8K Videos Now On YouTube

HardOCP News

[H] News
While YouTube has had the option to upload 8K video for a while now, this looks like the first video to actually be 8K. You might want to use Chrome, IE didn't handle the video well at all. Thanks to cageymaru for the link.

Lol.

Maybe now they will finally look good scaled down to 1080p so that we won't notice the poor nitrate as much :p

I'm still seeing banding and compression artifacts lol Let me give you 8k with the compression to watch it through a 56k dial up modem.

What's with the dumb leap frog garbage. I guess let's confound the standard so it fails.

Youtube - winning the epeen waving race to meaninglessly high streaming video resolutions every single day.

Note that it was not actually shot in 8K:

"Filmed on the RED Epic Dragon 6K in Portrait orientation and then stitched together in Adobe After Effects. Some shots simply scaled up by 125% from 6.1K to meet the 7.6K standard."

At least it's there for testing. Has a chance of eventually becoming as iconic as Lenna.

Gee wizzzze.

Blurred background really shows off ultra high res video doesn't it?

Years back the first 1080P video I watch was on a rear projection set owned by my boss.
There was almost NO 1080p content available but if you paid a premium you could get a satellite dish channel that had SOME content in 1080p. And it was all short videos and demos.
Rewind a decade before that is when I blew everyone's mind when I hooked up a laser disc player to the store's video distribution system. There 30 minutes of "high def" video played in a loop from a CAV disk.
I still have the same opinion. It is all in the eye of the beholder. There are a lot of people that can't tell the difference between a DVD and Blu-Ray. They can't see it, they don't care, whatever.
It is why these standards a have been so slow in taking hold. It is the same with 3D video. There are portion of the population that find it thrilling; but still a large portion that can't see it, don't like it, and finds it distracting and prefers 2D. :rolleyes:

How much would an 8K camera even cost? RED is probably the only company that makes one and it probably costs a good chunk of what I paid for my house!

I'm sure it sounded good on paper, but not so much in practice.

What will new resolutions be by the time we actually get affordable bandwidth to make 8K streaming feasible (even at reasonable compression rates) 16K, 32K? It's maddening. And I'm no sure I want to be able to pick out every flaw in an actor's complexion or makeup (prosthetic makeup failures anyone?).

Yup. The house was only 155K.

Wow, must be nice to live somewhere where housing is that affordable.

Around here, the cheapest, crappiest little hole in the wall is too expensive unless tyou are a borderline millionaire.

Before I got divorced we owned a condo in half of a duplex 20min outside of Boston.

Half of something like this:

14186761984_a301902f16.jpg

The cost? $440k :(

I've pretty much come to the conlcusion that I will never be able to afford a house again, unless I live somewhere far away from family and where there is work in my field.

I'm in the south suburbs of Chicago. Waiting on a call back about that equity loan so I can get that camera w/ a few accessories :D

Are there any 8k monitors to even view this at full resolution? At best I can see someone using a 4-5k monitor and it would still look beautiful.

what kind of gpu do you need?

I can't even play 4k videos smoothly. None of the browsers works well for me.
If I download, media player classic does the best job, but that's not saying much

Does 4k even have any manner of real market saturation?

Didn't think so...

So let's make the next big market hype start now! :rolleyes:

Total damn waste cause you can't upload X265 video yet, meaning you're stuck uploading X264 files at 4x the size for the same video quality (x264 scales badly the higher res you go)

Zarathustra[H];1041655830 said:
Wow, must be nice to live somewhere where housing is that affordable.

Around here, the cheapest, crappiest little hole in the wall is too expensive unless tyou are a borderline millionaire.

Before I got divorced we owned a condo in half of a duplex 20min outside of Boston.

Half of something like this:

14186761984_a301902f16.jpg

The cost? $440k :(

I've pretty much come to the conlcusion that I will never be able to afford a house again, unless I live somewhere far away from family and where there is work in my field.

Lol, it's even worse in Wash DC area...As for the video, it looks decent but lags off of tube even at 1440p. It doesn't looks better than a proper 1080p blu ray but way better than anything else I've seen on YouTube. I think in terms of required bandwidth and overpowered computer to cope with browser crappiness makes this stuff quite farfetched right now. Like others I would rather see higher bitrate 1080p than low bitrate 4k/8k.

Back