950 Pro slow read speeds

kaioshade

n00b
Just got my 950 Pro, and so far, fairly disappointed with it. I installed it a razer blade stealth and triple checked all the cables and connections. the install went fine and have windows 10 loaded, but I am not getting anywhere near the rated speed of this drive. I have the Samsung nvme driver installed and ran some tests. I am only getting about 1700MB/s read and 1500 MB/s write, instead of the rated 2200MB/s that I am supposed to get. Any advice would be appreciated.

Since you're testing your OS drive you're going to get low performance since it's accessed.

Since you're testing your OS drive you're going to get low performance since it's accessed.
That's not entirely true I don't think. (Someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

What are your system specifications?

Correction, lower...
only if its currently being used. I get the near exact same speeds as an OS drive or not. Those are oddly lower. Is he on Gen 2 or half x the lanes? Something is obviously off for those speeds. Whether its background app or settings or something else those are oddly slow.

I have the same problem with a Gigabyte GA-X99P SLI board with a 5930k, 4 x 16GB DDR4 3,000mhz, 980 Ti, and a pcie 1x soundcard, all but 2 sata ports connected but nothing in the sata express port. Am I doing something wrong?

If it's anything to ya I have windows 10 1511 on my system and I bench around 1700 down 1500 up on my Intel 750 400 GB. it is what SSDs do when they are on the OS.

When I installed it as a slave drive in another system it was hitting over 2000 / 1800 or some none sense like that.

I am running a 4.5ghz 3930K so I have GOBS of CPU power. That is not a bottleneck. Well with NVME it may very well be kekeke

Sorry, I forgot to reply. I tried it as a non-os drive and it worked to specs. I ran a 3930k for years until recently when the asus sabertooth x79 died with 4 months of warranty remaining, RMA'd it and tested it in another box, works so it is the new backup rig. Not much difference besides less power usage than 3930k/x79 vs 5930k/x99

You will need to type "defrag" when you click start, yes defrag. Windows 10's trim is broken. I have it set to run once a day but it actually doesn't. a friend of mine had to show me this...

To quote several people, no, those numbers are not normal. I have the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB and I get advertised speeds, sometimes higher.
There are a couple of things. You will need to install the NVME driver from Samsungs website.
and two, the device itself may be getting too hot. If it does, it thermally throttles.

Trying to figure out how to attach a couple of screen shots..
Click on them below..

The drive runs pretty hot.. which I do not like.

You will see two benchmarks, but both show advertised speeds. although a little low on iOPS for some reason..

My motherboard is an ASUS X99-E WS board...

The drive itself is in an M.2 slot, PCIe 3.0 x4 interface.

That's not entirely true I don't think. (Someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

What are your system specifications?

only if its currently being used. I get the near exact same speeds as an OS drive or not. Those are oddly lower. Is he on Gen 2 or half x the lanes? Something is obviously off for those speeds. Whether its background app or settings or something else those are oddly slow.

If it's anything to ya I have windows 10 1511 on my system and I bench around 1700 down 1500 up on my Intel 750 400 GB. it is what SSDs do when they are on the OS.

When I installed it as a slave drive in another system it was hitting over 2000 / 1800 or some none sense like that.

I am running a 4.5ghz 3930K so I have GOBS of CPU power. That is not a bottleneck. Well with NVME it may very well be kekeke

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 21
  • Untitled2.jpg
    797 KB · Views: 24
Back