939 solutions besides shuttle?

JohnleMVP

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 20, 2001
Messages
5,255
I'm interested in putting together a SFF PC like a shuttle for an AMD 939 cpu and some other extra spare parts I have.

My question is there any other barebones systems I should be looking at besides shuttle?

Also of the ST20G5 and the SN25p which is better and why?


My requirements:
939
DDR ram
PCI-e or AGP is fine
SATA or IDE hd is fine
PSU that can handle a 6600GT or 7800gtx
 
You can grab a microATX case and a microATX SFF case from various manufacturers if you wish.
 
Biostar iDEQ series are pretty nifty or a custom machine using silverstone sg01/ultra micro fly and doing it that way. I however having had a shuttle sn25p and the other (aspire x-qpack) and preferred the custom solution
 
I kind of want a cheap solution. The SN25p is about $200 and ST20G5 is less then $200.
 
We'll I just read HardOCP's review of the ST20G5 and they said it sucked. I'm focusing on the the SN95G5 now.
 
if agp/pci-e doesnt matter, the sn95g5 v3 is definitely the most solid of the cheaper shuttles.
 
You are getting a board, case, power supply and heatsink for $200. I would consider that pretty damn cheap! Now buying a new $500-600 Shuttle - that's a ripoff.

Go check out Biostar and AOpen's websites.
 
Yeah the shuttle is definately cheap and thats why I'm considering it. I pretty sure its what I will be going for.
 
Shuttle has some pretty good deals on re-certified S-939 barebones on their Ebay store:

ST20G5 $149
SN95G5 V3 $139
SN25P $199
SN26P $269

I have bought several re-certified Shuttle systems and they were always in excellent condition...

I would highly recommend any of the above models (except for the ST20G5) :p
 
Wow thanks for the link.

What do you think I should get v2 or v3? I don't understand why version 3 is more expensive when it is a NF3 250gb vs v2's NF3 Ultra chipset.

I'm planning on using a X2 3800.
 
JohnleMVP said:
Wow thanks for the link.

What do you think I should get v2 or v3? I don't understand why version 3 is more expensive when it is a NF3 250gb vs v2's NF3 Ultra chipset.

I'm planning on using a X2 3800.
My previous SN95G5 V3 worked great with an X2 3800+

I'm not up to date on the compadibility issues with dual core's and the V2 version...search on SFF tech shuttle forum to be sure.
 
JohnleMVP said:
Wow thanks for the link.

What do you think I should get v2 or v3? I don't understand why version 3 is more expensive when it is a NF3 250gb vs v2's NF3 Ultra chipset.

I'm planning on using a X2 3800.

The NF3 Ultra chipset is specifically for Socket 939. I know it supports X2 CPUs without a doubt. The 250GB was originally intended for socket 754, although I know Giga-byte later released a 939 version of the chipset (maybe only supports 800HTT instead of 1000HTT if I had to guess). Other than that the chipsets are pretty similar. When compared to the NF4, the firewall is different on the chipsets, the SATA controller is only 4 150MB slots, only 8 USBs I believe, and AGP as well obviously.
 
Well I think I'm just going to go with the SN21G5 from newegg. Its $232 shipped and has onboard video and I guess pci-e would be better for the future.
 
JohnleMVP said:
We'll I just read HardOCP's review of the ST20G5 and they said it sucked. I'm focusing on the the SN95G5 now.

[H] used a bad BIOS or something - their review is far from the norm for this system.

Tech Report's review is much more balanced. Still not really "glowing", but a better look at it.
 
Back
Top