8GB Overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least I don't have 6GB of unused RAM...:D
I'll even give you the Killer NIC... even though all the reviews I've read says it's a POS. But you could have spent the extra money on the PPU for more RAM or a better video card..

But maybe I just can't comprehend that sort of thing.

Well, only if you never turn the computer off, or you'll lose your game install. If you have to copy it into memory every time you run the game then that would be defeating the purpose.

Yes, I know you weren't meaning that literally.

If you knew, why point that out? :p

And in the spirit of hypotheticals... assuming your game fits in a 6 gig space with a little wiggle room, we're talking about 5-5.5 gigs of data, it only has to be READ into memory on each boot (you could have a stored copy somewhere), and with most modern hard drives easily sustaining at least 50-60 MB/s read throughput, we're only talking about ~90 seconds of load on each boot, which could easily be put in a low priority background task. Hypothetically ;) No the net gain would probably not make up for the disk and cpu time used to load the game into memory on each boot, but would you really notice or care? Most people only care about level load times, although since most game data is compressed now, the bottleneck for level loads is usually the CPU anyway. But I digress.

I know man... its hard to resist. Years and years on various tech forums and I'm still terrible about feeding the trolls :D I guess its my helpful nature, I just want to convert them from their trollish ways and enlighten them.

Yeah I often forget that you can't really help these people. They aren't going to change. I went back and reread some of this thread. Putting it all together its pretty obvious the guy is just an arrogant asshole and nothing else. He's pulled everything he can think of to make him feel like he is some kind of god way up in the heavens and we just wish we could gleem 1 oz of widom from him. Well just listen to him...

@Atech I'd recommend you read this section throughly. Because this is how you sound to everyone. Or at least the 20 people or so who have been bashing you for the last 5 pages. I don't know if it's what you intend or not. But if you think your gaining anyone's respect from this... well you need to spend a good deal of time rethinking your paradigms. And I use that word specifically for it's meaning not because it's a big word of doom.

Obviously he's better than us...
you just add on your fuzzy warm feelings..and those are useless to me.
We're almost on his level now!
Finaly some data...and not just empty words.
Oh oh oh wait now we're no where near him again. Note the added insult to macs to try to get people to agree with him.
you say nothing that interest me..I don't care about your warm fuzzy feelings...I'm not a Mac user...
Now he tries to explain how awesome he and his computer are.... (Side note, I'd think what he lists below would use more than the 2 gigs he has but maybe thats just me.)
I use 3-4 cores MAX many times a day.
I encode and game. Now I can game while doing stuff in the background..or run the latest multicore games like they are supposed to be played...strike 1.

Now he turns on the defenseive to defend his killer NIC but still with that same "duh your an idiot" tone.
Try silvermoon from DK...ping is 150 to 250...before.

Now he goes back to the I'm better thanthough attidute. Hes using the smiliy faces now to try to get people to agree with him. Does that actually work? :D
Good thing the lag isn't the only reason I bought this NiC then ;)
He sees he is defeated and so he jumps ship from defending his hardware to the "I'm better than thou and you can't even comprehend WHY!"
You still havn't touched the primary aspect of why I got it....keep digging.

I've less demeaning statements from an abusive husband...
Gives this man a cookie.

Back to straight insults again...
Do you have a problem comprehending what you read?
There are many benefits for me, the primary is the Linux part, which gives me "goodies".

I think this statement is probably the biggest cry for help in this whole thread...
You are funny...understanding nothing, but trying to sound like you do...kidna sad...if I cared :D
Back to insulting again...
Insead of trying to prove you don't comprehend, why don't you adress the point I made?
Too hard?

Back to smileys to try to get accepted and "win the thread".
At least I don't have 6GB of unused RAM...:D

No?
Do you have a problem comprehending what you read?
There are many benefits for me, the primary is the Linux part, which gives me "goodies".
but the lag, FPS and packet priority are some.
And i like how you think that a PCI bus will slow down a 15/1.5Mbit with Fast Interleave line, when the PCI bus actually have better lantency than the PCI-E bus and is no where near to saturating the PCI bus...

You are funny...understanding nothing, but trying to sound like you do...kidna sad...if I cared :D

I can tell you excel at making friends.

LMAO.... good stuff NKD. I owned an Alienware (currently waiting on a refund since returning the hunk of crap) and when I first sent it in for repairs they returned it with a brand new free $160 Killer K1 card... know what I did with it? Pulled it out of the computer and tossed it inside the computer box and stored it away... when it came time and I returned the computer... I put it back in and sent it back to them. LOL, thats my thoughts on the Killer K1

As for 8GB of memory... I dont know really. I was told to ditch my original 4x1GB and get 2x2GB for better overclocking. So I would assume if I tried using 8GB I would be back to hindering my OC again. Now if I wasnt going to OC... I would probably go with 8GB.

Hey Mr. KillerNIC, as you're so fond to point out. this is the [H], we don't care about "warm fuzzy feelings."

The KillerNIC is a killer waste of money. Any "improvement" in your ping is due to some other factor, and I doubt you can show any hard data (as you so frequently have pointed out in this thread as being the most important thing.) Look at any reputable review of the thing, it doesn't do shit, and you wasted way more than 8GB of DDR2 worth of money. Again, we don't care about "warm fuzzy feelings" here on the [H]. (Your words not mine.)

Seriously if you're gonna come in here and crap all over people for spending $40 that they may or may not see a real benefit from, make DAMN sure you aren't wasting $200 that you will NEVER see a benefit from.

Don't come in here waving the [H] around all the while praising the merits of placebo effect bullshit. You do a disservice to the level of honesty and factual reviews we have here both on the site and in the forums. Take your hypocrisy elsewhere.

apperantly Atech doesn't realize that linux will do just like vista with superfetch turned on.. linux will also cache your files too to make stuff readily available in a timely fashion.

Actually, I went over this more than once. I didn't use specific OSes outside of saying 64 bit, but the RAM cache is what I had been referring to and named repeatedly. It's obvious he has no clue what a RAM cache is or what it does.

He is using a 32 bit OS along with only 2 gig of RAM so I can somewhat understand why he seems to think 2 gig is enough. Most people think what they have is enough until they actually use something that is better. It's only at that point some people will realize that what they haven't isn't necessarily enough.

BTW I dumped iTunes when I found out the ripping quality is subpar compared to other players. I use winamp to sync a shuffle, though it is not without headaches.

I can't stand how deleting mp3's from your collection results in the ipod syncing to the same thing. Things may have changed but when i used it it did that.
I've been using DBPowerAmp with Accurip. Works nicely and it does ALAC (Apple Lossless).

Depends on what you are doing. Have a couple of well-fed VM's running, and suddenly 4 or 8GB ain't so much.

Actually, I went over this more than once. I didn't use specific OSes outside of saying 64 bit, but the RAM cache is what I had been referring to and named repeatedly. It's obvious he has no clue what a RAM cache is or what it does.

He is using a 32 bit OS along with only 2 gig of RAM so I can somewhat understand why he seems to think 2 gig is enough. Most people think what they have is enough until they actually use something that is better. It's only at that point some people will realize that what they haven't isn't necessarily enough.

I was only naming an os because he said he uses linux... but since he uses linux he should already know that more memory should stand to serve him well.

If you knew, why point that out? :p

And in the spirit of hypotheticals... assuming your game fits in a 6 gig space with a little wiggle room, we're talking about 5-5.5 gigs of data, it only has to be READ into memory on each boot (you could have a stored copy somewhere), and with most modern hard drives easily sustaining at least 50-60 MB/s read throughput, we're only talking about ~90 seconds of load on each boot, which could easily be put in a low priority background task. Hypothetically ;) No the net gain would probably not make up for the disk and cpu time used to load the game into memory on each boot, but would you really notice or care? Most people only care about level load times, although since most game data is compressed now, the bottleneck for level loads is usually the CPU anyway. But I digress.

Well, it got me thinking about whether you'd be able to load it at startup as you described.. good point about the compressed data though!

I was only naming an os because he said he uses linux... but since he uses linux he should already know that more memory should stand to serve him well.

It's only on the Killer NIC that he's using Linux software. I guarandamntee you he's running 32 bit XP.

Dude - he is trying to say Vista is a ram hog. It's trying to find ways to use all the ram all the time.. <g> So 8 is fine no matter what your doing..

Pretty sure that 2GB is definitely not more than you need even now, I've gone over that on my system and it's not exactly a CAD workstation.

Personally I wonder how long it would be until 64-bit computing isn't enough.. it seems impossibly far off at the moment.

Since this thread has degenerated into nothing useful, I'll drop in my two cents.

8GB? absolutely. I paid $250 for 8MB in 1995. That price now for 1024x more memory.

Will I use it? Yup.

Today's tasklist: double VMware for folding, photoshop, office, 20 tabs in the fox, winamp, aim. I have 4gb now, I'm swapped out to a gig right now and it's impeding what I'd like to do. Tax refund is here soon and it's got 4 More Gig written all over it.

With 2 instances of f@h running, virtual machines, and CAD, I idle at about 4GB used. (Vista 64, [email protected], 8GB DDR800)

There is definately a performance hit with only 4GB, so I added 4GB more. Things are better now.

It's not really all that difficult to use up 4GB if you actually use the system.
Same for multicores. Not everyone needs them, but if you do, you usually want more of 'em.

I use 3-4 cores MAX many times a day.
I encode and game. Now I can game while doing stuff in the background..or run the latest multicore games like they are supposed to be played...strike 1.

I play games that support it daily, like UT3...where I get ADDED FPS when having a PPU....strike 2.

I have been under 100ms i WoW ever since I got it....so again a peice of hardware that I USE every day....not like 8 GB RAM that only one person could post evidence of using...so with your fallacy I will say strike 3...

So unless you can post data for +2GB usage, I repeat myself:
Your post means nothing to me...

rofl :p
here is 2.2gb of memory usage with only firefox steam and utorrent open, on a 2 day old install of vista x64

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/bananaXr/Computer/2gb.jpg

on a side note, I've never been over 4gb of usage running a single app, running multiple instances of apps is different though, hellgate 64bit also uses alot of mem,

I have 8gigs for a few simple reasons.
1. games should make good use of it. Even if not all of it a good chunk with plenty of breathing room. This machine is likely to last me a good 3 years before I build a new one. I would suspect that memory usage of games could grow that high in roughly 3 years. If you have the hardware someone will write software to take full advantage of it.
2. Price was right, so uhhhh why not?
3. when this computer gets demoted to make way for the new gaming machine I'm sure to build this one will have more than enough to keep it going well enough when it does some serious multitasking.

Think in the future. It's really not all that bad.

Better to have and not use than need and not have.

shamgar - check your attitude at the door.

If you have something positive to add, please do so. If not, don't post. Pretty simple.

If this is isn't clear, I can arrange to have someone with "Administrator" as their title explain it to you in greater detail.

Carry on......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back