92.1 Radiator Enough?

A T-line will give you an even faster visual "clue" about a leak. The whole point of a reservoir in any system is to make the system less sensitive to fluid volume fluctuations. With a T-line, you'll see the height in the T-line dropping a lot faster than in a reservoir - as long as you can see the T-line.

nonlnear said:
A T-line will give you an even faster visual "clue" about a leak. The whole point of a reservoir in any system is to make the system less sensitive to fluid volume fluctuations. With a T-line, you'll see the height in the T-line dropping a lot faster than in a reservoir - as long as you can see the T-line.

Well, I don't imagine I'm going to have any way of seeing the T-Line - case will be a YY-0221 sitting on the bottom shelf of my desk, so even if there were windows I wouldn't be able to see 'em.

Slartibartfast said:
Well, I don't imagine I'm going to have any way of seeing the T-Line - case will be a YY-0221 sitting on the bottom shelf of my desk, so even if there were windows I wouldn't be able to see 'em.

Fair enough. In that case a bay reservoir will definitely give you better visual feedback of leaks. OTOH, if you think leaks are likely enough that they influence your parts choice you should probably rethink watercooling! :eek: But seriously, good luck with your build.

OK so here's another question... I just ordered a BIP 2, which is listed as having capacity of
720KCal per hour (2856 BTU per hour). After carefully plotting the install of the system, I have determined there is no reasonable manner in which I could install the 2x120 monstrosity internally to my Centurion 5 case. I definitely want to stay internal to keep the noise down, and since the computer is in the already cool basement of my house, I don't need absolute max cooling - the room never breaks 75 degrees even.

After re-evaluating what I actually need, it appears that a better fit would be the BIP Xtreme 120, which is listed with a capacity of (3134BTU per hour) or 919Wh.

Is it really true that the 1x120 BIP Xtreme has 10% more cooling ability than the BIP 2 X-flow? If so, would the BIP-X be able to cool both a GPU & CPU (no NB)?

At the end of the day I want to go for 2.5-2.7GHz on my 3800+ and maybe a mild OC on the already boosted 7900GT KO, but mainly keep it quiet as well - the stock GPU fan is loud as hell. Cool n Quiet keeps the CPU pretty silent for now, but ideally I want them both under WC.

So I guess the basic question is: what is the smallest rad available that will effectively cool both the GPU and CPU for the machine in my sig?

Slartibartfast said:

i would love to see someone fit this case on the bottom shelf of there desk, lol. i think your underestamateing the sheer size of this box, there is one other problem with it other than its size however the case is split down the middle by the mobo tray at about 65/35% with the smaller half on the mobo side the tightest radius i could get have in tygon to bend still landed the tygon about an inch out side the door of the case on the part of the loop that went to the vid card, naturally better desgined blocks have fixed this problem now i just have to buy them. but this is one sturdy ass case bone stock with nothing installed it weighs about 30 pounds (13.5kg if your funny like that)with all of my w/c gear 6 hd's and every thing listed in my sig it tops 85 pounds easy, there are no rivits every thing is spot welded so the case dose not rack in any one direction.

seconed question, i beleave most people that buy 120.2 rads mount them externally, usually hanging them off the back but some bottom mount... as for the difference between the extream and the .2 yeah its possible, bigger (more powerfull) fan or better shroud and thicker core will get you there, run what works. a 120.1 is more than enought to cool cpu gpu and nb and still maintain a mild oc on the cpu and gpu as this is exactly what im doing with an orriginal BIE that i bought 4 years ago

now then.. on to the pics

Picture021.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture022.jpg

this is befor i had a chance to mount the fill port... this case is a pain in the ass to fill takes about an hour to put 1/4 gal of water into it... but this is about the only way to make every thing fit in the case.

Thanks for the pics, thore.

In terms of rad placement I'm still talking with the guy off and on, so we'll see what happens. I finally decided against using my TJ07, because even if I mounted the rad down in the bottom, there would be only a few millimeters between it and the psu. The psu is extra long (23cm), too, so there's not much space.

I've actually been re-thinking the bay res. I think it would look cool, but the more I think about it, the more it seems that a t-line will be easier to fill/work with. Do you think it would be worth attaching a fillport as well?

Slartibartfast said:
Thanks for the pics, thore.

In terms of rad placement I'm still talking with the guy off and on, so we'll see what happens. I finally decided against using my TJ07, because even if I mounted the rad down in the bottom, there would be only a few millimeters between it and the psu. The psu is extra long (23cm), too, so there's not much space.

I've actually been re-thinking the bay res. I think it would look cool, but the more I think about it, the more it seems that a t-line will be easier to fill/work with. Do you think it would be worth attaching a fillport as well?

yes and no, on this case you really need 2 fill ports, one for filling one for draining.. regardless if you go with a t-line you need some way to can the top of the line, so even if you dont mount the fill port, it would still be good to have one to plug the top of the line.if there was some way to have both a bay res and a t-line that would probably be best but i couldnt think of a way to do it on this case.

thore

thore said:
yes and no, on this case you really need 2 fill ports, one for filling one for draining.. regardless if you go with a t-line you need some way to can the top of the line, so even if you dont mount the fill port, it would still be good to have one to plug the top of the line.if there was some way to have both a bay res and a t-line that would probably be best but i couldnt think of a way to do it on this case.

thore

What exactly do you mean by "can the top of the line?" I guess I had just assumed that a t-line would have a built-in valve/plug of sorts. For a drain, would I just want a second t-line down near the bottom of the loop? I don't think I understand how t-lines/fillports work, exactly.

I also wanted to ask about tubing - it seems like a lot of people are recommending using the masterkleer 7/16" in a 1/2" system. Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?

Slartibartfast said:
What exactly do you mean by "can the top of the line?" I guess I had just assumed that a t-line would have a built-in valve/plug of sorts. For a drain, would I just want a second t-line down near the bottom of the loop? I don't think I understand how t-lines/fillports work, exactly.

I also wanted to ask about tubing - it seems like a lot of people are recommending using the masterkleer 7/16" in a 1/2" system. Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?

well, a fill line is just that a extra piece of line that comes off a T its just an extra piece of hose nothing more, so yeah you want to plug it some how..

as for the masterkleer, i dont know for shure but i think its rebadged tygon (but dont quote me on that) if it isn't im shure someone will chime in. regardless, tygon or not its going to be better than tygon if it isnt the same, which is only a good thing. If some of the people that have been around the W/C scene for awhile are reccomending it, then chances are it isnt bad stuff... (you know how this place works... we dont support it if its pure crap.. ;) )

so whats parts have you decided on thus far and more so have you nailed down you case yet? I know you had some ideas just wondering if you got any further with it.

thore

thore said:
well, a fill line is just that a extra piece of line that comes off a T its just an extra piece of hose nothing more, so yeah you want to plug it some how..

as for the masterkleer, i dont know for shure but i think its rebadged tygon (but dont quote me on that) if it isn't im shure someone will chime in. regardless, tygon or not its going to be better than tygon if it isnt the same, which is only a good thing. If some of the people that have been around the W/C scene for awhile are reccomending it, then chances are it isnt bad stuff... (you know how this place works... we dont support it if its pure crap.. ;) )

so whats parts have you decided on thus far and more so have you nailed down you case yet? I know you had some ideas just wondering if you got any further with it.

thore

I've actually read that with the 7/16" Masterkleer you don't need clamps, but I'm going to get clamps anyway :)

For parts I'm envisioning as of now:

The above tubing (so everything else will be 1/2" ID)
Thermochill PA 120.2 (fans to be decided whenever, probably get something in the 70cfm range)
2x TDX cpu blocks
DD MAG II LE pump
haven't decided on clamps yet
Most likely all in a YY-0221 case.
Not 100% on fluid yet, Pentosin seems to be a popular additive these days so I might go that route.
I'm currently leaning towards a t-line w/ fillport, then another one for draining. Have done zero t-line research so far though.

...And that's pretty much it. I like the size of the pump and the fact that I wouldn't need to drill any holes to mount it. I want to get the larger rad for now so that I can use it later on if I decide to add a gpu (or two) to the loop.

How's it look?

Slartibartfast said:
I've actually read that with the 7/16" Masterkleer you don't need clamps, but I'm going to get clamps anyway :)

For parts I'm envisioning as of now:

The above tubing (so everything else will be 1/2" ID)
Thermochill PA 120.2 (fans to be decided whenever, probably get something in the 70cfm range)
2x TDX cpu blocks
DD MAG II LE pump
haven't decided on clamps yet
Most likely all in a YY-0221 case.
Not 100% on fluid yet, Pentosin seems to be a popular additive these days so I might go that route.
I'm currently leaning towards a t-line w/ fillport, then another one for draining. Have done zero t-line research so far though.

...And that's pretty much it. I like the size of the pump and the fact that I wouldn't need to drill any holes to mount it. I want to get the larger rad for now so that I can use it later on if I decide to add a gpu (or two) to the loop.

How's it look?

looks good, just keep in mind that you will mostlikly be extrenally mounting the 120.2 there are some ways around it, if you dont use the hd mounts and use drive rails to front mount your hds, it might fit on the inside of the case but im not totally sure, however on my case the fan holes are only 80mm so you will run into a air flow problem.

also i removed the card support cage on the mobo side to give me a place to mount pump this was the best place to mount my pump because of its size, yours i beleave is a littel smaller in foot print so you may have other options... and i didnt have to drill any hole with mine its mounted to some mother board standoff holes that where conviently located :D

you wil hate the stock 90mm fan that comes with it on the mobo side... buy a new (quieter) one... it had crappy sleave bearings or something... also, the stock 80's that came on the drive side where to weak to cool all of my drives when i started doing backups... you might want to get new ones there too, and go ahead and get your self a fan controller for them while your at it...( im useing an aerogate 3, its... ok... at best... but it dose its job and will probably be replaces in the next batch order i do... from the way the websight read it sounded like the thermal sensors where capable of being linked to the fan speed, but not the case) you might have to play with a few till you find one you like, or ask for opinions in a new thread or something...

i know they have made a few changes to the case sence i got mine but im not sure what. ill go look at it real quick and see whats up

thore

thore said:
looks good, just keep in mind that you will mostlikly be extrenally mounting the 120.2 there are some ways around it, if you dont use the hd mounts and use drive rails to front mount your hds, it might fit on the inside of the case but im not totally sure, however on my case the fan holes are only 80mm so you will run into a air flow problem.

Yeah I was imagining off the back of the case - however, I thought that those two fans by the hd racks were 92mm - I'm positive that I read that somewhere. I think we'll probably have the rad attached to the back of the case w/ the fans attached to the inside.

thore said:
also i removed the card support cage on the mobo side to give me a place to mount pump this was the best place to mount my pump because of its size, yours i beleave is a littel smaller in foot print so you may have other options... and i didnt have to drill any hole with mine its mounted to some mother board standoff holes that where conviently located :D

Yeah, I know this pump is pretty small. There isn't going to be any room for me to use those standoff holes because my mobo is full EATX - 12"x13".

thore said:
you wil hate the stock 90mm fan that comes with it on the mobo side... buy a new (quieter) one... it had crappy sleave bearings or something... also, the stock 80's that came on the drive side where to weak to cool all of my drives when i started doing backups... you might want to get new ones there too, and go ahead and get your self a fan controller for them while your at it...( im useing an aerogate 3, its... ok... at best... but it dose its job and will probably be replaces in the next batch order i do... from the way the websight read it sounded like the thermal sensors where capable of being linked to the fan speed, but not the case) you might have to play with a few till you find one you like, or ask for opinions in a new thread or something...

Fortunately I'm not very sensitive to noise (my last case had six 80mm case fans and sounded like it was about to lift off the ground). Thanks for the heads-up though, I'll look around for some more powerful fans. I have a few nice 92mm panaflo's already so that's not an issue.

thore said:
i know they have made a few changes to the case sence i got mine but im not sure what. ill go look at it real quick and see whats up

thore

I know I've seen versions that don't have that intake fan on the side panel near the cpu's. I wish more people carried YY cases, they're a PITA to find.

Here, according to Directron those exhaust fans on the back are 92mm. The YY website agrees.

Slartibartfast said:
I know I've seen versions that don't have that intake fan on the side panel near the cpu's. I wish more people carried YY cases, they're a PITA to find.

Here, according to Directron those exhaust fans on the back are 92mm. The YY website agrees.

yeah like i said they made a few changes to the case.. lol. mine are 80's for shure though

and i beleave i got mine at a yahoo store, cost me close to 350 to get it if im not mistaken (shipping to hawaii is very expensive, more so for something that large)

thore

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed that I spent $350 on the silverstone case, it's been nothing but dissapointing, imo. I'll probably see if I can sell it on craigslist or something. I don't have the box anymore so I really won't be able to ship it out.

Back