8TB WD Elements external HD $125

I have a NAS with (4) 4TB reds that is 80% full, bad thing is the NAS is lass than a year old so maybe I need 12's or 14's

I have a NAS with (4) 4TB reds that is 80% full, bad thing is the NAS is lass than a year old so maybe I need 12's or 14's
I haven't seen 14s yet, but 12s will run you a pretty penny. :eek:

Reactions: Joust
like this
Toshiba even has their 16TB out, but the stock is really limited.

WD hasn't released their 14TB yet but seagate ironwolf has been out awhile link

But yes, anything over 10TB is quite expensive

Indeed. I've found that these promotions - primarily from WD externals with white label WD Red-equivalents or HGST equivalents (some versions better than others) in 8TB and 10TB are our best options for value. Even these drives at 8 / 10, were they purchased 'as intended' WD Red/Gold or HGST would cost a fortune compared to the sale-priced externals being 'shucked' by the technically adept. There will come a time when larger drives are included in these sorts of external deals, but given the few years it took between learning of the 8's viability and the arrival of 10s, it probably will take a little time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Was about to grab an Easystore then saw this at same price. Elements the better choice? Did some searching and seems to be conflicting opinions.

Was about to grab an Easystore then saw this at same price. Elements the better choice? Did some searching and seems to be conflicting opinions.
AFAIK, the only real difference is that the Easystore enclosure can be reused with a different drive...whereas the Elements enclosure uses some sort of mounting system that is specific to the drive it comes with and can't be reused. Otherwise, the same exact white label hard drives come in them.

I've read around on reddit that the Elements enclosure can be used with other drives as long as you're fine with cutting up some of the rubber inside.

I've read around on reddit that the Elements enclosure can be used with other drives as long as you're fine with cutting up some of the rubber inside.

Even if you could, why would you want to? I believe that this enclosure utilizes encryption, meaning once you've written data to the drive in this enclosure, that data can only be read via the enclosure, you can't just pull your drive and read it elsewhere. Someone correct me if that's wrong, but it so, I wouldn't want anything to do with it when empty enclosures can be purchased on the cheap.

In that case, that sucks.

Yep, the enclosures for these are worthless for anything but a potential future RMA, IMO. These are phenomenal drives for shucking and throwing into a NAS though. I already have five of them (from mybooks, easystores, and elements... all the same white label drive), and though none were difficult, Elements are definitely the quickest and easiest to shuck. I really regret not picking up another at this price... hopefully they go on sale again before my UnRaid server fills up.

Ordered one. One last order from Newegg before they start charging sales tax on July 1st.

NewEgg (via e-mail) offered both me and my cousin each a one-time 10% off coupon on our next purchases AND a free year of their "Premium" service when they switched to taxing us here in Virginia a couple of weeks ago...

Viper87227 I have a few red label 8s and white label 10s if you need them.

I definitely don't "need" them. The reality is, your drives are likely worth more to someone else than they are to me. The 10's I can't use, my UnRaid parity drives are 8's and I'm not looking to change that. The 8TB reds I could certainly use, but as I have no aversion to shucking I wouldn't pay more for a red than I could get a shuckable white for. I know they are worth more, just not to me... If your looking to dump them for a deal though, feel free to shoot me a PM with your price.

Last edited:
Back