975x, 965, 680i...ugh! I could use some advice

ohlmsjm

n00b
I've purchased an E6600 and an Evga 8800 GTX video card that will sit in a Silverstone TJ09 case alongside a Zeus 850W power supply.

The problem I am having is determining which motherboard to spring for at this point in time and I was hoping the good folks here could lend a bit of advice that might help make the decision easier.

I don't know if I will ever run SLI but I would certainly like the board of purchase to be relatively future proof (3-5 years out of the system). Does that mean it must be SLI capable? *shrug* I'm running a 20" LCD from Dell at 1600x1200 so SLI really won't give me the bang for the buck.

I was determined to get the Striker Extreme from Asus, but it's out of stock everywhere and semi-negative reviews are popping up all over the net regarding it and the 680i chipset.
I also hadn't planned to overclock much if any at all so it's not necessary to have a board that can reach 500+ FSB, unless that's part of the future proof equation.

I was also looking at the Intel Bad Axe 2 motherboard for it's sheer stability and fact that it's an intel chipset. :)

I'm just torn right now on this gaming machine that I am trying to put together right now as to which chipset to shoot for.

Simple if you want to go SLI, go with the 680i chipset

I was thinking of going with a 680i based chipset but im happy with a single 8800gtx so i just picked up a badaxe 2, awesome board.. Anyways by the time the 8800 starts to struggle there should be a refresh. or faster cards out by then.. hopefully :D

Jasonx82, that's what my line of thinking was as well.

I don't plan to utilize SLI right now so I think I would be happy with the Intel board. I am having technological indecisiveness lol.

The 680i will always give you the best graphics performance because of the SLI. Other than that, the 965/975 boards are just as good for single card performance. I heard that the 975X is a little better clock for clock than the 965/680i, but probably not enough to make a major difference. I have a 975X (Asus P5W DH), and I don't plan on swapping it out anytime soon. I also have a 8800GTX on the way.

I just built:

Silverstone TJ07
be quiet 700W PSU
EN8800GTX GPU
E6700 CPU
Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 x 2
Gygabyte 965P-DQ6 (get Rev.2)
1.7TB Samsung HDDs
Eizo S2410W monitors x 2

The DQ6 has an OC friendly BIOS and is meant as an OCer's board. I've only superficially played Quake4, Prey, Ghost Recon and this set up does everything at the highest res and detail with ease. I have really built this system for photo work, but it seems capable of about everything.

The DQ6 is Crossfire ready and there is a driver out there that makes it SLI workable, though I can't see what I would want that for. The EN8800GTX has two independent DVI outputs, so my needs are covered.

I really want a board that is ROCK SOLID stable that performs well and I'm really not all that interested in overclocking to be honest.

I go with trusted names like "Asus", "Gigabyte", and "Intel"..as I've had good luck in the past with them. Therein lies the crux of my situation:

Asus Striker Extreme vs P5N32-E SLI vs Gigabyte DQ6/DS3 vs Bad Axe 2.

This is utimately the decision that I have been faced with and I know that from a technological limitation, only 2 of those boards will give me SLI for the future. I keep asking myself if I will even ever USE SLI or will it just be a waste of money for the board??

If I use SLI, go Extreme or P5N32-E
If I don't use SLI go Bad Axe or Gigabyte...

Is that how I should be approaching this??

i say get 680i because if u dont use SLI it will still give u good stable porformance on both sides

BTW SLI is not a waste of money its just that it works better on some games than others like i will run doom well but not farcry think its a driver issue

Yeah, I would say that there really is no need to go 680i unless you're going SLI.

But then again, if you're not OCing, you don't necessarily need to go all out on a board either unless you're looking for specific features.

I'd say Asus P5N32-E SLI (the 680i version) if you're going SLI and say a Badaxe2 if you're not going SLI.

As most people realize, SLI for "down the line" is pretty silly most of the time. It makes sense if you're going for all out performance NOW, and full on performance down the line by swapping both out for two of the latest gen cards. Most of the time, a single next gen card is a smarter idea than adding a second older card, so people sell the old high end card, and buy a single new card. Price difference is fairly insignificant.

Keeping this in mind, I say ditch the SLI capable board unless you're buying two 8800gtxs.

you could get the asus p5n-e-sli and run it with one 8800 @ 16x--then if you need it you can go sli with two 8x slots . which i don't think your going to need sli but it's nice to have just in case .

from over at XS--the asus with the 650i is shaping up pretty good and has hit some nice overclocks . for the going price of $129+ it isn't too bad of a deal and competitive with 965p's

so if you don't ever go sli--you won't have spent anymore than you would have on a DS-3 or asus p5-b-e --which are very good mb's as well. i just wouldn't rule out the 650i's just yet. :cool:

as far as future proof-- thats an oxymoronic term . as new chipsets , vrm, ddr-3 and all kinds of cpu fadrication changes are in the works . so what works for 65nm might work with 45nm--but 35nm ? who knows ? with some luck you might be able to ride it out untill after wolfdale --maybe--maybe not --???

Everyone has made really good points thus far and I think Skadebo hit it on the nose for me.

If I definitively rule out SLI then as a requirement, the doors open up for me on boards/chipsets which begs the question:

What would be the top 5 recommendations for motherboards based upon the following requirements.

First and foremost I want something stable.
I am not interested in any serious overclocking as this will be a long running machine. (Perhaps mild overclocking so user friendly bios tools would help)
I don't plan to run SLI but I do plan to run an 8800 GTX video card for gaming/media creation/etc.

My top 5 would be:

Asus P5W DH
Intel Bad Axe 2
Asus P5B Deluxe
eVGA 680i
Gigabyte DQ6

ohlmsjm said:
I really want a board that is ROCK SOLID stable that performs well and I'm really not all that interested in overclocking to be honest.

ohlmsjm said:
First and foremost I want something stable.

Buy an Intel board.

If you want something that is solid, stable and has excellent overclocking potential then get the Bad Axe 2.

Other chipsets will give you bigger FSB numbers if you decide to overclock, but performance-wise, it will still be a wash.

I'd say rule out the 680i boards completely. I'm not suggesting they're bad, but they're new. They're currently having some pretty serious issues which will hopefully get resolved. In any event, the 680i simply has not been on the market long enough to establish the track record that the 975X has. Period.

You've mentioned stability twice. If you want to play the odds, then the 975X gives you the best chance of achieving what you most desire right out of the box.

I literally just finished installing a 8800GTX in my 975X board and I like it :D.

Deke speaketh the truth! Regardless of what is "popular" at the moment, Intel on Intel is still a great proposition, and after hearing of Asus' terrible RMA department, that makes it even a much better option since Intel's RMA is topnotch.

And by all reports the BA2 is an excellent performer and overclocker. Haven't heard of any stability issues.

My Pics:

SLI:
eVGA 680i (Great features, awesome overclocking, hit or miss on quality.)
P5N32-E SLI (Great features, awesome layout)
Striker Extreme (Not for those with slim wallets)

Single card:
P5B Deluxe (Great feature set, awesome overclockability)
P5W DH Deluxe (Incredible feature set, very fast and stable, moderate/good overclocking)
P5W64-WS Professional (great features, awesome layout and overclockability)
D975XBXLKR "Bad Axe 2" (I know very little about this board, but on paper it looks great.)

If you are interested in SLI, then the 680i chipset based boards are your best and only real option. Be preppared for growing pains as you put the system together and shake out all the bugs.

If you are not interested in SLI, then the Intel chipset based boards are your BEST choice bar none. Especially the Intel board. You will have minimal, if not ZERO problems out of an Intel motherboard and the stability will be unmatched.

Excellent responses thus far and of course since everyone is highlighting the beautiful things about each technology it makes it even MORE difficult to make a decision for my next large purchase rig of choice lol.

Asus P5B Delxue
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Intel Bad Axe2

*sigh* It's getting closer...I can feel it!

Now watch, I'm going to get an email from one of the many distributors that I subscribed to for product availability notification on the Striker Extreme!

If you're not going to OC, then get the Bad Axe 2 for stability par excellence. Note that the 680i chipset boards run HOT and will require the use of the cooling fan that comes with them. The Intel based boards do not, and the Bad Axe has a simple passive heatsink on the northbridge, not Asus fancy-dancy heatpipes they charge extra for.

ohlmsjm said:
Now watch, I'm going to get an email from one of the many distributors that I subscribed to for product availability notification on the Striker Extreme!
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you buy the Striker Extreme, you're a fool. No mobo is worth $400 unless it comes with a bundled CPU.

qdemn7 said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you buy the Striker Extreme, you're a fool. No mobo is worth $400 unless it comes with a bundled CPU.

QFT, that's a 6400 + P5B!

I easily forgot about the price point of the Striker and you make a valid statement.

It's going to essentially come down to:
Asus P5B Delxue
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Intel Bad Axe2

So I am reviewing features/performance/prices/reviews etc to get a grasp on which one will ultimately fit my needs.

Any input on those particular 3 would be great but I plan to do my own leg work regardless.

Thanks very much for the input thus far!!

P5B's 965, the other's are 975. AFAIK, you're talking about minor differences. One OC's better/has a newer SB, one performs better @ stock. The P5W comes w/ a remote! W/ a 6600, you don't really need the high OCability of a 965 board, do you? I think techreport did an arty comparing the 2 Asus boards.

EDIT: It's techreport...

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/asus-c2d/index.x?pg=1

Jodiuh said:
P5B's 965, the other's are 975. AFAIK, you're talking about minor differences. One OC's better/has a newer SB, one performs better @ stock. The P5W comes w/ a remote! W/ a 6600, you don't really need the high OCability of a 965 board, do you? I think techreport did an arty comparing the 2 Asus boards.

EDIT: It's techreport...

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/asus-c2d/index.x?pg=1

You are correct. P5B FTW if you are using an E6300 or E6400. If you are using an E6600 or higher, the P5W DH is a great choice.

The only reason not to stick to an Intel chipset at this point is if you need SLI support.

Asus P5W DH is a pimpster along with the Striker.
My P5W DH = goood, but a bitch until you get it overclocked just right. 975 = if you don't want to run SLI Nvidia unless you run hacked drivers, 965 = just a little cheaper cost on the boards + slower.

Since you have an e6600 you don't need the ultra high FSB of a 965 motherboard.

SLI is a waste an 8800GTX will be plenty fast enough for a while, and by the time you consider upgrading you can probably get a 9900GTX thats faster than 2x8800's. (as was the case with 1x8800 > 2x7900)

So with that I'd recommend a 975 board. Specifically the Asus P5W DH. Its slightly faster than a 965 at the same clock. And its max FSB (usually around 430+) should be more than enough to push that e6600 (9 x 430+ = 3.87+Ghz)

Hopefully you get a nice clock like 9x400 = 3.6Ghz!

Dan_D said:
The only reason not to stick to an Intel chipset at this point is if you need SLI support.

QFT

qdemn7 said:

I'll second that notion, especially because the OP stated multiple times that he's both interested in ROCK SOLID stability, and not at all interested in overclocking.

Purchasing a not-necessarily-stable overclocker's motherboard for $400 seems counterproductive when considering the two points above.

A blown video card on old proprietary computer, forced me to complete my initial build with an E6600 without the help of this thread or the net.

I had the same choices shortlisted as many of you unfortunately, i hadnt yet come to the part about the P5B being better suited for the e6400 and lower, so i picked up the P5B for my E6600. Here is what I built last night:

cpu: E6600
mobo: Asus P5B DLX
HSF: Zalman 9700 HSF
RAM: 2 gig OCZ2G10002GK DDR2 PC800 RAM
HDD: 74 gig WD Raptor @ 10,000 RPM
GPU: GeForce 7600 GS
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 650W
Case: AntecP180

Will be chassis fans today that work with P5B, the stock Antec chassic fans dont seem to.

The 7600GS was spare and will go in another machine when eVGA 8800 GTX arrives.
Probably will be learning and eventually building a custom water cooling for this test system but not sure.

Just begun benchmarking and I will let you know how my novice initial overclocking with E6600 on P5B DLX goes.

BTW I payed slightly over $200 for my P5B-DLX and I feel very satisfied (pre-OC at least) about my purchase; much more than if I just payed $400 for the Striker Extreme. I know P5B-DLX is proven overclocker and I personally am going to wait to see all the 680i chipset boards before purchasing an SLI board. I also know if this turns out to be a dud, I can return it to the store I purchased at and get another board or get refund in 30 days, so I feel protected as well and not trapped into a bad board.

Helluva a setup. I bet it's fast, quiet, and stable. Have fun!

Here's the final list that I just submitted today:

Cpu: E6600
Mobo: Intel Bad Axe 2
Memory: 2 GIGS Corsair Twin2x2048-8500C5D
Video: EVGA 8800GTX
Case: Silverstone TJ09 Black (bought 3 additional Scythe 120mm Fans for it)
Cpu cooling: Zalman CNPS9500
PSU: Silverstone Zeus 750W
Storage: Western Digital Ratpor X 10k RPM 16M Sata WD1500AHFD
Storage: Samsung SH-S182M DVD Burner

What do you guys think?

Yeah, both of you should have fun with your new builds. I just put my 8800GTX in yesterday and it's freaking sweet.

I have a similar setup as the op:

Silverstone TJ09
MSI 7900GTO
Seasonic S12-600W
E6600

I need advise on which mobo+ram to go with. I don't care for OC at all, but I am interested in:
-stability
-reliability (i.e. fewest bios issues)
-feature set
I've narrowed it down to the P5WDH, P5B Deluxe, and the GA965P-DQ6. Should i wait for the RD600 board(s)? Any other models on the near horizon I should be aware of?

I'm not interested in the 680i chipset (been burned by nvidia before) and the Bad Axe 2 (i need more than 4 sata connectors).

Thanks for advice.

MrDisco said:
I'm not interested in the 680i chipset (been burned by nvidia before) and the Bad Axe 2 (i need more than 4 sata connectors).
Errr, the BA2 has eight SATA connectors. The four black ones are a little hard to see from the pics, but they're there.

I think I've got a hint of extra sensory perception as I had placed the order for that system today with Newegg and various other vendors I get this email:

Dear Valued Shopper:

You had recently requested to be notified when the item,
247121: Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680i SLI Socket 775 1333MHz DDR2 - 1000 Motherboard Retail ***Free Shipping*** becomes available again for purchase on ZipZoomFly.com.
This item has indeed come back in stock -- come by and pick it up now!

Did I call it or what? lol Now I just hope I don't regret buying the Bad Axe 2 but somehow I don't think I will.

ohlmsjm said:
Here's the final list that I just submitted today:

Cpu: E6600
Mobo: Intel Bad Axe 2
Memory: 2 GIGS Corsair Twin2x2048-8500C5D
Video: EVGA 8800GTX
Case: Silverstone TJ09 Black (bought 3 additional Scythe 120mm Fans for it)
Cpu cooling: Zalman CNPS9500
PSU: Silverstone Zeus 750W
Storage: Western Digital Ratpor X 10k RPM 16M Sata WD1500AHFD
Storage: Samsung SH-S182M DVD Burner

What do you guys think?
Excellent choices all the way around, I think that system will do you just fine. Might want to get a big SATA drive, say 320GB or more for storage of anything not essential. Don't want to fill up your Raptor. Maybe get an external drive enclosure to put the big drive in so you won't be running the big drive all the time inside the system. That's all else I'd do.

fleggett said:
Errr, the BA2 has eight SATA connectors. The four black ones are a little hard to see from the pics, but they're there.

Hi there. Sorry I was just going by Intel's specs:
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D975XBX2/index.htm

In the chart for peripheral interfaces it says:
"Four Serial ATA interfaces with RAID support (four additional interfaces available with optional discrete RAID controller)"

What exactly is the optional discrete controller :confused: Is that on the board or something extra I have to buy?

qdemn7 said:
Excellent choices all the way around, I think that system will do you just fine. Might want to get a big SATA drive, say 320GB or more for storage of anything not essential. Don't want to fill up your Raptor. Maybe get an external drive enclosure to put the big drive in so you won't be running the big drive all the time inside the system. That's all else I'd do.

OS and necessary apps will sit on the 150g raptor...everything else is going on to my 500TB NAS. :)

The extra 4 sata devices are run from a marvel raid sata chipset. Not sure why it's listed as optional - It's on all of the boards, but can be disabled in the bios.

Back