• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9800pro to FX5200, help please.

I had a fx5200 (until about 2 weeks ago when my comp broke).

I think it sucks. It all depends on the rest of your system though. If you have a more modern CPU/ram/etc, then you should be ok. If the rest of your stuff is from the 5200 era or before, then you don't have a snowball in hell's chance of running anything more than Age of Empires on higher than the lowest possible settings. And no chance of running WoW, CS:S, HL2, DOOM3, or the rest at all.

From what I've seen(of a friend's 9800pro)/read a 9800pro would be an insane step up from a fx5200.
 
CleanSlate said:
I dont think you understand that the drivers you "fixed" were windows drivers... windows drivers are loaded when windows loads.

As you explained it in a former post... when you booted up and were still in the bios start up screen you had IDE detection problems, your windows IDE drivers had not been loaded and have nothing to do with the detection of IDE drives by the bios.

I honestly dont know how much simpler I can put it.

For all deductive reasoning I can pull out of my mind, you haven't fixed anything but a windows problem with that fix you posted. Maybe you changed something in the bios or reset the bios as well as that windows driver fix? Other than that you are still faced with IDE detection problems which points deductively to motherboard or psu issues.

~Adam

Nope. Fixed it all. No problems. I even had the motherboard tested at a shop (for $50 dollars) and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Chaintech support even said to reinstall the chipset drivers. I also cleared the CMOS, maybe that did it? Who knows for sure, I just know that it all works flawless now.
 
Russ said:
I had a fx5200 (until about 2 weeks ago when my comp broke).

I think it sucks. It all depends on the rest of your system though. If you have a more modern CPU/ram/etc, then you should be ok. If the rest of your stuff is from the 5200 era or before, then you don't have a snowball in hell's chance of running anything more than Age of Empires on higher than the lowest possible settings. And no chance of running WoW, CS:S, HL2, DOOM3, or the rest at all.

From what I've seen(of a friend's 9800pro)/read a 9800pro would be an insane step up from a fx5200.

I had the 9800pro....I sold it and went to a FX5200. I have it in my XP3000+, 2x512mb PC3200 (dual channel) system and I can play CS:S with decent frames if I turn everything down to mid or low.

I am going to be upgrading to s939 and PCI-e soon.
 
Tiny said:
I had the 9800pro....I sold it and went to a FX5200. I have it in my XP3000+, 2x512mb PC3200 (dual channel) system and I can play CS:S with decent frames if I turn everything down to mid or low.

I am going to be upgrading to s939 and PCI-e soon.

I think the ram is a huge factor in it all. I had 600 something (512+128) mb of sdram in my machine at one point, but I had to reduce it to 256mb and it put a huge hole in the games I could play.

I also have a 1.4ghz T-bird.
 
rfwinters77 said:
It's rediculous when people say stuff like this.

I had a 5200, upgraded to a 6600GT, then had to sell that and am
currently using a 5200 again until I can get a better card in a week or so.

I was able to play (and highly enjoy) Doom 3, Half-Life 2, etc. just fine.

7800 GT?
stanico.gif
 
Back
Top