8tb Server for < $450

MrSmegzabush

Limp Gawd
A few weeks back I built mom a new computer and got her old one back from her. It is in a slim micro ATX case that holds one drive. I was looking at it in the closet a few days ago and though, I wonder If I could make this into a cheap ass home server. So I put together this lil video on the youtubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7mYcZ7L5nk&feature=channel_video_title

I am using an X2 Kuma w/ Foxconn board in here, but ideally I would use a ITX lower power board in there to cut power and heat. Another thing, i just threw some old 320gb - 250gb drives in there just to see how hot it would get, obviously one would use 2tb or 3tb drives, but this exercise was just to see if I could squeeze them in there.

Rosewill R379-M - $44
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB - x4 - $280
ASRock E350M1 AMD E-350 APU - $99
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 - $16

$440.93 + Shipping

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
Cool. Or maybe hot. Temps didn't rise at idle, of course. But load temps on those drives would probably not be healthy.

Also. "Sate ah"?

Its "sat ah" :p

MrSmegzabush

Limp Gawd
Ya I am kind of worried about the temps a bit when I get and OS and all loaded on there, I just built it this afternoon before I had to go to work. I'm proably goin to mount a 120mm fan on the side grate to get the a little more air into the case. Once I WHS or Win7, ill throw on Disk Sentinal to see what kind of temps im looking at.

I might even keep it myself, and use it as a backup box and only run it once a month.

Jesse B

[H]ard|Gawd
Also. "Sate ah"?

Its "sat ah" :p
It's actually whatever you want it to be, as A) It's not a real word, and B) There's different ways to pronounce a word. I say "sate ah". Deal with it :D

Interesting looking build. I too worry a tad about temperatures, but if you did some serious wiring clean up and threw some low power drives in there along with a low power CPU, it might not be so bad. It would be interesting to see regardless.

HORNO

Weaksauce
Uh, off topic but what kind of dog is Spencer? I have a dog that looks very similar and don't know what kind she is. I know she's part miniature Schnauzer... mixed with?

MrSmegzabush

Limp Gawd
Uh, off topic but what kind of dog is Spencer? I have a dog that looks very similar and don't know what kind she is. I know she's part miniature Schnauzer... mixed with?

Full blown mini schnauzer, great dog for a condo.