The core hardware test remains, but the other 3 are for different fields, like 1 for a remote tech, 1 for a depot tech, and one for an on-site tech. You have to take the core hardware, but you can pick one of the three others. As long as you pass 2 of them.

I lead a team where I work, and the guys all have to get A+ certified as part of their employment. After helping them study, the test remains very similar, still with the old-style BIOS error numbers and having to know the IRQ assignments.

This warning just serves the purpose of having you make sure you get the right study materials. Good Luck!

I don't think you have to know any IRQs or cpu specs either. Most of the free practice tests you see online have many questions that won't even be on the test. They're still good to know though. You won't see too many, if any, outdated questions on the actual test. Like said before, they revised the test last year or 2 years ago for newer technologies.

Also, it is recommended to take the Essentials and IT Technician (220-601 and 220-602 i believe) because it shows well rounded knowledge. None of the tests now are just Hardware and Software, but they may have more questions on a subject based on what test you are taking. For example, taking the depot test 220-604?) will have a lot of hardware based questions, but will still have OS and professionalism on there too.

I will second the legacy and software comments. It kind of amuses that at times a high end server will need to be booted to DOS to run some arcane utility

My dad took a class for it and then the test maybe 2 years ago. He's not computer illiterate, but hes not quite computer savvy either, and he passed. I think around $125 sounds right.

Ok so I checked the website out and was surprised to find many test centers in my area. For where I live, the exam voucher costs $163.00 and the two textbooks cost $70.00 each (Essentials and 220-602). that's a total of $303.00. It's sort of a steep price, but I'm thinking it will be worth it to get myself into the PC industry and job market.

Ok so I checked the website out and was surprised to find many test centers in my area. For where I live, the exam voucher costs $163.00 and the two textbooks cost $70.00 each (Essentials and 220-602). that's a total of $303.00. It's sort of a steep price, but I'm thinking it will be worth it to get myself into the PC industry and job market.

You need TWO exam vouchers for A+ as you have to pass two exams to get the cert, also the book I linked in my reply post is only 30 bucks and covers both exams Essentials and IT Tech. I read that book cover to cover and passed both exams on the first go. You can get 2 vouchers + practice exams from the authors site for $278.00

Right, forgot about your book. So is 6th edition the newest? Or have all the stuff I need to know anyway? Sounds like it, if you recommend it. Thanks for the clarification.

Right, forgot about your book. So is 6th edition the newest? Or have all the stuff I need to know anyway? Sounds like it, if you recommend it. Thanks for the clarification.

I just took the exam myself in October 2007 using the text, I don't think the test has changed much since 2006 (the last major revision)

Just wondered also, if you have A+, where did you get it, what was approximate cost, etc.? Thanks a bunch.

Buy a book
I wouldn't spend the money, honestly. All the information, tons of practice questions can be found online.

Some guides I've found to be helpful are CramSession's.

Not correct, next post explains pretty good:

I took it last year, passed no probs. This year, its a new revised test, but there are a total of 4 tests.

The core hardware test remains, but the other 3 are for different fields, like 1 for a remote tech, 1 for a depot tech, and one for an on-site tech. You have to take the core hardware, but you can pick one of the three others. As long as you pass 2 of them.

Not having taken the newer test, I can't vouch myself as for what exactly it covers.

But all in all, the A+ is a joke when it comes to measuring your true abilities. The only purpose is may serve is sticking it on your resume so the HR people let you through the door- that's it.

It's a good cert to have- as you find out: some places require it as a minimum.
But like I said: zero real-world value in determining how much you actually know. As you move into bigger environments where you don't work as a ground-level tech, you have an interviewer to get by (And probation period after that interview), and A+ just doesn't mean jack.

I myself have it. Like I said: gets you through HR to the person that can get you the job. Up to your actual abilities for the rest ;)

Thanks TechieSooner, well summarized. The book devman suggested is over 1000 pages... I don't think I'd have time to absorb all that before the summer, on top of all the other school work I'm doing. Is there really enough up-to-date material online to get you by? I'm just wondering how much studying I'll have to put in to this. I realize it depends on how much I know, but I feel fairly confident about the things I've seen on practice tests, except for the out-of-date stuff.

I don't know how much the new tests cover, and how recent of information it covers... Sorry about that... just hate to lead you down the wrong path.

If it was like the "old" version, most of the test is old, outdated, simple, and ridiculous stuff.
OLD and RIDICULOUS: IRQ addresses? I/O addresses? Come on.
SIMPLE: Knowing that a "mechanical striking mechanism to imprint a letter onto a page" is a dot matrix printer.

Just totally worthless cert, like I said, in real-world usage...

I printed off a CramSession guide, read it front to back, only highlighting the stuff I didn't know, that I think might be on the test (vast majority wasn't). Then from then on I just looked at what I highlighted.

is there a way for employers to check a database on their potential new employees to see if they have it? There is an entry level position that I am applying for and requires A+. I dont really wanna spend $300+ on a somewhat useless cert, but then again dont wanna get busted for not having it when I say I do.

is there a way for employers to check a database on their potential new employees to see if they have it? There is an entry level position that I am applying for and requires A+. I dont really wanna spend $300+ on a somewhat useless cert, but then again dont wanna get busted for not having it when I say I do.

Putting things on your resume or job application that you don't have will almost certainly come back to bite you if you stay any length with the company. It's just a bad idea plain and simple don't do it.

I don't know how much the new tests cover, and how recent of information it covers... Sorry about that... just hate to lead you down the wrong path.

If it was like the "old" version, most of the test is old, outdated, simple, and ridiculous stuff.
OLD and RIDICULOUS: IRQ addresses? I/O addresses? Come on.
SIMPLE: Knowing that a "mechanical striking mechanism to imprint a letter onto a page" is a dot matrix printer.

Just totally worthless cert, like I said, in real-world usage...

I printed off a CramSession guide, read it front to back, only highlighting the stuff I didn't know, that I think might be on the test (vast majority wasn't). Then from then on I just looked at what I highlighted.

You wouldn't believe the number of people who still have critical systems running on shit old hardware. It does happen and unless you go in to corporate IT odds are you will encounter shit old hardware that someone will want you to fix (thought it is rare).

Like someone already said: don't do it.
Especially if you end up not doing well, have someone dislike you or something, and they start checking out how much you know... If you ever run into something like that is when it may bite you in the butt.

Not a useless cert. I said it was useless for real-world technology. It gets you through the HR people, but from then on when it comes to people that actually know IT- it's useless.

You wouldn't believe the number of people who still have critical systems running on shit old hardware. It does happen and unless you go in to corporate IT odds are you will encounter shit old hardware that someone will want you to fix (thought it is rare).
This is true.
I'd agree though it's mostly smaller businesses (schools would probably fit in here too) that do that stuff though. Any business with decent revenue has some modern hardware at least.
Isn't the hardware as much as the software for me, though... Windows 98: Screw with all that manual configuration crap. Windows XP or Vista: don't have to.

As for old, outdated printers and stuff, not too hard to see that the newer stuff is faster, probably cheaper to buy, cheaper to replace, cheaper for toner, etc, etc...

I'd agree though it's mostly smaller businesses (schools would probably fit in here too) that do that stuff though. Any business with decent revenue has some modern hardware at least.
Isn't the hardware as much as the software for me, though... Windows 98: Screw with all that manual configuration crap. Windows XP or Vista: don't have to.

As for old, outdated printers and stuff, not too hard to see that the newer stuff is faster, probably cheaper to buy, cheaper to replace, cheaper for toner, etc, etc...

Umm...I work for one of the top 5 banks in the US...we still have people rolling w/ Windows 2k on their T22's and Compaq NC6000's. The people at our data center's use old school dot matrix printers. A few sub groups have old computers that run different reports that are on Win98 and NT4. They don't change b/c they work.

I had a lady call me a few weeks ago wanting help with our VPN. I wanted to get her to a command prompt, so asked her to "start > run > CMD." She read me some error. I asked her to do it again, stating "That's Charlie, Michael, David". Same error. Did that for about 5 minutes, then asked, "What OS are you using?" Turned out to be Windows ME :(

I took it long ago, and while it was never required, it is still a good thing to have. Very easy? Yes. Because I knew the material. While it is an entry level cert, it still does show that you know a few things about computers, and just aren't a bullshitter.

Getting the A+ is like getting the fry cook certification at McDonalds. It may not be a huge step, but it does show that you know what you are doing around the equipment. And you have to start somewhere. Coupled with the Net+ (which combined, make up an elective for the MCSA, among others), it is a great asset. Once you get a few more certs, though, that first step basically is worthless. But, before you can walk, you have to learn how to crawl, right?

Get a good book. I knew a lot when I took my test, and the book filled in the gaps, and basically let me know what I was going to be tested on... It's good for a review and a good resource. You may not learn anything new, but at least some concepts will be reinforced.

I find A+ to be for the most part a worthless cert. however if you are going to work almost anywhere they almost make it a requirement to have. With that it's best just to take it and get it out of the way.

BTW: I have known people with A+ and not know how to format a floppy disk. and this was back in 98.

Would it be worth getting the certification from another place or would it be the same as if I got it at a community college?

Would it be worth getting the certification from another place or would it be the same as if I got it at a community college?

CompTIA is the one designing/initiating the tests. Not a college or anywhere else- it's all run by CompTIA.
So the test will be the same regardless where you take it... The only thing different is they do randomize the questions of course.

I find A+ to be for the most part a worthless cert. however if you are going to work almost anywhere they almost make it a requirement to have. With that it's best just to take it and get it out of the way.

BTW: I have known people with A+ and not know how to format a floppy disk. and this was back in 98.

And I know MCSE's that manage corporate networks and Exchange managers that can't change out a hard drive. They know their networking and such, but don't know shit about hardware. :rolleyes:

I'd rather get someone that knows what they are doing, enjoy what they are doing, and can do it well... They should have some pride in their work.

My A+ cert was a personal goal. Not required at all. :D

Hey all,

New forum member. Hopefully I'm posting in the right spot. I hope to get a summer job next summer to do with computer setup/repair and I see that some places require A+ Certification.

Just wondered, is this an excellent asset to have or a waste of time? Is it expensive? Do any of you have it/need it in your experience? I imagine I would be able to pass it without studying or anything, judging by some of the older practice tests on the internet. I can't seem to find an up-to-date practice test, as a lot of them mention dot matrix printers and so on. Motherboards don't even have ports for that anymore.

-Mike

I dought you could pass it cold but it is not a hard test. Also dot matrix printers are still used a lot as report or check printers. Same with the legacy ports you talk about. Consumer hardware might be going away from them but a lot of business hardware hasn't. You'd be shocked to realize how much hardware out their still wants a serial connection or a scsi one.

As far as a certification, it's meaningless. You'll see many places recommend it because it's something. Good old fashioned experience is far greater than an A+ cert, but you have to start somewhere!

I wouldn't call it meaningless but it is not a high level cert. It is a good thing to have.

And I know MCSE's that manage corporate networks and Exchange managers that can't change out a hard drive. They know their networking and such, but don't know shit about hardware. :rolleyes:

I'd rather get someone that knows what they are doing, enjoy what they are doing, and can do it well... They should have some pride in their work.

My A+ cert was a personal goal. Not required at all. :D

This kills me. I've seen a shit load of MCSE's that can't do basic hardware. I mean basic like switching a power supply. This always got me as I figured you would have to pick it up somewhere along the lines.

MCSE is not a hardware test last I checked, why would an MCSE know how to change a power supply or even change out memory.

What kills me is the amount of people that think if you have an MCSE makes you some super hardware tech. Even A+ now days has little to do with hardware.

MCSE is not a hardware test last I checked, why would an MCSE know how to change a power supply or even change out memory.

What kills me is the amount of people that think if you have an MCSE makes you some super hardware tech. Even A+ now days has little to do with hardware.

If you work with computers, even a programmer, you should know very BASIC hardware. To me, changing a HD, RAM, or a power supply are very basic things.

To me, it shows that you know what you are doing. Not only is it well rounded, it's also a part of the industry. It's like a mechanic... Sure, he may only do the electrical on a car, but can you imagine a mechanic that can't change oil... Or a carpenter that can't build a simple birdhouse.

If they don't have common sense enough to change out a plug and play piece of hardware that is in the industry, then they don't belong there.

Sure, I don't know everything. But, if I am certified with a valuable certification and possibly a degree, I think that I am almost obligated to know what I am doing. I know my basics. I will NOT get certified unless I know what I am doing. I am always learning. Everyone needs a foundation, and very basic hardware is a great foundation.

Sorry, that's one of my big sticklers in the industry. Your opinion is obviously different, but I stand by mine. I do see your view, but I am stuck with this one.

I passed the hardware test without any studying but I needed to brush up on the software one as I failed it the first time going into it cold. There are websites that have A+ practice tests you can take for free and many of the questions are similar to the ones on the real test. IMO, the software test is a bit harder. If you have to take either test over again the questions will be different. In fact, some questions are about how you would handle a fire if it broke out in a room full of servers. Getting the hell out of there comes to mind!:D

I got mine because I always wanted one. I worked at a computer repair shop for 6 months recently and learned a lot more there (networking, data recovery, etc.) then I ever would have by reading a book or from taking a test. Prior to that my knowledge was just from it being a hobby going back to 1995. I worked for a placed called Robert Half (IT temp agancy) and they actually make you take a test similar to the A+ ones in order to determine your knowledge and experience. So, it was good for me to know some of that stuff that was on the A+ tests.

You don't need an A+ cert but it's nice to have just in case an employer requires it. Experience outweighs any cert, but gaining some knowledge on taking those tests isn't so bad if want a wall full of them.

Ur_Mom sums it up.

To me, it shows that you know what you are doing. Not only is it well rounded, it's also a part of the industry. It's like a mechanic... Sure, he may only do the electrical on a car, but can you imagine a mechanic that can't change oil... Or a carpenter that can't build a simple birdhouse.

Pretty much I look at the hardware as a building block for the software that runs on top of it. You should have a basic understanding of it. If you don't what happens when something goes wrong? If you don't have the basics of hardware down how are you going to be able to say if the issue is hardware or software?

As one of the first 225 people in the world to get an "A+ Certification" when that program was created years ago, I doubted the need for it then, and I still doubt the need for it now. Book knowledge is rather useless in the real-world of I.T. or even just being a bench tech for some local Mom & Pop computer shop in your hometown. Real-world hands-on experience trumps book knowledge any day of the week and twice on Sundays, in my opinion.

And yes, the questions - especially those related to legacy hardware and some items that simply aren't in use anywhere anymore - does get a bit long in the tooth. I also remember when the MCSE cert went live years past, and we had such fun (meaning us real-world techs that had been doing this stuff for decades) when someone created the label "I.T." for the very job we'd always loved. Must Consult Someone Else is still my fave, but there are dozens of others.

The MCSE is a perfect example of the lack of need for such certs in real-world situations: when that cert first appeared, study materials flooded the market and wannabee "geeks" and techs grabbed 'em up as fast as they could be printed, or signed up for courses at places like New Horizons (what a scam that was and still is) and got "paper certs" which basically means they bought a book, took a test, and suddenly wham, they're an MCSE. They had the paper, but they didn't have the real-world knowledge that actually meant anything, and tons of them nowadays still don't have a damned clue what they're doing, sadly.

I don't like the fact that so many organizations require an A+ nowadays just to get a job, or even to get an interview. If it's not listed on your application or resume, a lot of tech "managers" will simply put your application/resume in the trash or stuff it in a drawer with all the other "potentials" that will never see the light of day again.

When I was in charge of hiring techs for the various organizations I've worked with, I would take the "potential" to lunch or something. I'd learn infinitely more about what that person knew about computers in a 30-45 min conversation over lunch in a casual atmosphere than I could from any application, or resume, or piece of paper hanging on a wall could ever dare hope to teach me.

Real-world knowledge trumps a piece of parchment every time...

I don't like the fact that so many organizations require an A+ nowadays just to get a job, or even to get an interview. If it's not listed on your application or resume, a lot of tech "managers" will simply put your application/resume in the trash or stuff it in a drawer with all the other "potentials" that will never see the light of day again.

Real-world knowledge trumps a piece of parchment every time...

Very true. Experience is everything. Certs are really just a piece of paper. That's it. You can have all the certs in the world, but if you can't change a power supply when it goes bad in a server, what good are you? Or if you can't add a user to a group? Hmmm....

But, as you said, the note on your resume can get you the interview. Once you are in to that, it's all you and not the cert. You can gain a lot of knowledge by studying for the certifications, and they aren't all that bad... I get them for more of a personal goal that for the employment aspect.

Oh well, huh?

I have a few certs, A+ is one of them, it was easy but I basically wanted it just to have it.

Certs don't really mean much in the real world..they come into play when a fat ass HR person wants an applicant to have them...makes the HR person feel better I guess because they don't know any better.

Everybody in the IT field should have basic hardware and software troubleshooting and repair skills IMO. It's a good foundation to build upon. I too have met and worked with admins who didn't know what to do when they encountered a blue screen, they didn't know how to troubleshoot, they sucked at the process of elimination. I have worked with admins who couldn't set up a raid array or rebuild a raid array on their own server. Shit, i've met admins who didn't know they had to press F6 and pop a floppy in to install raid drivers on a fresh install of a OS that required it. Many of them would over think issues when it was something simple. I think if you know hardware, networking, server administration..etc..you're in a better boat then the guy who only knows one thing.

A high school diploma is just a piece of paper saying you passed a few tests. Worthless after college, pretty much. But, it's the first step.

I don't know everything. I know a bit about basic networking, very little Cisco. I know some C++, but not a lot. You can't know it all. I do have a basic understanding of things that I need to know. I'm awesome at Windows Clients (XP, Vista) and decent at the server level (not an expert, but I know what I'm doing). Yes, the certs will help me find an interview. Once I have the job, though, they mean absolutely dick. I could wipe my ass with them. But, if I wanted to get the Server 2008 cert (which I am working on), I have to have hands on experience, and learn a lot. Yes, read books and pass a test... But, the knowledge gained is a huge benefit for me. I don't read braindumps (can't stand people that do), I know what I am being quizzed on. I don't just know the answer, I know WHY it's the answer. To me, that makes me a good technician. I have gained a lot from studying for the certs. So, they do have some value to me.

Get the A+ if you have little to no professional experience. It can get your foot in the door. It will get you a start.

Back