965 or 1055t

Kuromizu

Gawd
I have to decide in the next hour which CPU to get. I'm about to deliver my old DDR2 ram and run to microcenter for the cpu/mobo combo.

I do some photo editing or video encoding, but not too much. I mostly just game and use the internet on this machine, playing things like FFXIV (beta for now) and TF2. Which would you recommend? budget is important, but I can afford either.

One concern I also have is spending more now and then having bulldozer come out. I'd like to hedge my bets if possible.

Thanks.

Well if you do video encoding the more cores the better. Do you plan on overclocking? If you do then I would definitely get the 1055T because you should be able to reach 3.6Ghz without much of a problem. If you don't plan on overclocking the faster processor speed of the 965 will mean your games will probably run a little faster as most games don't fully utilize six cores yet.

I own a 1055T and I think it is absolutely a phenomenal buy for $200. You also might want to consider getting the 95w OEM version of the chip if you decide to go that route. Its slightly more expensive but it will run cooler and use less power. My vote is for the 1055T.

Last edited:
If you plan on overclocking.....get the 955....i rarely would recommend the 965, since the 955 will hit the same level of overclocking and save you about 20 bucks...

however if you can afford it now, go for the 1055T, and OC the snot out of it(they regularly hit 4.0 on air), though with Bulldozer coming out next year i would honestly say keep what you have if you can wait, if yuo cant go budget and get yourself a inexpensive AM2+ to run with the DDR2 youve got, and a 945.

This whole setup, once my stuff is sold, should only cost me about $120-160. I'm going to microcenter for the cpu-board combo so it's a super cheap upgrade. I would consider waiting, but I already committed to the ram sale.

Oh yeah, they're out of 955s or I totally would get that.

The other option is to get a 555 and try for the unlock.

The 555 is good for gaming as well, and if you OC it, it shouldnt be a bottleneck to that 5850 youve got....i would say get that then, and see what happens with BD, worst case, BD comes out, and early adopters sell off their 1055T's and 1090T's, and you will get one cheap :)

Dont bet on an unlock of the 555. I bought mine at Microcenter and not only will it not boot into Windows while unlocked but I have to reset the CMOS just to get it to the BIOS! It wouldnt even turn on the monitor.

That aside, I was able to get a Prime95 stable 4 GHz overclock relatively easy. For gaming, I picked up a 5-10% gain in framerates over my previous Athlon 2 X3 at 3.4 but I think it would be more if I had a faster GPU. Im getting 42 fps in Crysis with half high / half medium settings up from 39.5 with the Athlon which I think is about max for a 4850.

So while its a great gaming CPU, if you need 4 cores, buy a quad.

Yeah, I would really like to go quad so that, even if there's not a huge difference for me when the processors come out, I'll be fine with my choice for a few years. That being said, the $30 difference between the quad and the x6 is barely anything.

It's almost more of a choice between the 555 and the 1055t

If you can afford the X6 that should be your choice. The X2 is for guys like me that game and build on a budget so Im always looking for the most performance per dollar and at $85, I believe the 555 is the best choice out there but the best proc outright is the 1055.

I'm a budget friendly gamer too man, trust me. Why do you think I'm still on my 4 year old processor? Heck, until a few months ago I was still using an x1900xt!

I don't like to upgrade a lot though, so I may have to roll with the x6 just to stave off another near-future purchase.

I'm a budget friendly gamer too man, trust me. Why do you think I'm still on my 4 year old processor? Heck, until a few months ago I was still using an x1900xt!

I don't like to upgrade a lot though, so I may have to roll with the x6 just to stave off another near-future purchase.

The 1055T's are incredible overclockers, and $200 is one hell of a price for a hex core processor. I recommend that you get this chip, get a good air cooler, and just let it rip and see what you can do with it. The problem with trying to unlock a chip is that there is no garentee.

It is appearing more and more likely that the desktop Bulldozers may not be hitting until mid or even late 2011. Playing the waiting game gets old after a while as something new is always coming out. Besides, come join our folding team over in the DC subforums as those AMD hex cores are fairly productive!

That's what I'll do I think. I just need to find a buyer for my E6600, P5W-DH Deluxe, and Zalman 9500. Spread the word if you know anyone interested please! It would really help me out a lot.

I was just having this problem myself and was going to post this thread. So the consensus is that the 1055t is the way to go?

I was just having this problem myself and was going to post this thread. So the consensus is that the 1055t is the way to go?

Yes. They overclock easy enough and I've never seen a "I wish I didn't have so much extra computing power" thread.

I think you'd be happy with either honestly. My brother is running his unlocked 555 and I can't really feel a difference for normal use. 2 extra cores for $30 is just bonus though. bonus.

955 or 965 are dirt cheap for amazing processors at microcenter. Will you see as much of a difference going from 4 to 6 as you would from 2 to 4 NO! Big time no. Good article on bittech about just this core usage in gaming.

I have an AMD 780G motherboard - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev. 1.1). Link:
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2814.

Are there any technical reasons why the 1055T would be wasted in this slightly older motherboard?

I need a 95w version to get on the supported cpu list for that motherboard. My current cpu is an athlon x2 4200, and according to anandtech, this new motherboard would be much faster (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/37?vs=147).

I use this system for windows 7 media center, and have a vision of some recoding.

-Nick

The only real good reason I see for buying the 1055 from a gaming standpoint is the overclocking ability. The extra 2 cores amount to about nothing in terms of performance gain but these things seem to just be begging to do 4+ GHz and that will help.

it depends on what game...BC2 you will see a performance increase since it actually sclaes all cores

According to the Bit-tech.com feature there is virtually no difference in performance in Bad Company 2 between a dual core and 6 core with an ATI card. With an Nvidia card there is a little difference between a 3 and 6 core but its so small youd never see it in the real world.

The only real good reason I see for buying the 1055 from a gaming standpoint is the overclocking ability. The extra 2 cores amount to about nothing in terms of performance gain but these things seem to just be begging to do 4+ GHz and that will help.

I concur. Plus the extra two cores will help if you tend to have multiple apps running in the background.

@ nicknick
No technical reason AFAIK for you to not get the Phenom II X6 1055T.

Back