A... Air Purifier?

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
I had no idea where to put this thread, so just bear with me.
I am in search for an air purifier for my room. Its REALLY dusty and didnt know what I should get. I was considering the Ionic breeze, but I remeber reading somewhere that the ozone that it puts off itsnt good for you.

Does anyone have a purifier in their room? If so what is it (HEPA or filterless), and who makes it?

If you DO have an ionic breeze (anywhere in your house) how efficent is it at capturing dust?

Thanks!

I recommend the Oreck Air Purifier Professional XL (the latest one). It moves the air and would literally clean your air indoors of any dust, foreign objects, strange odors. Supposed to help allergies.

-J.

Yeah I have been reading that even too much ozone can cause lung cancer. Looks like hepa is the way to go (they also emit no ozone). Now to find an efficent one for a 170sq. ft. room. Theres so many models out there! :p

I hate the way ozone smells anyway.

GeForceX said:
... foreign objects...

-J.
Lol made me laugh. Thanks for poinitng me in the right direction. I want to try and not spend much more that $100, but if its really that effective then I will consider going higher than that.
Im gonna also take a look at Honeywell ones. I believe they are a fairly high quality company.

I just looked that the orek one, I like the fan idea, and it also uses a carbon unit in it for odor. I wonder if it porduces any ozone. From what i have read so far it does not.
IT would be the perfect size for my room too :)

More research :p

I just picked up a Holmes Air Purifier at Wally World for around $60. Works great and you wouldn''t believe the crap that's in the air until you look at the filter.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3264929
0004889467299_500X500.jpg

I'll tell ya, they say the filters are good for up too six months. I am on my second month and I smoke like a freaking chimney. Still going strong and it sure helps alot.

Filters are only $26.xx for a pack of two, which it takes two at a time.

GJSNeptune said:
Wow. Maybe I should invest in that.
May want to think about getting that. It does produce ozone ;)

Well I am pressy sure i am going to get one of these two HEPA filters made by honeywell. One is the Honeywell 40200 Platinum Air HEPA Air Purifier, and the other is the 50100 series. At this point I am not sure which is better but I am pretty sure for the price I will be getting one. The 40200 costs $80 at target, and the 50100 $90 at home depot. For some reason the smaller one (50100) costs more money and I am trying to figure out why.

DaRkF0g said:
May want to think about getting that. It does produce ozone ;)

Well I am pressy sure i am going to get one of these two HEPA filters made by honeywell. One is the Honeywell 40200 Platinum Air HEPA Air Purifier, and the other is the 50100 series. At this point I am not sure which is better but I am pretty sure for the price I will be getting one. The 40200 costs $80 at target, and the 50100 $90 at home depot. For some reason the smaller one (50100) costs more money and I am trying to figure out why.

Oh yeah which brings up my last point. FIlters arent redicilously expensive. ~$40-$50 for replacments. They are said to last 1-3 yrs. I dont smoke either so maybe ill be able to get the full year out of them.

UV rays hitting oxygen molecules produce ozone too, heh.

Anyone know of a decent but cheap non-ozone producing air purifier?

GJSNeptune said:
UV rays hitting oxygen molecules produce ozone too, heh.

Anyone know of a decent but cheap non-ozone producing air purifier?
I decided on a Honeywell Enviracaire Platinum Air Purifier - 40200. Its $80 over at target, and when it comes time to change the filter, it only costs $30. Theres also no ozone being produced. I think I am gonna pick one up tomorrow.
I think this is the cheapest HEPA you can get for a 11X14 area.

Linkage

there is some type of ionizer that site in a computer drive bay if you are near a computer alot (im not shure where they would be found tho)

If you are so worried about ozone, just turn off the ionizer. It has a switch for that by itself.

An air purifier is a "General [H]ardware" question, but FireFox comments aren't.

Thanks - B.B.S.

complex said:
there is some type of ionizer that site in a computer drive bay if you are near a computer alot (im not shure where they would be found tho)
Actually I was one bay looking for them, and they DO sell iionizers that are for notebooks and plug into a USB port LOL. They are really small (like thumbstick small) I dont see how you could benefit from something that small.

I forgot about panasonic. Ill take a look at what they have to offer later.

The reason I dont care for an ionizer is because I just dont want to have to worry about all the ozone crap and I hate that smell they put off. I remeber a friend of mine had one and I got a headache really fast just from sitting near the damn thing.

Besites HEPA's are less expensive (except for replacment filters) and they actually blow the air around (unlike sharper images ionic breeze's), making it more efficent at collecting dust (as I mentioned before that was the main reason I am looking for a filter)
:)

The one I posted above has a switch for the blower and a switch for the ionizer. So if you don't want the inonizer on, you can leave it off.

I haven't noticed any smell from it and I run it with it on. If you run it in a average sized bedroom, you could run it on low and it's pretty quiet. But medium and high are far from silent.

i dont have much of a need for air purifiers altho i have some hepa or holmes filter, its a huge round filter that you slide in and then turn it on but personally, i think those types of filters are ineffective

i dont use that much anymore cus i dont think its very good because i have to keep it on all the time for maximum performance and its motor is really strong cus its gotta pull a lotta air thru that super filtered filter and i think its just a waste of electricity but i still use it occasionally (maybe pull it out when guests are over to show i have a nice home, heheh jk)

i do something else tho... in the summer, you know how like a few rooms may have air conditioning while the other rooms are just burning hot so you stick a couple of fans in there?... what i do is i have a couple of box fans and i tape one of those square filters to it.. u can get those filters at home depot for like 69 cents or something... since ur using the fan to move air, you might as well strap on a filter to have a second purpose to filter the air and also to make sure the air blown at u is cleaner hehe... i got this idea when i notice that after a few months of using a fan, i notice a LOT of dust getting clumped up on the grills

no one in my house has allergies or anything so i dont really worry about pollen or whatever in the air

Yeah that would be a solution If I had windowboxes in my house, but he have central air so that wouldnt work, hence a seperate air filter.

ahhh now this is a thread I know I can contribute to. OK, air filters. To give you a little backround on me, I have bad allergies and asthma. When I say bad, when I had my allergy tests done, I had a reaction to ALL 80 pin pricks they did, and I was classified as one of the more reactive people on the allergy spectrum. Any kind of allergins (sorry, maybe spelling) and I WILL have a reaction to it, so I have to have an air cleaner in my apartment. Now I don't have any central heating or air, so all of my AC and heat come from really really old wall units that blow all sorts of wonderful crap all over the apartment. I do have an air filter, it is a honeywell one that was reccomeded by both my doctor (an established allergist) and also the national asthma and allergy assoc. But keeping the air clean cannot just be done by the air clearner, allow me to outline my cleaning procedure around the apartment. If you would like the skip the next paragrah, go ahead, in the third I'm going to be talking about my air filter and my experiences.

As for keeping my place clean, here is a rundown. Number 1, always vacuum and dust. My vacuum is an oreck, one of the ones that has a hepa filter built in. I live in a 500 sq/ft apt, with maybe less then 200 sq/ft of carpet and you would be amazed at how fast my bag will fill up. I'd say I'm changing bags about once a month to a month and a half. I vacuum twice a week. Also, buy some swiffers and dust the hell out of everything, dust is a very bad allergin, espically any kind of pet dander or hair. Clean or replace your AC filters. Wether you have window units or CH/A you have to change the filters. I bought new filters for both my ac units and it got rid of most of the nasty smell that came from them. Also, if you really want to be clean, you HAVE to clean the coils on older wall units or changing the filter does nothing. Another thing I have are those covers you put on your mattress and pillows to keep out bedbugs. You can get these from the same place as air filters and purifiers. I'm sure I do more then this, but all of these things will help you out just as much as an air filer unless you have pets or you smoke inside. Hell I even have to go so far as to wash all of my clothes in unscented detergent, and I can't even use scented soap. Now on to my air filter.

I looked at a lot of filters. What others are saying about the ozone and headaches, it's true for me. I can't say why, but I have very bad sinus's as well, and any kind of irritant in the air will get me, so the sharper image ones were out before I even had time to bitch about the noise and the price. What I went with was a medium sized Honeywell unit. It uses 2 filters, a pre-filter and a HEPA filter. It's easy to get pre-filter replacements but they'll run you a good 30-50 bucks. The HEPA filter, well I have to order that specially and it's around 80-100 bucks. Now, throw that on top of the 150ish I put on the unit, these things add up and I'm not even talking electricity yet since I have mine running 24/7 on the low setting. But as for it doing anything, I do notice a diffrence. When I wake up in the mornings I feel more refreshed, my sinus's don't bother me and I don't have my early morning breathing problems. I don't think it's only because of the filter, but combine the filter with all of the other prep work I had done, and I can honestly say that I was very surprised how much better I felt. Sorry this got long, and while I usually lurk on computer related products, I know that I can help out because I'm an expert on what will make me sick. I hope this helped a little bit, if you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer because I do have a wealth of knowledge on this subject.

Let me get this straight: they produce air purifiers which produce ozone? As a chemist, I'm appalled by this: ozone is nasty nasty stuff and while it will chew up bacteria, etc., it does the exact same thing to you. In fact I find it difficult to believe this is even legally marketable to consumers. Stay far, far away from ozone in any quantity if you want my $0.02.

Craftish said:
Let me get this straight: they produce air purifiers which produce ozone? As a chemist, I'm appalled by this: ozone is nasty nasty stuff and while it will chew up bacteria, etc., it does the exact same thing to you. In fact I find it difficult to believe this is even legally marketable to consumers. Stay far, far away from ozone in any quantity if you want my $0.02.

Now I'm not for sure wether or not these purifiers produce ozone, the only thing im sure of is that I did get a headache after spending time in a room with a sharper image ionic breeze air purifier. You could check them out at sharper images site, but if I remember correctly they posativly charge ions that are supposed to neautralize odors in the air. My HEPA filter with charcoal does the same thing, but the draw to the sharper image ones are that they do not use a filter that is thrown away, you can clean the sharper image unit, so all the cost is up front.

One thing about a HEPA air purifier is that it sucks up power.....Leaving mine on or off is very noticable on the electric bill....

Living Air Purifier. They advertise it on the radio all the time. And when San Diego almost went up in flames if you were around one there was absolutely no smoke smell. I have been in a room with the Ionic and it makes a wierd odor in the area its being used in (its ozone) I personally couldnt live with it.

Back