• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

945GCLF Northbridge fan

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
31,345
Is there any passive replacements anyone would recommend or way to quiet this fan down? I have it in a M350 case and it's far louder than I would have expected.
 
I think the holes are the same as any northbridge heatsink, so provided you have the room, you can get an upgraded northbridge heatsink (maybe even passive, if it's large enough) and use that. Same goes with the Atom's heatsink.
 
The atom heatsink is already passive, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm only using it for a magicjack thin client, but since it's on 24/7, I'd like it to be a little more quiet.
 
Yeah I know it's passive, but I didn't know if it was running too warm or not. I know mine gets a little warm, but I don't want to dump any more money into it, I don't like it much for my application.
 
Maybe two big passive heatsinks and be done with it then?
 
That'd certainly do it, although the one for the Atom might not even be necessary. I'm sure you already know this but the 945 chipset is the only thing on that board that really draws a large amount of power.
 
I ordered the zalman passive chipset cooler. the fan shaped one that works with the loops. i'll let you know how it works out.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Well, I have one of those motherboards, and most of the time the fan is turned off (something about the BIOS code not liking SpeedFan trying to control the fan).

I don't have the slightest problem with it in passive mode, and I have the motherboard on a custom 18x18x18cm plexi cube with only a few small holes on the top (passive exhaust from the motherboard and 3.5'' HDD) and on the front (intake for the ATX PSU, which is more or less isolated from the rest of the case).

Of course, since mine is a low-load server (most of the time it sits there idling or with sub-10% loads), that's not too bad, but it serves as a comparison.

Cheers.

Miguel
 
^^^ Thanks for the insight. I might try just unplugging the fan from the motherboard. I ordered the Zalman, but they told me they were out of stock, blah, blah, so I canceled my order. I just have it running with the fan.

I actually just ordered a regular thin client to take it's place. So I'll probably just sell the board/psu/case.
 
Well, if you connect the fan to the "System" fan header, you'll be able to control it via BIOS (stupid limitation, I tell you... the "CPU" fan header always outputs at 12V... Just silly, if you ask me...).

The fan is actually semi-silent at 50% constant speed (minimum you can set it to via BIOS, and 100% sounds like a jet plane taking off), and it cools everything adequately.

But since you're getting rid of it, I guess it doesn't matter, right?

Cheers.

Miguel
 
Well, I might keep it around as a spare machine for my home office, but I really don't need it. I'm going to give that a try right now though.
 
Back
Top