8800GTS w/ 1GB of memory!!!

Bo_Fox

[H]ard|Gawd
(The title above does exactly what it intends to do... as an attention-grabber for Nvidia's...attention!)

Ok, where's an 8800GTS with 1 GB of memory? There are quite a few manufacturers now offering the GT version with 1GB but for some reason nobody has dared to do it for a new GTS (now 2 months old). They started doing it for GT cards no later than 1 month after it was released (Palit was one of the first, IIRC). The guy who sells that new GTS with 1 GB will be the best seller, no doubt.. but why are they not doing it yet???

My theory is that Nvidia made it clear to them that they had no permission to do that with GTS G92 cards, since Nvidia has plans to release a *slightly* faster 9800GTX card based on a very similar G92 chip. 1GB of memory is pretty much guaranteed, perhaps with a 512-bit interface this time. And I think that DX10.1 support will also be incorporated, thus meriting a jump from the 8-series generation to the 9-series. Regarding 512-bit memory--Nvidia seems to be more interested in saving money by avoiding super-high-speed memory and using 512-bit instead (note: still no GDDR4 support predicted yet!). The 8800 Ultra used 2.2 GHz-rated GDDR3 memory, but only because Nvidia knew they could sell it at $649 a pop with that awesome selling feature: "100GB/s bandwidth at 384-bit interface".

Guys, those G92 cards are severely crippled, and Nvidia knows it. Only 16 ROP's, come on guys! Nvidia is actually delaying their next-gen cards because their G92 cards are selling like hot cakes. Of course I do appreciate the low prices, but that is only because of the 38xx cards from ATi. We need to start playing that "hard-to-get" game with Nvidia and they will start listening to us more. I mean, hey, it's not so hard to just slap on 1GB of 2.6GHz GDDR4 memory onto that 8800GTS G92 card.. if Nvidia would let Gainward or Evga do it themselves.

Nvidia just doesn't want to lose any thunder for its upcoming 9800GTX card that is supposed to be ONLY 30% faster than an 8800GTX (not the Ultra)!!! That's all??? Yeah, that's perfectly understandable, Nvidia.. with what you're doing right now.

Yeah, don't wanna destroy 3870X2 sales and the upcoming 9800GX2 sales either.. which is why the 9800GTX only comes "afterwards".

EDIT: Gainward is actually doing it with 1GB in Europe (see Niceone's post below)!! Yay!!!

I want to see an [H] review of the new 1gb cards.

As far as a 1gb 8800GTS, I think it is just a matter of time.

I think the real answer is that the 512mb cards are selling just fine, so why bother upping the cost to add in another 512mb that doesn't even make a difference in real world usage. The reviews on the 1 GB 8800GTs show pretty clearly that the extra RAM isn't worth it on those cards.

1GB 8800GT = pointless (no performance increase over 512)

I bet that a 1GB 8800GTS yields no gain over 512MB.

edit: don't make misleading thread titles like that please

1GB 8800GT = pointless (no performance increase over 512)

I bet that a 1GB 8800GTS yields no gain over 512MB.

edit: don't...

Whoa!!! A good thing you came here to learn!

"There was a considerable effect from the double amount of memory in such games as Call of Juarez, Call of Duty 4, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Tomb Raider: Legend, Hellgate: London, and Gothic 3. This is 6 out of 15 games we use for benchmarking graphics cards. That’s a serious achievement. The performance gain is really valuable in Call of Duty 4, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Hellgate: London as it allows playing at high resolutions and (in the latter case) at the highest graphics quality settings without investing into Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX/Ultra." -Xbitlabs

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gainward-bliss8800gt-1024gs_18.html#sect0

And there are also slightly greater improvements in some of the remaining 15 games that cannot be explained by clock increases alone. Just fire up Rivatuner monitoring or Nvidia's own diagonistic utility and see for yourself how much RAM some current games use.

Finally, the title is just that, 8800GTS w/ 1 GB of memory!!! (as in I want that card!!!) --- boss me around all you want because I gave you a heart attack? LOL.. :p

(The title above does exactly what it intends to do... as an attention-grabber for Nvidia's...attention!)

I highly doubt anyone from NVidia came/will come across this thread.. and my only reaction was an raised eyebrow followed by a "pfftt". No heart attacks or random epileptic seizures. I did however manage to gather up a short fart as a reward. Although the one thing thats missing is that the thread title be in all caps, more "!" and an "OMIGAWD" at the end.

Gainward does tend to break the "rules" though, like when they had the AGP card with a 7900GT core (I think nVidia made them call it the 7800GT+ or something like that)

I'm calling BS on the X-bit labs test. I don't trust any sites other than HardOCP anymore.

edit: I found out why the X-bit labs test shows a difference - the 1GB 8800GT they tested is factory overclocked. The only difference you are seeing there is from overclocking. HardOCP's test confirms that 1GB makes no difference with their fair test (both cards they tested used the same clock speeds)

here is HardOCP's test http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ0Niw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFz

I'm calling BS on the X-bit labs test. I don't trust any sites other than HardOCP anymore.

edit: I found out why the X-bit labs test shows a difference - the 1GB 8800GT they tested is factory overclocked. The only difference you are seeing there is from overclocking. HardOCP's test confirms that 1GB makes no difference with their fair test (both cards they tested used the same clock speeds)

here is HardOCP's test http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ0Niw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFz

The test hardly puts any stress on the cards where it could show a difference... 2x AA COD4? No AA on Crysis? Pretty useless tests. The Xbitlabs article shows there being 25-28% boosts in some games, hardly small enough to be representative of the clock speed difference.

This appeared in my GPUReview.com parser today:

http://www.xpertvision.com/en/products/nv_pcie_8800GTS-1GB-Sonic.html

It is a 512MB (G92) 8800 GTS with 1GB of GDDR3. Enjoy.
http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=625

Well what do you expext; Gainward and Xpertvision are Palit's brands and now there is 1024MB version under all of those brands.
------

Intresting how both sites say that it would have only 112SP.. could be mistake since Palit's Gainward-cards have same clock speeds..

The test hardly puts any stress on the cards where it could show a difference... 2x AA COD4? No AA on Crysis? Pretty useless tests. The Xbitlabs article shows there being 25-28% boosts in some games, hardly small enough to be representative of the clock speed difference.

...We did try pushing the game up to 4X AA, but that simply became unplayable, even on this 1GB video card, suggesting that it is a limitation of bandwidth rather than framebuffer size...

...We were also able to run the 512MB GeForce 8800 GT at these same settings and we found no performance differences between the two...

:confused:

So what your saying is that 2x isn't enough to push the card but 4x aa is too much for it? I'm losing you here.

Adding to the calls, a 1G version will be just as pointless as the 8800GT 1GB.

Both cards have the same memory bus and the performance gain will be about the same, very marginal.

Adding to the calls, a 1G version will be just as pointless as the 8800GT 1GB.

Both cards have the same memory bus and the performance gain will be about the same, very marginal.

Yep, which is why I LOVE my 8800GTX. That 768MB of 2GHz memory at 384-bit bandwidth for approx. 100GB/s is more than enough for ALL games I've tested so far, both for size and girth. :D

Yep, which is why I LOVE my 8800GTX. That 768MB of 2GHz memory at 384-bit bandwidth for approx. 100GB/s is more than enough for ALL games I've tested so far, both for size and girth. :D

And as everyone knows, girth is what really mattters. ;)

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/18/follow-teh-8800gtx

If that 768MB turns out to be true for that upcoming 9800GTX, then that makes PERFECT SENSE for not allowing 8800GTS G92 cards to have 1GB of memory (at least here in N. America). Gainward's the only one breaking the rules (and I loved Gainward when they were doing business here)---hope Gainward will come back!
you might want to re-read what the Inq said:
"Yup, the 9800GTX just popped up in their top secret docs, with only one spec attached to it, 768M. Guess that starts to answer the question."

they leap to the conclusion that the "768M" refers to memory (and thus bandwidth) whereas it probably refers to the number of transistors.

you might want to re-read what the Inq said:
"Yup, the 9800GTX just popped up in their top secret docs, with only one spec attached to it, 768M. Guess that starts to answer the question."

they leap to the conclusion that the "768M" refers to memory (and thus bandwidth) whereas it probably refers to the number of transistors.

Ahhhh.. that could possibly be 768M transistors instead, I see! Thanks for providing an eagle-eye's perspective!

erm... 256-bit bus is the limiting factor on the 1 gig 8800 GT cards... GTS has the same bus... both would limit the ram on the card... pretty worthless conversation. Just go read the [H] review for the palit 8800 GT and you'll see why...

Ahhhh.. that could possibly be 768M transistors instead, I see! Thanks for providing an eagle-eye's perspective!
768M transistors would be intresting since G92 has 754M transistors (G80 had 681M).It would mean that it wouldn't use G92 core..but it would also mean that it wouldn't differ much from G92..

erm... 256-bit bus is the limiting factor on the 1 gig 8800 GT cards... GTS has the same bus... both would limit the ram on the card... pretty worthless conversation. Just go read the [H] review for the palit 8800 GT and you'll see why...

if the memory were clocked at 2400MHz then it would be a substantial boost over even the GTS.

Back