9800 GX2 temps?

APOLLO

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2009
Anyone with a 9800 GX2 can inform me what your temperatures are like on a typical hot day? One of my GPUs is running high and throttling, lowering the performance of one client substantially. I never seen this before (only had the card a couple of months) and checked that the fan is running at over 3100 RPM according to RT, so it looks fine but noticed that the amount of air exhausting from the card feels less (weird). I removed what little OC I had but the only thing that lowers the temps to any significant amount is stropping one GPU client entirely.

Have you cleaned the card recently? Maybe it's time to reapply some new TIM..I was going to go with a single 9800GX2 but reading about the sheer amount of heat they produce scared me considering there were no reviews on the amount of heat the X6's were outputting o/c'd...

Goodluck and hopefully someone else might have a suggestion..

Have you cleaned the card recently? Maybe it's time to reapply some new TIM..I was going to go with a single 9800GX2 but reading about the sheer amount of heat they produce scared me considering there were no reviews on the amount of heat the X6's were outputting o/c'd...
I blew dust out of the card earlier this month and doubt the card needs cleaning again, but I'll probably do it once more. I looked at the card when I removed it from the system at that time and it appears to be a very solidly constructed unit (EVGA). I don't think I would want to go through the trouble to disassemble it, especially after reading comments in the past about it being a major hassle. Right now, I have a high power 80mm fan blowing on the fan inlet end of the card, and that has reduced temperature a few degrees under 100. That's not enough though. Surely, there's got to be a better way to cool this thing. :eek:

I blew dust out of the card earlier this month and doubt the card needs cleaning again, but I'll probably do it once more. I looked at the card when I removed it from the system at that time and it appears to be a very solidly constructed unit (EVGA). I don't think I would want to go through the trouble to disassemble it, especially after reading comments in the past about it being a major hassle. Right now, I have a high power 80mm fan blowing on the fan inlet end of the card, and that has reduced temperature a few degrees under 100. That's not enough though. Surely, there's got to be a better way to cool this thing. :eek:

yep take a baseball bat... throw the 9800GX2 in the air and hit it for a home run into the trash.. lol jk.. honestly theres no way to keep that damn card cool.. only way would be to underclock the gpu's..

.. honestly theres no way to keep that damn card cool.. only way would be to underclock the gpu's..
I'm running it at stock (1674) which is only one step lower than the OC I was using before my issue surfaced today. It's not stable any higher. I wouldn't mind the high temps so much if it didn't throttle. As long as it stays around the 100 deg mark or a bit higher, it's OK, but anything higher than that and one of the GPUs begins to throttle. Had I gone the dual 8800 route I usually take, there would be no problem. Just reapply some fresh compound and worse comes to worst you replace the HSF or add some fans.

Although I knew about the insufficient cooling, I was under the false impression these cards were OK at stock frequencies in an open case environment, even 24/7. I would not have acquired the card had I known better whatever the price, especially because aftermarket cooling is practically unavailable and something ordinarily simple like applying better thermal compound is ridiculously involved..

mine usually run low 100s
tried the new 257.21 driver a couple of hours ago on 2 of mine and they are now in the upper 90s so maybe that might help

mine usually run low 100s
tried the new 257.21 driver a couple of hours ago on 2 of mine and they are now in the upper 90s so maybe that might help
Thanks for the tip, I was mulling whether to upgrade drivers or not. Is the PPD close to what your cards were producing before the driver update?

I'm running it at stock (1674) which is only one step lower than the OC I was using before my issue surfaced today. It's not stable any higher. I wouldn't mind the high temps so much if it didn't throttle. As long as it stays around the 100 deg mark or a bit higher, it's OK, but anything higher than that and one of the GPUs begins to throttle. Had I gone the dual 8800 route I usually take, there would be no problem. Just reapply some fresh compound and worse comes to worst you replace the HSF or add some fans.

Although I knew about the insufficient cooling, I was under the false impression these cards were OK at stock frequencies in an open case environment, even 24/7. I would not have acquired the card had I known better whatever the price, especially because aftermarket cooling is practically unavailable and something ordinarily simple like applying better thermal compound is ridiculously involved..

You're running it open? Why don't you go buy a $20 box fan and see if that takes care of your problem?:D

You're running it open? Why don't you go buy a $20 box fan and see if that takes care of your problem?:D
I have a temporary 92mm attached to the side exhaust that's helping out by a few degrees and will replace it with a more powerful 120mm fan. I wish there was space for a box fan but the way the system is situated and all the other stuff around it, there isn't much I can do without moving it to another room, which isn't an option now. I can get pretty creative about cooling solutions, I just wanted to know what people were doing with their GX2 cards. All I can say from my experience since I got the card is what the heck was nVidia thinking...?! :eek:

Curious about the card throttling, I have an EVGA 9800GX2 also, the temps around here have been getting pretty warm. On warm day both GPUs run 104C on a hot WU. I have yet to notice any throttling. I was getting a bit nervous about the temps, I believe max recommended temp is 105C, I found a 120mm fan place on top of the card, and drawing air away works best in my setup, an open case. I use 2 120mm fans drawing air away from cards drops temps down to 90c. Also found without any other fans a box fan works OK, but with the 2 120 mm fans the box fan doesn't help. The card helped heat the house this past winter:rolleyes: now if I could just find good use for all this heat during the summer.

Thanks for the tip, I was mulling whether to upgrade drivers or not. Is the PPD close to what your cards were producing before the driver update?
temps stayed less than 98 all day today. PPD is the same as before the update

Curious about the card throttling, I have an EVGA 9800GX2 also, the temps around here have been getting pretty warm. On warm day both GPUs run 104C on a hot WU.
That's approximately what I have seen on the hotter of the two GPUs on the card, possibly even a little higher than that.

I have yet to notice any throttling. I was getting a bit nervous about the temps, I believe max recommended temp is 105C,
105C is higher than other cards' recommended max temps, at least that's what I have been led to believe and part of the reason I was concerned for this card's expected usable life. I would like to keep the temps under triple digits even on the hottest days, if that's remotely possible running it at full load all the time. Perhaps that's asking too much, IDK.

I found a 120mm fan place on top of the card, and drawing air away works best in my setup, an open case. I use 2 120mm fans drawing air away from cards drops temps down to 90c.
You have two 120mm fans to cool your GX2? LOL, and I thought adding a decent single 120mm on the side exhaust vents pulling the air outwards would be OK. The temporary 92mm fan I had installed yesterday was replaced with a larger, faster TT 120mm today, and the temps only dropped by another 1-2 deg max compare to the 92mm, which also dropped the temps by 1-2 deg compared to the card unaided.

Thus, so far my efforts haven't resulted in any major improvement to significantly cool the card, and the weather was actually much more comfortable on Sunday, which makes me wonder if what I'm seeing is any improvement at all. Do you have a pic of your card, BTW? I'm curious how you positioned your dual 120s.

Also found without any other fans a box fan works OK, but with the 2 120 mm fans the box fan doesn't help..
If I ever install a second GX2, then I'd probably look to get a small-sized box fan and just place it over the cards to draw air away. Problem is I have two processors in this sytem with OEM HSFs that pull in air downwards from the top, so the air flow would be in the opposite direction if I positioned a box fan completely over the open side of the case. I'd either have to find a small box fan or move it away from the processors. Not an easy proposition to strike the perfect balance in aerodynamics. I think I'd rather just stick with standard computer fans and work around the problem somehow, possibly employing flexible ducts I used in all my Xeon systems for cooling RAM modules.

temps stayed less than 98 all day today. PPD is the same as before the update
I'll probably try the new drivers sometime this week. I should update all the drivers on my systems anyway. Haven't got around to it because the PPD is good on my 8800s, and didn't really need to change something that worked well and is already installed. But, if I can get even a few degrees cooler, it will prevent the throttling, so it's definitely worth it in my book. :cool:

Back