8800GTS 320MB on February 12th

Considering an 8800GTS with 640MB of RAM goes for $370AR at newegg, I've gotta say this is highly underwhelming news price-wise for the 320MB ones to launch at $300, which you can speculate will perform much worse with a lot of AA, AF, and high resolutions going on. We also don't know yet how VRAM will affect DX10 performance. Seems like a gamble to me that I would not take.

Yeah, at $300 for a neutered version vs. 370-ish (even lower soon) for a full on GTS, that is not a good "bang for buck" trade off, at least, it does not appear to be.

I was looking into that card for my 7yr old son's updated rig, but at that price, I would just get a full on GTS, or go cheaper and get something like a 7800GT or 7900 series.

$300 is probably the MSRP. I would guess that the street price would be somewhere around $260.

$200 would make it a great deal, but i'm guessing they'd rather have the 8600Ultra for that price range.

its actually pretty good since i can buy one at $300
i only play at 1440x900,
buy either a psu or more memory/hard drive

If this debuted at $250, it'd be one hell of a deal. Now I'm considering sending my X1950Pro back to Newegg before I bust it open tomorrow...

If this debuted at $250, it'd be one hell of a deal. Now I'm considering sending my X1950Pro back to Newegg before I bust it open tomorrow...

250 would be nice. My friends would love that since they can't see spending 400+ on a vid card, but want the speed....I always tell them you got to pay to play.

waiting for the numbers...

would be nice to have the same performance as it's 640MB bigger brother, maybe just at little hit would still be good.

Well, this is the card I'm waiting for. I have no doubts that it will perform the same as the 640 MB version @ 1280x1024, which is the native res of my monitor (that I won't be changing anytime soon). At $300, it's an excellent bang for your buck card.
For those that wish thie card would cost $250, it's not going to happen so soon, especially when there's no mid-low range GeForce 8 series out yet. The 8600 Ultra, should be the one to get that price.

Well, this is the card I'm waiting for. I have no doubts that it will perform the same as the 640 MB version @ 1280x1024, which is the native res of my monitor (that I won't be changing anytime soon). At $300, it's an excellent bang for your buck card.
For those that wish thie card would cost $250, it's not going to happen so soon, especially when there's no mid-low range GeForce 8 series out yet. The 8600 Ultra, should be the one to get that price.
i think your'e right about running 1280 with that card. the 320mb should be more than enough for lower resolutions, and the GPU will make for a kick-ass experience over 7-series midrange cards.

as far as price, i would not be surprised to see a bit lower than $300. i mean, the GTS has an MSRP of $500 and it's selling for $360-$400 right now, which is much lower. Even though ther e are no other Dx10 cards available so I wouldn't be surprised to see a 320mb GTS going for $250

The 8600 Ultra is supposed to be ~$180ish so it owuldn't surprise me to have a lower-high end card at the $250 point!

heh, this is all speculation. compltrely unproductive.but i'm bored. and drunk.

Im interested in running this at 1600x1200 for for 204B monitor.

Hopefully we will be able to order them soon here.

Though that newegg deal is tempting with the $30 MIR. Of course then you can use the eVGA step up and maybe be in time for a 89xx series.

hmmmmm.....i think im going to hold off on my c2d/8800gts purchase for now and see what this brings in terms of performance. Right now I game at 1280, but I might upgrade to a 22" (1680) sometime this year, so maybe it's still a good idea to get the 640mb version. i'm not in the biggest rush, so i'll wait and see!

I figure its best to sell my 7950gt before the bottom drops out of its resale when this card comes out. :)

Plus the performance difference is quite huge.

Back