8800GTS 512 SLI or HD4870

samops03

Gawd
I currently have an IP35Pro and a single EVGA 8800GTS 512. I will be looking to upgrade my video card in the near future. Im thinking of either getting a single 4870 for $260 or Buying a P5Q Pro and another 8800GTS for a total of around $240.

What do you think would be the best choice in terms of video performance in games and future upgrades?

Thanks

To go SLI you need a nvidia chipset. So your cheaper option for motherboards is a 750i if you want something current.
Personally the 8800 GTS, is a good performing card. What resolution and monitor size are you running?
If you just have the itch to upgrade, I would go with the HD4870.

Edit:
Just noticed you had a 22 inch, so it runs at 1680*1050. Personally I would hold off for the next cycle or look at some reviews to see if the gain in performance is worth it on the games you play. I had a HD4850 that I tried out, but on the games I played it was not worth the price coming from a 8800GT. Depending on the games your decision may differ.

P5Q Pro doesn't support SLI, if you want SLI on the cheap you want 750i. EVGA has a lifetime warranty on the reference board, that's what I suggest if you go that road.

That said, what games do you play and at what res? I think the battle is between AA, if your running a smaller res (and thus higher AA), the HD4870 is a good choice, but if your looking at a bigger monitor with lower AA levels, I think the dual 8800GTS is a good idea.

edit: actually unless you've got a hot ticket on a 2nd 8800GTS I suggest the HD 4870.
edit2: oh, heh, Samsung 22 eh, yeah go with the HD4870. sorry dude I hit the reply button and read the post in the box below the typing box which doesnt show your sig :(.

To go SLI you need a nvidia chipset. So your cheaper option for motherboards is a 750i if you want something current.
Personally the 8800 GTS, is a good performing card. What resolution and monitor size are you running?

Im Running 1680x1050 on a 22" Samsung.
*Slaps himself for not realizing you cant run SLI on P5Q

I def want to sell my GTS now though while its still worth something. Figure i can get $100 for it and put that towards the 4870. There are a lot of games coming out and i want to max them all out with smooth play!

As far as the games, i would like to play Crysis, COD4, GTA4, Far Cry2, Mercs2, and any other cool FPS that comes out in the next year or so..

Im Running 1680x1050 on a 22" Samsung.
*Slaps himself for not realizing you cant run SLI on P5Q

I def want to sell my GTS now though while its still worth something. Figure i can get $100 for it and put that towards the 4870. There are a lot of games coming out and i want to max them all out with smooth play!

As far as the games, i would like to play Crysis, COD4, GTA4, Far Cry2, Mercs2, and any other cool FPS that comes out in the next year or so..

I game at the same res; used to have 8800GTX. I sold it on ebay for $200 few weeks ago, it didn't run games I played well enough. I can't stand lag, and i feel it more than most people I think. Crysis would not play well, COD4 would chug a bit with 4xaa and AOC was pretty laggy most of the time.

I then tested out HD4870 and was very impressed. Now, I am testing GTX260 and I can tell you; i think it's a better card. I was able to play Crysis on very high throughout and AOC performs way better on it.

Although, the main reason I upgraded was because of Far Cry 2. I want to make sure that I can run the game well; I didn't want to wait until it's release just to sell my 8800GTX for $50.

I think GTX260 would be a better choice for you; but I guess HD4870 is a good card also.

If you're considering the 4870 you might as well consider the GTX260 as well, since they've fallen in price and they're actually cheaper than 4870's in some cases right now... I saw several for $240 at Newegg while the 4870's were starting at $255, after MIR either way. Both cards go neck and neck really so it comes down to price, rebates, the particular games you play, and your reseller preference (lifetime warranties are nice imo, Visiontek's the one to look for on ATI's side)...

If you're considering the 4870 you might as well consider the GT260 as well, since they've fallen in price and they're actually cheaper than 4870's in some cases right now... I saw several for $240 at Newegg while the 4870's were starting at $255, after MIR either way. Both cards go neck and neck really so it comes down to price, rebates, the particular games you play, and your reseller preference (lifetime warranties are nice imo, Visiontek's the one to look for on ATI's side)...

There is PNY on the egg for $229 now. link

Yeah, I think I had seen that one, though personally I'd probably just pay the extra $10 for a lifetime warranty from the likes of EVGA.

I also suggest the 260gtx by a hair. ATI is going to have to lower the price of the 4870 about 20-30$ to make it the better value. I figue they should be able to afford it since the die is like 1/2 the size of the 200 series. They both will own anything other than crysis pretty hard @ 1680x1050.

I also suggest the 260gtx by a hair. ATI is going to have to lower the price of the 4870 about 20-30$ to make it the better value. I figue they should be able to afford it since the die is like 1/2 the size of the 200 series. They both will own anything other than crysis pretty hard @ 1680x1050.

less than half the size. 255mm^2 vs 580mm^2. The GT200 is ugly, but Nvidia was willing to sell at a loss to maintain public image and keep market share.

I really dont know which to buy now... The Visiontek is $260 shipped on the egg now. If i was to get the GTX i would only get the EVGA, because of step-up and excellent support. The cheapest EVGA is $240 after 40MIR...

What i really want to know is... Since im selling my GTS512.. It will cost me around $150 to upgrade to either card right now. Is it worth it? How much of a diff will i see with the GTX260/HD4870?

Thanks Guys

I upgraded from an MSI 8800 GTS 512 OC to a Visiontek 4870. Was it faster - yep. Was it "knock my socks off" faster - nope. The only game I'm playing at the moment is AoC, so that may have something to do with it, but I was expecting more. Specs q6600, 4 gigs ram, etc...

Edit:
Just noticed you had a 22 inch, so it runs at 1680*1050. Personally I would hold off for the next cycle or look at some reviews to see if the gain in performance is worth it on the games you play. I had a HD4850 that I tried out, but on the games I played it was not worth the price coming from a 8800GT. Depending on the games your decision may differ.

I agree with lgestle, the 8800GTS is strong card and at 1680x1050 well, you should be able to max out most fun games. And even run games like crysis pretty well.

If you have an itch to upgrade and your gonna spend money either way, SLI is always fun :) the 4850 is a great buy right now, but you will see minimal incress from you current setup..

BTW: if you want to sell, im looking for a 8800GTS (G92) 512mb right now :) LMK.

i'm on my 2nd evga 260. 1st was DOA, this one runs hot. HOT. it was up to 110C with 100% fan. reseated with ASC and down to 90 C. 90 is fine and within spec, but that card is supposedly only rated up to 115...110 is way, way too close to that. this is in a very well cooled case, but in a hot room.

i might RMA this card, too, as i've read cards that hit close to 115C are defective and that they shouldnt be going over 90C at stock. my card also locks up when i OC it even a little bit.

this isnt just my GTX260 experience. the evga tech told me theyve had an abnormally high number of defective 260s and he thought it was a design problem with the 1st revision from nvidia.

Hey,I would send it back to the factory if it runs that hot are put a aftermarket fan on it.I really like the 4870s though.:)

Back