• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8tb Server for < $450

MrSmegzabush

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
434
A few weeks back I built mom a new computer and got her old one back from her. It is in a slim micro ATX case that holds one drive. I was looking at it in the closet a few days ago and though, I wonder If I could make this into a cheap ass home server. So I put together this lil video on the youtubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7mYcZ7L5nk&feature=channel_video_title

I am using an X2 Kuma w/ Foxconn board in here, but ideally I would use a ITX lower power board in there to cut power and heat. Another thing, i just threw some old 320gb - 250gb drives in there just to see how hot it would get, obviously one would use 2tb or 3tb drives, but this exercise was just to see if I could squeeze them in there.

Rosewill R379-M - $44
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB - x4 - $280
ASRock E350M1 AMD E-350 APU - $99
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 - $16

$440.93 + Shipping
 
Cool. Or maybe hot. Temps didn't rise at idle, of course. But load temps on those drives would probably not be healthy.

Also. "Sate ah"?

Its "sat ah" :p
 
I hope with that many drives you intend to RAID them, right?
 
Ya I am kind of worried about the temps a bit when I get and OS and all loaded on there, I just built it this afternoon before I had to go to work. I'm proably goin to mount a 120mm fan on the side grate to get the a little more air into the case. Once I WHS or Win7, ill throw on Disk Sentinal to see what kind of temps im looking at.

I might even keep it myself, and use it as a backup box and only run it once a month.
 
Also. "Sate ah"?

Its "sat ah" :p

It's actually whatever you want it to be, as A) It's not a real word, and B) There's different ways to pronounce a word. I say "sate ah". Deal with it :D

Interesting looking build. I too worry a tad about temperatures, but if you did some serious wiring clean up and threw some low power drives in there along with a low power CPU, it might not be so bad. It would be interesting to see regardless.
 
Uh, off topic but what kind of dog is Spencer? I have a dog that looks very similar and don't know what kind she is. I know she's part miniature Schnauzer... mixed with?
 
Uh, off topic but what kind of dog is Spencer? I have a dog that looks very similar and don't know what kind she is. I know she's part miniature Schnauzer... mixed with?


Full blown mini schnauzer, great dog for a condo.
 
Back
Top