• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9800pro still costs $200!

eddie500

Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Messages
1,009
I have not looked at video card's for over a year, but could not believe that the 9800pro 128 meg card still closts almost 200 dollars!

How could this old crappy card, which both my 9700pro and 9800pro both had overheating problems, still cost 200 dollars!

Thses video card IMOP are all overpriced. NOrmally after a year prices fall to almost nothing.
 
yeah I'm pretty sure I was at newegg earlier and they had a saphire 9800 pro for like $133. Maybe you're seeing those prices at brick and mortar stores, canada's futureshop has aiw 9800 pros for $250CAD(~$200 US). So if your shopping for a video card buy online.
 
eddie500 said:
I have not looked at video card's for over a year, but could not believe that the 9800pro 128 meg card still closts almost 200 dollars!

How could this old crappy card, which both my 9700pro and 9800pro both had overheating problems, still cost 200 dollars!

Thses video card IMOP are all overpriced. NOrmally after a year prices fall to almost nothing.

obviously you have no idea what you are talking about.
 
FanATIc said:
obviously you have no idea what you are talking about.


Which part exactly? THe overheating part? Both my 9700pro and 9800pro when they got hot my games would freeze. Both cards were compelty in different systems and both had problems the 9700pro was much worse. WHy am I so sure about overheating? Becuase when the summer months came and my room was hotter, both cards had problems, as soon as the cool weather came it was better again. I also had to put a fan direclty blowing on the cards and that helped. SO thats why my next video card will be a Geforce, I'm not gonig to take any more chances, because it totally sucks when your computer freezes while your in a game.

I posted the link with the built by ATI video card going for $195. This is the exact same card I have in my system that I bought well over a year ago.. and it still costs a whopping $195 dollars.
 
Then perhaps your case ventilation strategy needs to be worked on. Did you have any case fans at all? How was it setup?

FanATIc = flamebaiter & his sig is too long.
 
What's your point?

I have a 9700 Pro still in my LAN rig, its never had a singel heat problem. 9800 Pro was my last card in the main rig, again no heat problems. I think you simply didnt have a properly cooled case.

Secondly, you can find 9800 Pro's for as little as $120. You found the highest priced 9800 Pro on newegg and then tried to claim they are all that price. :rolleyes:
 
Haha, he is saying the card sucks because he has insufficient cooling. That makes so much sense. I have had one for coming up 3 years now, and the fan is dying on it, it buzzes and even then I can OC it too 396/366 on air, and it has never frozen on me.
 
I must agree.. These ATI cards are just too expensive over here when you take their age into consideration. NOT saying they are bad tho.. but still
 
and he didn't say all ati's and myself I would NOT buy any ati but a ati card, no sap no connect 3d no anything, so yeah it is up there in price.

stop posting inferior cards as saying "look there cheap" no the ATI card is not cheap.
 
i had a 9800pro ..never had a heat issue. i know places like bb and cc...have high prices even with older cards. but who buys cards from them anyways. :cool:
 
That $200 Radeon is the Mac version.
Therefore the higher price is there, of course. It says it supports Opengl 2.0, is that right?
 
eddie500 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102381

Nope right here on New egg.

ATI 100-435050 Radeon 9800PRO 128MB 256-bit DDR AGP 2X/4X Video Card - Retail
$195.

And this is after having to mail in a rebate. And we all know that mailing in rebates suck. I've lost a lot of money by being lazy with rebates.
Wrong link. That $195 price is for the MacOS-specific version of the Radeon 9800 Pro.

Here is the real price for the retail version of the Windows-specific BBA Radeon 9800 Pro (at the same vendor, NewEgg):
$159.

And no rebate malarkey to fool around with for that item, either.
 
I think they still have ti4800 for like 200? or was it 300 @ newegg. lol the only reason why they still cost so much is b/c newegg doesn't wanna loose any profit I guess. but anyways..it differetiate from manufactor to manufactor.wow I ahve bad speling
 
Firebomb said:
and he didn't say all ati's and myself I would NOT buy any ati but a ati card, no sap no connect 3d no anything, so yeah it is up there in price.

stop posting inferior cards as saying "look there cheap" no the ATI card is not cheap.

You're stupid.

Sapphire makes ATi cards. And none of the add in boards are "crap" they are just as high quality. BTW: Going by your though process, dont all Nvidia cards suck then? Since you cant buy one from Nvidia?
 
I think ATI does have over heating issue. Most of the time you only see ATI dies and that's why they only have 3 years of warranty.
 
Skrying said:
You're stupid.

Sapphire makes ATi cards. And none of the add in boards are "crap" they are just as high quality. BTW: Going by your though process, dont all Nvidia cards suck then? Since you cant buy one from Nvidia?

I was thinking the same thing, but you got it first :). All these cards are practically the same anyway. The manufacturers just build to the specifications of the reference card. In fact, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Connect 3D and the ATI card if you took off all the decals.
 
Back
Top