• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

939 heatsink that doesn't require a backplate replacement?

dandragonrage

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 5, 2004
Messages
8,295
I want a quiet cooler that doesn't need to replace anything but the heatsink itself. I quite like the stock heatsink retention setup.

PS if there's a name for this that I don't know of, let me know. 'cause I was kind of wondering what I should call it...

If there is nothing decent available, I will replace it, but I don't really want to.
 
TheGamerZ said:
Thermalright XP-90 and XP-90c use the stock s939 backplate.
But not the stock retention mechanism. The AC Freezer64 is just a drop-in replacement, where the XP-90 requires board removal.
 
dandragonrage said:
I want a quiet cooler that doesn't need to replace anything but the heatsink itself. I quite like the stock heatsink retention setup.

Just curious... why do you care what retention mechanism it uses? I mean, assuming it's not just going to fall off, one is much like another.

-Nate
 
A vote in my corner for the AC Freezer64. It's a pain in some cases to situate properly due to it's size and unique fan location - but otherwise a stand up cooler.
 
_Korruption_ said:
But not the stock retention mechanism. The AC Freezer64 is just a drop-in replacement, where the XP-90 requires board removal.

I hope this is not true, To me it looks like you unscreaw the stock retention mechanism and then just put the new Thermalright one in, Anyone know if this is true or not? Or am I going to have to tear down my whole system to just put in the XP-90?
 
Nascar24 said:
I hope this is not true, To me it looks like you unscreaw the stock retention mechanism and then just put the new Thermalright one in, Anyone know if this is true or not? Or am I going to have to tear down my whole system to just put in the XP-90?

We're talking about the Freezer64 not the XP-90 or 120 - which do infact require a different backplate / retension bracket afaik.
 
Lukano said:
We're talking about the Freezer64 not the XP-90 or 120 - which do infact require a different backplate / retension bracket afaik.

Are you positive the motherboard has to be taken out of the case to put the XP-90 in? Seeing what comes with it looks to me like 2 screaws to remove the old retension and put it back in and your done. Dont see anything about a new backplane coming with the XP-90. Looked simple to me.
 
Nascar24 said:
I hope this is not true, To me it looks like you unscreaw the stock retention mechanism and then just put the new Thermalright one in, Anyone know if this is true or not? Or am I going to have to tear down my whole system to just put in the XP-90?
You need to remove the motherboard to install the rear backplate. The AC Freezer64 is just a drop-in affair.
 
_Korruption_ said:
You need to remove the motherboard to install the rear backplate. The AC Freezer64 is just a drop-in affair.

This is disappointing news if true? I dont understand what the need for this is? Why would it need a new backplane? My system is packed to the hill and this will be a major affair if true.
Looking at the pictures at newegg there is no backplane pictured.
 
Wait, somewhat of an oversight on my part. I'm talking about the XP-90C. With it being so heavy, a reinforcing backplate under the motherboard is necessary to handle the added weight. I'm not sure if the XP-90 needs it or not, but I do know for a fact that it uses the P4-style retention mechanism. I think you may be able to get away without board removal with the regular XP-90, but don't quote me on that.

Thermalright has the complete instructions online.
 
Neither the XP-90 nor XP-90C require a new backplate. They both require a new retention bracket, but if your mobo manufacturer put a little adhesive on the backplate then you can swap out that bracket without removing the motherboard from the case. It's just a matter of removing 2 bolts, pulling out the bracket, then bolting the new bracket in using the supplied replacement bolts. On my mobo (msi k8n neo2 platinum) the backplate is loosely held in place by some doublesided tape so doing this is easy. The only way to tell is to give a shot and see if the backplate falls off after removing the bracket. I suspect it will work just fine for 99% of the mobos out there since most use some sort of sticky insulator tape between the backplate and mobo.

As for the extra weight of the XP-90C... It's just not a problem. I have both an XP-90 and XP-90C and they both arrived with IDENTICAL brackets and did not even include an AMD backplate because the stock AMD backplates are more than strong enough. An intel cpu needs a new backplate to use either the XP-90 or XP-90C, but not AMD socket 939.
 
flenser said:
Neither the XP-90 nor XP-90C require a new backplate. They both require a new retention bracket, but if your mobo manufacturer put a little adhesive on the backplate then you can swap out that bracket without removing the motherboard from the case. It's just a matter of removing 2 bolts, pulling out the bracket, then bolting the new bracket in using the supplied replacement bolts. On my mobo (msi k8n neo2 platinum) the backplate is loosely held in place by some doublesided tape so doing this is easy. The only way to tell is to give a shot and see if the backplate falls off after removing the bracket. I suspect it will work just fine for 99% of the mobos out there since most use some sort of sticky insulator tape between the backplate and mobo.

As for the extra weight of the XP-90C... It's just not a problem. I have both an XP-90 and XP-90C and they both arrived with IDENTICAL brackets and did not even include an AMD backplate because the stock AMD backplates are more than strong enough. An intel cpu needs a new backplate to use either the XP-90 or XP-90C, but not AMD socket 939.


This is good news as I was not looking forward to doing a full teardown of my S939 motherboard, I understand what your saying about the backplane, And from reading it appears it is stuck in place on most motherboards. Sigh of relief :) , Would be a totale waste of a lot of time just to put a new heat sink in.

On a side note is the retention bracket on most motherboards glued down as well and how easy are they to remove without heating it up or without nail polish remover as I have neither at the moment and would like to know if anyone who has done this thinks it is really required?
 
flenser said:
Neither the XP-90 nor XP-90C require a new backplate. They both require a new retention bracket, but if your mobo manufacturer put a little adhesive on the backplate then you can swap out that bracket without removing the motherboard from the case. It's just a matter of removing 2 bolts, pulling out the bracket, then bolting the new bracket in using the supplied replacement bolts. On my mobo (msi k8n neo2 platinum) the backplate is loosely held in place by some doublesided tape so doing this is easy. The only way to tell is to give a shot and see if the backplate falls off after removing the bracket. I suspect it will work just fine for 99% of the mobos out there since most use some sort of sticky insulator tape between the backplate and mobo.

As for the extra weight of the XP-90C... It's just not a problem. I have both an XP-90 and XP-90C and they both arrived with IDENTICAL brackets and did not even include an AMD backplate because the stock AMD backplates are more than strong enough. An intel cpu needs a new backplate to use either the XP-90 or XP-90C, but not AMD socket 939.


Agreed: I have a DFI Nforce 4 which I installed my XP90C on... I did not have to move the motherboard as the stock backplate on the DFI is secured in place by two hollow plastic cylinders which go through the MB holes.
 
The backplane on my motherboard came off, but if I had been more careful, it probably would have been just fine. It is a bitch if you have the motherboard already installed, but if you're careful, you can do it without having to get at the back of the motherboard.

-Nate

 
Nate Finch said:
The backplane on my motherboard came off, but if I had been more careful, it probably would have been just fine. It is a bitch if you have the motherboard already installed, but if you're careful, you can do it without having to get at the back of the motherboard.

-Nate


Exactly, lay the case flat, don't try to mount it while it is vertical... But the real factor is how much distance your standoffs are creating... MY v2100's screw-in standoffs are only mm or 2 longer than the backplate is thick, so it really has nowhere to go...
 
Well installed my new XP-90 today and while it lowered the temps about 5c I believe my probe on the motherboard is misreading to a point now as Im still ideling at about 56c. Before the XP-90 I was ideling about 61 to 62c according to the heat probe. I feel I should have got a more powerful fan though and wished I would have went with the pana fan instead as it produced more airflow. Ah well, Im thinking its fine as I had no problems before. Just wished it would have lowered the temps more.
BTW install was a breeze. Everying came in and out without a problem in my case and no need to remove the motherboard out of the case.
 
Well,
I would have to say im dissapointed as after several hours of my PC being on with my new XP-90 Im thinking I just wasted $50 as Im Idleing again at a very steady 60c. I dont think the probe is worth a crap for reading temps on this board. I find it hard to belive that going from a cheapo Heatsink and fan and going to the XP-90 with artic silver are giving me the exact same high reading. :mad: I guess I will just not worry about it as it has been running at this same temp since being built 6 months ago with zero lockups or shutdowns.
 
dandragonrage said:
You probably need some case fans.

Well,
I do have a couple of case fans in there, Not very high power but I got one facing in and one facing out, I think my case reading is going to be high as well becasue I have it packed as full as it goes, 4 hard drives,4 optical drives, a heat producing high end video card (X800pro) and several pci cards and a HDTV card, Theres no doubt its going to run Hot I guess unless I leave the case open, Ah well, its running fine at this temp and even at 70c under load so unless I start getting lockups or something I cant worry about it.
 
my vote goes with the thermal take silent boost K8 :) i know, im about to be bashed by TT haters but considering i get a max of like 45load or something with it, im not complaing 1 bit...

(3000+ s939 @ 2.5)
 
0mega said:
my vote goes with the thermal take silent boost K8 :) i know, im about to be bashed by TT haters but considering i get a max of like 45load or something with it, im not complaing 1 bit...

(3000+ s939 @ 2.5)


I dont think going to any other heatsink is going to make a difference, XP-90 gets great reviews just about everywhere, I think I could put a loud fan on it and probably lower it a few points but I dont think anything earth shattering. Im just running an oven I guess with all the hardware I have running in this thing.
 
He doesn't wanna take the rentention thing off because it will void his motherboards warrenty most likely, although if something happened to the board he could just put the old rentention thing back on.
 
_Korruption_ said:
Nascar24, your sensors are probably borked.


Yea,
That would be my best guess, Kind of sucks as I was thinking of OC'ing it a bit after I got this heatsink but with not knowing the correct temps Im thinking it wouldnt be wise.
 
Nascar did you follow the thermal paste instructions exactly? I found that even just "a little" too much paste could result in temps about 5C high. Also, remember AS5 will work a lot better over time.

60c idle is too high especially for an XP90 so I bet either the installation is borked or the sensor is wrong. It reached over 90F in my room today and my XP90C with a quiet fan never broke 54C at full load. My regular XP90 was only 2C warmer than the XP90C.
 
flenser said:
Nascar did you follow the thermal paste instructions exactly? I found that even just "a little" too much paste could result in temps about 5C high. Also, remember AS5 will work a lot better over time.

60c idle is too high especially for an XP90 so I bet either the installation is borked or the sensor is wrong. It reached over 90F in my room today and my XP90C with a quiet fan never broke 54C at full load. My regular XP90 was only 2C warmer than the XP90C.

Yea,
I made sure to goto artic silvers website and follow their instructions and as I find out I had way way to much grease on my first install of my cheap heatsink and fan. Only put a small dab on there as they stated. Also cleaned it off good, Yea I read that it takes 200 hours to get the full cooling potential out of the AS5. So there maybe still hope for it to get cooler over time. I have to believe my Heat sensor is reading high though. As far as it getting better today my computer is idleing at 58c so thats at least a small improvement from yesterday and slightly better then my cheap heatsink, But I dont know that I can trust the temps on this thing at this point. I expected more like a 10c drop in temp with the XP-90. Still wish I would have went with the pana fan as it did 43cfm at I believe 2100rpm as the one I got was a Nexus at 27cfm at only 1500rpm, My Asus mother board doesnt like that it is only running at 1500rpm so I had to disable the cpu fan error in the Bios. Although it does at least as good as the cpu fan that was in there before.
 
Nascar24 said:
Are you positive the motherboard has to be taken out of the case to put the XP-90 in? Seeing what comes with it looks to me like 2 screaws to remove the old retension and put it back in and your done. Dont see anything about a new backplane coming with the XP-90. Looked simple to me.

You do NOT need to do anything except replace the plastic retention unit for the XP-90. It's a 5 min install tops and one great cooler. My 3200 winni @ 2.55 runs at 30c or less at 100% load in a room that is typicaly 72f.
 
Nascar24 said:
I dont think going to any other heatsink is going to make a difference, XP-90 gets great reviews just about everywhere, I think I could put a loud fan on it and probably lower it a few points but I dont think anything earth shattering. Im just running an oven I guess with all the hardware I have running in this thing.


Try this fan:

http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-silent-cat-92mm-fan.html

I now have 3 XP-90s in combo with that fan. Dead quiet and lots of air flow. Have you checked your bios for the latest version? 64s have had some heat probe reading issues on most boards. MSI finally got theirs fixed with bios 1.8.

Luck
 
BillR said:
Try this fan:

http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-silent-cat-92mm-fan.html

I now have 3 XP-90s in combo with that fan. Dead quiet and lots of air flow. Have you checked your bios for the latest version? 64s have had some heat probe reading issues on most boards. MSI finally got theirs fixed with bios 1.8.

Luck

Thanks for the Link to this fan, Only about 1.8dbs louder than the one I got but almost double the airflow, Ordered one of these up to see if it gives me anymore cooling, Im not holding my breath that its going to be any more than 2c or 3c but I figured for another $13 shipped why not. Im still thinking my Motherboard sensor is borked or mis-reading but who knows, Yea I have the latest beta bois installed on my Asus A8V deluxe.
 
If you have a giga-byte k8 motherboard you will need a new back plate for the xp series. Copy/paste from thermalright page...

"Unlike other motherboard makers, Gigabyte uses a customized plastic motherboard backplate for its K8 motherboards, which is not compatible with XP-90 K8 retention bracket. Users need to remove it and replace it with a standard metal backplate before installation of Thermalright XP series heatsink. For more information regarding AMD K8 backplate please see Athlon64 processor thermal design guide (Fig. 5 & 6). And the metal backplate is also available from Thermalright here."

I learned that the day I got my xp90c and didn't feel like waiting. So I used the stock backplate and got longer screws and nuts.
 
bandit390 said:
If you have a giga-byte k8 motherboard you will need a new back plate for the xp series. Copy/paste from thermalright page...

"Unlike other motherboard makers, Gigabyte uses a customized plastic motherboard backplate for its K8 motherboards, which is not compatible with XP-90 K8 retention bracket. Users need to remove it and replace it with a standard metal backplate before installation of Thermalright XP series heatsink. For more information regarding AMD K8 backplate please see Athlon64 processor thermal design guide (Fig. 5 & 6). And the metal backplate is also available from Thermalright here."

I learned that the day I got my xp90c and didn't feel like waiting. So I used the stock backplate and got longer screws and nuts.


got any pictures of thsoe screws? wait..didnt I ask you this before? I wanna see how you got the thermalright on there without the backplate hehe.
 
I am using the stock backplate. The problem is the stock backplate does not have any threads for the screws to go in and the stock screws are a little to short to stick a nut on the back. I used the same stock backplate and bought longer screws that I could put nuts on.
 
_Korruption_ said:
Avoid Thermaltake fans because their noise and CFM ratings are very misleading.

Ouch! Now you tell me lol :)
Ah Well, I guess we will see when I get it as They have allready sent me a tracking number, My guess is I will have it at the end of the week, We will see, Dont much like having to turn off my RPM monitor in the Bios since my Nexus fan only runs at 1500rpm. Im also hoping nothing happened to my cpu after a BIOS update a few days ago as for some reason on first bootup after the bios upgrade all settings were wrong and most troubling was the V core was going between 1.79 and 1.80. Have no idea why that happened as all my settings were set to stock before the Bios update. I changed it to the correct HT and rebooted and everything came back up normal, Was a bit worried though that it could have done something to my CPU. But all has been running fine since then. On a side note as well I believe my Artic silver 5 is working now as my temps have come down about 7c but Im still supposedly idling at 53c, I guess its better thean 60c :)
 
Well,
I got the ThermalTake Fan that was stated in this thread and it seems good to me, I cant say how much CFM airflow it is giving other than it is giving alot more than the 1500RPM Nexus fan I first bought. The SIlent ThermalTake fan is running about 2350RPM and is as quiet as the lower RPM Nexus I bought. So over all I am happy with it. It knocked my idle temps down about 3c more which I figured would be the case, I am now idling at 50c where as before I was idling at 60c. So it does appear to help and looks like I may be clear of the max temp of 70c I was hitting under load, Havent done any underload test yet with the new fan.
 
Back
Top