• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

889w at the wall gaming

Putz

I have a custom title
2FA
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
5,586
lol good thing i upgraded the power supply for this rig , just picked up a UPM (kill a watt wannabe) to see what this thing pulls, 449w idle, 889 gaming

specs in my sig
 
Wow, that's the most i've heard from a system(maybe im not looking hard enough). I'd hate to pay your hydro bill. :p
 
hummm I am happy with my 300 watt max XPC SG31G2 Shuttle LOL
But wow how much is ur monthly electric bill ???
 
Wow, that's the most i've heard from a system(maybe im not looking hard enough). I'd hate to pay your hydro bill. :p

One of my systems pulls just over 900 watts folding 24/7/365.
Idle is around 500 watts.
A 900 watts from the wall computer is easy to make.

Luck ......... :D
 
that is a lot of power... for sure.

however, it's probably not that big a bill...

Think about it, people.... I mean, if you gamed for 8 hours a day (which he probably doesn't) That's like 8 100-watt light bulbs on. Big deal. Air conditioning, fridge, washer/dryer, etc- that's where the big power drains are.

Yeah, it makes a difference. Enough to matter? naaaah.
 
lol yeah its 400-500 not gaming, thats including a 24" and 22" monitor

and i might game 2-3 hours a day, 1-2 hours on not gaming then its off :)
 
Xiet I felt a difference between a 250watt PC and a 800watt Having the computer on 24/7 and gaming few hours a day the diff in electric bill was $50-75 bucks more for me.
I live by myself. So id say 800+ watts does effect ur Electric bill.

Now if you life with ur parents you wont see much differences there then.
 
Yeah, but you run FOUR 9800GX2s...

You have trouble with FOUR 9800GX2's in one box.

XP doesn't but Vista does ............ :p

30,000-40,000 PpD from one box is ........... :cool:

Luck .............. :D
 
im using a meter that you plug the pc into, like the "kill a watt" unit, and yes that included the 24"

the speakers weren't on, once i get moved ill have to try that and see if it makes any diff
 
that is a lot of power... for sure.

however, it's probably not that big a bill...

Think about it, people.... I mean, if you gamed for 8 hours a day (which he probably doesn't) That's like 8 100-watt light bulbs on. Big deal. Air conditioning, fridge, washer/dryer, etc- that's where the big power drains are.

Yeah, it makes a difference. Enough to matter? naaaah.

With electric rates what they are here in southern california, it would make a noticable difference in the bill. Even if you're not gaming, but leave your computer on 24/7, that's still 500watts of continuous power. Not to mention the AC (if it's on) would be running longer and more often becuase of the additional heat.

BTW, that LCD is probably pulling a good 100watts on its own.
 
With electric rates what they are here in southern california, it would make a noticable difference in the bill. Even if you're not gaming, but leave your computer on 24/7, that's still 500watts of continuous power. Not to mention the AC (if it's on) would be running longer and more often becuase of the additional heat.
.

Why would you run this rig 24/7 ? (other than folding)

You can do office stuff and internet watching from laptop , or do file downloads via ultra cheap atom based desktop and use main monster only for gaming.
 
Don't 24" monitors pull about 100W? So that's 789W for the PC alone, factoring a safe 18% efficiency that would be... around 670 watts?

If my calculations aren't completely fuber'ed, then his PSU still isn't close to being maxed out.
 
Why would you run this rig 24/7 ? (other than folding)

You can do office stuff and internet watching from laptop , or do file downloads via ultra cheap atom based desktop and use main monster only for gaming.

I run my rig all the time, I never switch it off. I'm always remoting into the system or needing it for other services on the fly.

A lot of people leave their systems running 24/7
 
im using a meter that you plug the pc into, like the "kill a watt" unit, and yes that included the 24"

the speakers weren't on, once i get moved ill have to try that and see if it makes any diff

Your sig says you have a 30" LCD monitor. Is that plugged in as well?
 
That's about right. My system pulled 1,058 watts from the wall when I was using dual 4870 X2's in CrossfireX and playing games. Running Geforce GTX 280 OC 3-Way SLI I'm pulling about 890 watts from the wall while gaming. My power usage is always about 100 watts high because I'm running dual quad core CPUs.
 
That's about right. My system pulled 1,058 watts from the wall when I was using dual 4870 X2's in CrossfireX and playing games. Running Geforce GTX 280 OC 3-Way SLI I'm pulling about 890 watts from the wall while gaming. My power usage is always about 100 watts high because I'm running dual quad core CPUs.

WOW :eek:
What were your specs when you had the 4870X2s?
 
I don't know about his Samsung 305T but the Dell 3007WFP pulls about 90 watts at the wall.

considering how hot my apple becomes above 50% brigthness i would say that 90w is a pretty humble number :p
 
considering how hot my apple becomes above 50% brigthness i would say that 90w is a pretty humble number :p

What's odd is that the North American website shows the Dell 3007WFP consumes about 150 watts. However the Canadian specs for the same monitor show that it consumes only 90 watts. I keep mine on a brightness of 7 (it goes up to 10) and it only pulls about 90 watts in my tests.
 
WOW :eek:
What were your specs when you had the 4870X2s?

Case: Silverstone TJ-09B
Power Supply: Thermaltake ToughPower 1200watt (WO133RU)
Motherboard: Intel D5400XS "Skulltrail" (BIOS 1149)
CPU(s): 2x Intel Core 2 Extreme Edition QX9775 CPUs (6MB L2, LGA771, 3.2GHz)@4.0GHz
CPU Cooling: 2x Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w/Sunon 120x38mm 84CFM fans
Memory: 4x2GB (8GB Total) Crucial PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz FB-DIMMs (Quad-Channel)
Video Card(s): 2x ATI Radeon 4870 X2 (CrossfireX)
HDD: 2x150GB 10,000rpm 16MB cache Western Digital Raptors WD1500ADFD (RAID-0)
Optical Drive: Samsung 20x DVD-R/RW SATA Drive
Monitor: Dell Ultra-Sharp 3007WFP (Rev. A02)

Power consumption:
Idle: 580 watts
Load: 1058 watts

Now:

Case: Silverstone TJ-09B
Power Supply: Thermaltake ToughPower 1200watt (WO133RU)
Motherboard: Intel D5400XS "Skulltrail" (BIOS 1149)
CPU(s): 2x Intel Core 2 Extreme Edition QX9775 CPUs (6MB L2, LGA771, 3.2GHz)@4.0GHz
CPU Cooling: 2x Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w/Sunon 120x38mm 84CFM fans
Memory: 4x2GB (8GB Total) Crucial PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz FB-DIMMs (Quad-Channel)
Video Card(s): 3x BFG Technologies Geforce GTX 280 OC (3-Way SLI)
HDD: 2x150GB 10,000rpm 16MB cache Western Digital Raptors WD1500ADFD (RAID-0)
Optical Drive: Samsung 20x DVD-R/RW SATA Drive
Monitor: Dell Ultra-Sharp 3007WFP (Rev. A02)

Power consumption:
Idle: 560 watts
Load: 890 watts

The wattages are approximate and from memory. I'm not 100% sure on the idle results for the 4870 X2's. I am sure of the results for the BFG Geforce GTX 280 OC (3-Way SLI) configuration though as I just checked them.
 
Heh, and people said I was dumb for buying a 1,600 w PSU. At the rate they are pumping out these monsters, we will be there shortly.

Nice rig dan-d
 
Heh, and people said I was dumb for buying a 1,600 w PSU. At the rate they are pumping out these monsters, we will be there shortly.

Nice rig dan-d

Thanks. :cool: I am updating the drives to Velociraptors. I thought about going SSD but they aren't where they need to be just yet.

My friends always thought that 1200watts was overkill when I purchased that PSU. Guess it wasn't. :)
 
Heh, and people said I was dumb for buying a 1,600 w PSU. At the rate they are pumping out these monsters, we will be there shortly.

Nice rig dan-d

My Quad 9800GX2 rig pushes my 1,500 Watt PSU to 50% load.
And that without loading loading the CPU to 100%.
I'm not sure I'd like to try and run it 24/7 off a smaller PSU.

MSI K9A2 Plat MoBo.
Quad 9800GX2's.
9850 Black CPU.
4Gb DDR2-800 Ram.
74Gb Raptor HDD.
1,500 Watt PSU.
Thermaltake Armor+ Case.

Luck .................. :D
 
How do you run four 9800GX2's in one box? I realize some boards have the PCI-Express slots to do this but those cards are all dual slot as they all have dual PCB's sandwiched together. They physically take two slots each. Three of them equals six. Not sure how in the hell you could do a fourth considering most cases won't allow for the last slot to have anything that normally takes up two installed.

I've love to see pics of this because I don't see that as being likely. And finally, why in the hell would you want four of those things in your rig? You can't SLI more than two of them anyway.
 
How do you run four 9800GX2's in one box? I realize some boards have the PCI-Express slots to do this but those cards are all dual slot as they all have dual PCB's sandwiched together. They physically take two slots each. Three of them equals six. Not sure how in the hell you could do a fourth considering most cases won't allow for the last slot to have anything that normally takes up two installed.

I've love to see pics of this because I don't see that as being likely. And finally, why in the hell would you want four of those things in your rig? You can't SLI more than two of them anyway.

Yes pics please!
 
Back
Top