9950X and 9950X3D is going to be terrific.

so 23% faster in non-gaming/productivity and maybe 3% slower in gaming compared to the 7800X3D?...I've been itching to upgrade for months now...ideally the 9800X3D sounds like the best CPU for my needs but the 9700X might be tough to pass up on

I have a 1440p G-Sync monitor
It's all game dependant.

We are only a few weeks from launch. Just wait for reviews. Zen4 X3D has been $350 or less, so many times since ~September. You will be able to get a great price if it turns out 9700X isnt what you want.

The 9700X could be more like 8-20% slower in gaming, depending what these "improvements to 3D V-Cache" is. The 7800X3D is 16% faster than the 7700X, the 5800X3D was 8% faster than the 5800X in gaming.

it'll definitely be much slower in gaming compared to a 9800X3D...but when compared to a 7800X3D the 9700X will most likely be very close in performance...ideally I'd love to wait for the 9800X3D but it all depends on the release date...the 9700X should be a very good all-around performer (gaming + productivity)

any news on the new chipset and mobos for the 9xxx chips?

I thought I read that the new Zen 5 motherboards would not be launching with the new CPU's in July...apparently they're going to drop around the same time as the new X3D chips in September...seems like the 'real' Zen 5 launch is in September with the X3D CPU's and July is just the soft launch with the non X3D variants

I thought I read that the new Zen 5 motherboards would not be launching with the new CPU's in July...apparently they're going to drop around the same time as the new X3D chips in September...seems like the 'real' Zen 5 launch is in September with the X3D CPU's and July is just the soft launch with the non X3D variants
I'm more wondering if the new chipset/ new mobos is just a relabel of the X670E, or will there be a decent amount of new features or selections. My tomahawk x670e is a great mobo, but they all seemed to suffer in how the pci-e lanes were laid out.

I'm more wondering if the new chipset/ new mobos is just a relabel of the X670E, or will there be a decent amount of new features or selections. My tomahawk x670e is a great mobo, but they all seemed to suffer in how the pci-e lanes were laid out.
USB4 is probably the biggest inclusion, in other words, not that major. It's like the 2nd gen on an intel socket: if buying new, go with that, but nothing to upgrade to if you're already on the platform.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
USB4 is probably the biggest inclusion, in other words, not that major. It's like the 2nd gen on an intel socket: if buying new, go with that, but nothing to upgrade to if you're already on the platform.

yup USB 4 and WiFi 7 seem to be the biggest new features

It only supports it for overclocking. I think the highest properly supported speed for AM5 is 5200, with anything above that not guaranteed to work.
.... Yeah. That was implied?

(checked what forum that I'm in, shakes head)

Your post made it sound like you didn't think 6800 would be an improvement even though it's higher than 5200.
Yeah, still not following your train of thought, sorry.

I understand the words, but not how you came to those conclusions.

Yeah, still not following your train of thought, sorry.

I understand the words, but not how you came to those conclusions.
If there's a change in memory speed support to 6800, it must be the official, non-overclocked speed that's changing. It would have to be that spec that's changing, not the max overclocked speed, since as you pointed out motherboards can already go higher than 6800. Since such a change would imply better signal integrity, the max. overclocked speed that motherboard manufacturers advertise would likely increase too.

If there's a change in memory speed support to 6800, it must be the official, non-overclocked speed that's changing. It would have to be that spec that's changing, not the max overclocked speed, since as you pointed out motherboards can already go higher than 6800. Since such a change would imply better signal integrity, the max. overclocked speed that motherboard manufacturers advertise would likely increase too.
Guess we'll see!

this would actually be a good idea...I hope it's true...would make the 9700X much more tempting versus just waiting for the 9800X3D

AMD Might Re-Spec Ryzen 7 9700X “Zen 5” CPU With Higher 120W TDP To Outpace Its 7800X3D Chip

Based on the information we have learned, AMD has updated its partners with a possible spec change for the 8-core part...it's being said that the AMD Ryzen 7 9700X might get a TDP of 120W which is almost 2x its current and official figure of 65W...the information also comes right after recent statements by the red team that suggest that the existing Ryzen 7000X3D CPUs, such as the Ryzen 7 7800X3D, are still the king in gaming performance

While the performance of the Ryzen 9000 CPUs will be close to the Ryzen 7000X3D parts this time around, the Ryzen 7000X3D chips will still have the edge plus their added value with the recent discounts might make them the better buying option...so a TDP adjustment and slightly higher clocks can lead to the Ryzen 7 9700X being a better solution and the area where Zen 5 would shine is the multi-threaded performance...

https://wccftech.com/amd-might-re-spec-ryzen-7-9700x-zen-5-cpu-higher-120w-tdp-to-outpace-7800x3d/

this would actually be a good idea...I hope it's true...would make the 9700X much more tempting versus just waiting for the 9800X3D

AMD Might Re-Spec Ryzen 7 9700X “Zen 5” CPU With Higher 120W TDP To Outpace Its 7800X3D Chip

Based on the information we have learned, AMD has updated its partners with a possible spec change for the 8-core part...it's being said that the AMD Ryzen 7 9700X might get a TDP of 120W which is almost 2x its current and official figure of 65W...the information also comes right after recent statements by the red team that suggest that the existing Ryzen 7000X3D CPUs, such as the Ryzen 7 7800X3D, are still the king in gaming performance

While the performance of the Ryzen 9000 CPUs will be close to the Ryzen 7000X3D parts this time around, the Ryzen 7000X3D chips will still have the edge plus their added value with the recent discounts might make them the better buying option...so a TDP adjustment and slightly higher clocks can lead to the Ryzen 7 9700X being a better solution and the area where Zen 5 would shine is the multi-threaded performance...

https://wccftech.com/amd-might-re-spec-ryzen-7-9700x-zen-5-cpu-higher-120w-tdp-to-outpace-7800x3d/

This still seems like an L to me because my 7800X3D pulls anywhere from 40-60 watts during gaming load so if a 9700X requires DOUBLE the power of 120 watts just to barely beat it...I don't know man that doesn't really sound like a win in my book.

This still seems like an L to me because my 7800X3D pulls anywhere from 40-60 watts during gaming load so if a 9700X requires DOUBLE the power of 120 watts just to barely beat it...I don't know man that doesn't really sound like a win in my book.
7800X3D is also a 120w TDP part ;)

for something like zen4, 65w eco mode versus over 100 watt PBO did not change much and if they had previously really decided on that 65w tpd, probably very little gain to be made and few game that will be able to use them.

7800X3D is also a 120w TDP part ;)

Yeah but like I said it only pulled 40-60 watts in games so I just don't see how giving the 9700X a max TDP of 120 watts is going to change anything vs 65 watts, if it can't beat it with a 65 watts max TDP then that is already an L to begin with. If it's allowed to use the new maximum of 120 to barely inch ahead of the 7800X3D then the 7800X3D still wins in efficiency.

Yeah but like I said it only pulled 40-60 watts in games so I just don't see how giving the 9700X a max TDP of 120 watts is going to change anything vs 65 watts, if it can't beat it with a 65 watts max TDP then that is already an L to begin with. If it's allowed to use the new maximum of 120 to barely inch ahead of the 7800X3D then the 7800X3D still wins in efficiency.

if the new 120w TDP allows it to surpass the 7800X3D then it will be better overall in gaming as well as multitasking/productivity...AMD realizes that too many people are just going to wait for the 3D V-Cache CPU's so they need to give people a reason to upgrade to the new Zen 5 non-3D cache models

if the new 120w TDP allows it to surpass the 7800X3D then it will be better overall in gaming as well as multitasking/productivity...AMD realizes that too many people are just going to wait for the 3D V-Cache CPU's so they need to give people a reason to upgrade to the new Zen 5 non-3D cache models
This man gets it. ;)

That's a good way to look at it. For a gaming only build though, 7800X3D is just the better buy.

It seems quite odd that the TDP would be jumped up that much. 65w to 95w or even 105w is one thing but to go from 65w to 120w seems odd.

With that large of a jump it makes me wonder if yields are nowhere what they expected and clock speeds can't be sustained without a lot of extra wattage. Putting out a statement about the gaming performance sounds more like an excuse to cover up for problems.

That's a good way to look at it. For a gaming only build though, 7800X3D is just the better buy.
Hear me out,

The big issue with asymetric X3D versus non X3D cache Chiplets was that the X3D chiplets were much lower clocked, yet ironically ran games MUCH better. but Windows naturally runs larger, more demanding processes on HIGHER clocked cores, Thus the BS involving the Xbox Game Bar (that I uninstall from my machines)

So what if the higher end X3D Chips ALSO had a ZenC Chiplet?

So 8 cores X3D + 16 cores ZenC

The X3D cores would be faster clockspeed, and you get tons of lower clocked cores for bigger tasks that a prosumer would want to do aside from gaming. Plus no xbox game bar BS as the default windows scheduler will work for this configuration...

I can't think of many tasks that a 8X3D + 16ZC would be slower in versus 8X3D + 8Z...

Maybe if there is a setting in the BIOS to enable the higher TDP/performance that would be a nice option. It will be faster outside of games where the 7800X3D isn't horrible, but certainly not quite as good as other CPUs at the same/lower price.

Maybe if there is a setting in the BIOS to enable the higher TDP/performance that would be a nice option. It will be faster outside of games where the 7800X3D isn't horrible, but certainly not quite as good as other CPUs at the same/lower price.

that's what PC Gamer mentioned as a possibility...

"Unless this change has been in the works for a while, my guess is it is too late to make a change this dramatic. Even if the higher core count 9000-series CPUs have higher TDPs, this kind of change takes time to test and validate, and if chips are already shipping as expected, then I'd lean more towards AMD board partners introducing something like a 120W gaming mode, with it being enabled via the BIOS or AMD's Ryzen Master app"

https://www.pcgamer.com/hardware/pr...ice-to-the-ryzen-7-9700x-in-order-to-beat-it/

that's what PC Gamer mentioned as a possibility...

"Unless this change has been in the works for a while, my guess is it is too late to make a change this dramatic. Even if the higher core count 9000-series CPUs have higher TDPs, this kind of change takes time to test and validate, and if chips are already shipping as expected, then I'd lean more towards AMD board partners introducing something like a 120W gaming mode, with it being enabled via the BIOS or AMD's Ryzen Master app"

https://www.pcgamer.com/hardware/pr...ice-to-the-ryzen-7-9700x-in-order-to-beat-it/

Yeah we're talking a nearly 100% increase in TDP with only 1 month left to go before launch so this just doesn't seem like something they would do.

Back