9800XT go insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by MaMMa
I just called Fry's [H]ouston, not gonna work there. :mad:

of course it wont work, im sure all frys store managers were informed of this typo, what we need to try to do is get a PM from a diff store.

Bastards. This is totally bait and switch.

Someone needs to go get some braindead retail worker (no offense to anyone working on "the front lines," but most don't have a damn clue what they even had for breakfast ;)) to PM to this. Sadly, I don't have a Fry's around here that I could PM to.

This is ridiculous. Wrong box art, wrong SKU, and wrong price. I bet some high-up executive at Fry's thought this would be a good way to boost sales. :mad: :mad: :mad:

does anyone have a picture of the whole page with the 9800 XT and the frys logo on the paper. im going to compusa to see if they will price match it but they probley have to see the frys logo on there. please i will kiss you and send you 1 doller via paypal no jokes.

I think they are going to call frys because the price will be like 200-250 dollars off?

Originally posted by iDunno
I think they are going to call frys because the price will be like 200-250 dollars off?

They always call when you PM. Either that or check the website. Otherwise, I could photoshop an ad and bring it in.

However, we are hoping for a stupid CSR who knows nothing about graphics cards that will be a little slack and not phone.

last time i pricematched a HDD at compusa from a frys ad and they didnt call. could someone please scan the whole page and post it would give you a buck

i used to work at frys, and we had a co-worker who always get friends in and do the changes himself... but he got caught one day and got fired :| but he made out with alot of shit.... big screen tvs, bought alot of processors and return different ones with same shells... and when cashiers at frys do pricematch or change, they have to have a supervisor ok it... but alot of time the supervisors just hit the ok button.. sometimes ur lucky sometimes ur not :| and there people out by the doors who make sure u get your products correctly, but u are allowed to walk straight out if even the door checkers ask you to show the reciept, the law prohibits them to stop you... but if they have evidence something is fishy they can retain you and show you what happen..

Originally posted by zoltan
does anyone have a picture of the whole page with the 9800 XT and the frys logo on the paper. im going to compusa to see if they will price match it but they probley have to see the frys logo on there. please i will kiss you and send you 1 doller via paypal no jokes.

Found this on another "deal site."

http://files.brutis.net/frys.jpg

Hope it helps. :)

Docsig4.jpg

Speaking of bait and switch (and sorry for being off topic a bit), if you take a look at the rest of the fry's ad, they have a sony minidv camcorder on sale for 299, new not refurb. If you grab the p/n and look it up on google, you'll find it's a discontinued Digital8 camcorder, which are old crappy camcorders that were good 3 years ago! It's funny they plainly display in the ad "MINIDV" as to get you there to purchase a sony minidv camcorder for 299. I swear I like fry's sometime's but they are friggin a-holes when it comes to advertising! My .2

-Rikus

aww man... If there was a frys here in the sunshine state I would have taken that ad to every bb and compusa in the state until I found one to do the pm and pay with cash!

WELLLLL..... I just went to best buy and they said they had 10 at first. Well when they were checking me out their were other people and they kind of caught on I think. Asked for my ad to keep. All I know out of probably 5-7 people that were there to price match I was the only one that walked out with one for only $203. :D

mmmmm ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb goodness for $203. I love it.

notice: sorry for bragging :rolleyes:

also.... I went friday and they said they were out. They were hiding them.

Should I print it out and go to best buy? You think they will do it? What should I do to get this deal?

I called them and they said they would call Fry's to verify. If its different price. Then they wont do it. It has to be in stock and exact price at Fry's :(

That sucks, i always thought all the NorCal ads were all the same, but mine here in the San Ramon Valley area had the price at $399 to begin with:( Congrads on getting the card though, your a lucky one ;)

My friend tried to go in after me today and get one and they said the frys ad is a misprint. Also that they called all the stores warning them.

Originally posted by kenshinjdm
Good work...atleast one person got it. They can't come after him right? See that he paid by credit

Yeah. Not only would it be illegal to come after him, it wouldn't be worth it for BB corporate to jump through legal hoops to get $200 back.

If they decided to charge him $300 more, it would be "bait and switch," which is totally and completely immoral and illegal anyway you cut it.

Dude, me and Oakfan wasted a whole damn day on this deal. It went down like this:

Got to the Best Buy in Elk Grove (just south of Sacramento) like 2 minutes after opening time. Went straight to the video cards. Two guys were already looking at the last one, and when they saw us coming, they smirked and grabbed it and went. They took it to an employee who price matched it with no prob. On his way out, he told us that the Stockton store (about 45 miles south of Elk Grove) supposedly had two.

Ok, got directions and bolted to Stockton as fast as we could. Got there, and they would NOT honor the price match. The reason that Andy gave was that since Fry's sometimes sells refurbished equipment, that they do not price match because anything in the ad could be refurb'd. (It's not like refurb'ed stuff isnt labeled as that in the ad or anything.) That's a manager making a bullshit excuse not to deal with a situation. I used to work for Best Buy and we matched Fry's all the time. So anyway, we buy the cards for full price and figure either the Elk Grove store will price match like they did earlier in the day, or else we'd just return it for a full refund. No way to lose.

So we heead back to the Elk Grove store and by now they know what's going on. They flat out refuse to price match it. Fine, I just want to return it. First they cant return it without a manager because it will not be avaliable in their system till the next day. So they get a manager, Brian, to come over. Well Brian kinda got an attitude and started interrogating us on the return, but eventaully OK's it. So I have my return reciept showing the credit. Then both CSR's disappear with the 9800 I just returned.

Before Oakfan can return his they come back with the one I returned. He tells me he cannot return it because "it's been tampered with". What he did was take the box to the managers office around the corner and opened it without me even present. He says it didnt look like it was factory shrink wrap and that once he opened it, he could tell that it had OBVIOUSLY been re-shrinked. So he can't return it, so he demands my refund reciept. Well I hand it over cuz I figure he'll just Post Void the refund anyway, so the reciept is useless. He opens Oakfan's 9800, and it has obviously re-shrinked too, as the tape on the stuff inside was not right. He says that he will not return it, and that it's up to the Stockton store to make good on this. He would not even have a tech verify that they were 9800's, and that they worked, and would not even let us PAY a tech to look at it so we might possibly be able to save a drive to Stockton. No way out...

So we head back to Stockton. Brian had phone Brandon, the sales manager at the Stockton store, so he knew what was up. The return at Stockton went without a fight. Props to Brandon on that one, but Brian sure needs to work on his customer service skills.

My main issues with this situation:

1) There was an XT in the box when we attempted to do a return. It's not like we were scamming, by putting a 1980's Trident card in there and re-shrinking it.

2) They refused to test the card, even when we offered to PAY them to.

3) Brian opened the first box in his office, where we couldnt see it. How do we know at least that one wasnt a new item?

4) Would not return it, and forced us to drive an extra 90 miles round trip to return the item at the Stockton store. Best Buy takes anything back for any reason within the return period, with a valid reciept. There was no reason for Brian to deny this return EXCEPT that a $1,000 hit on his stores revenue would hurt his standings in their district store competition.

I understand Best Buy not wanting to price match on Fry's typo, but Best Buy's customer service skills are EXTREMELY lacking. Also, since Oakfan and I used to work there, we talked to some of the guys there we knew. From what they told us, the guy who got the last one had to return it cuz there was a 9600 shrink wrapped in the box. Since he shouldnt have gotten a 9800XT to begin with, they simply refunded his money and refused to exchange it for him even if he waited till they got more in stock.

Overall, a majorly wasted day.

i got my 9800 XT for 188 at the old compusa they pricematched without asking.

I would just like to state that Best Buy is a cult! They don't really care about making money. They just want to beat the other best buy's in their region. Theire ignorance never ceases to amaze me. and Brian owes us gas money. nothing a garden hose can't fix i guess ;)

im returning the 9800 XT i got for store credit then buying the n40 when it comes out. i made 300 bucks :)

Originally posted by zoltan
im returning the 9800 XT i got for store credit then buying the n40 when it comes out. i made 300 bucks :)

Not only is that immoral, but i doubt it'll work, especailly when they have to give you something like $400 store credit after you "mysteriously" lost the recipt. Most places will say your out of luck

um, ive done it plenty of times and im returning it to a differnt location.... just say it was a gift. i returned 10 PNY ram coolers that i took from the nvidia booth the compusa and they gave me 100 $ store credit.... you obviosly dont know what you are talking about.

p.s ill be getting 500 store credit if i return to compusa i just need to know if they are going to carry the r40, and n45s. does anyone know for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back