8800gt running hot?

mode87

n00b
when playing games my 8800gt is hitting 108c and at idle sits at a cozy 81c is this normal? also the fan is ridiculously loud when playing games, but acceptable while at idle. when i get some extra cash i might try and pick up a new card, maybe one of those new amd 6000 series cards that's coming out soon. ;)

If I tell you that my 2year old passive cooled Sparkle 8800gt runs 50-55C idle and not even at 100 when put through Furmark torture - what do you think :D

It sounds like a classic case of heatsink constipation - especially since the 8800gt had so flat reference coolers. You should take out the card, take off the plastic cover, and remove all the compacted dust lodged in the way of airflow.

You'd be amazed what dust can do in a heatsink that can choke up

Im about to replace my own 8800gt with a new card btw. Better wait for some reviews of the 6000s :)

when playing games my 8800gt is hitting 108c and at idle sits at a cozy 81c is this normal? also the fan is ridiculously loud when playing games, but acceptable while at idle. when i get some extra cash i might try and pick up a new card, maybe one of those new amd 6000 series cards that's coming out soon. ;)

clean your heatsink.. most likely problem.. wouldnt doubt you have a few dust bunnies stuck in that thing.. happens every once in a while with my 8800GS's.. and if thats not the case then try remounting the heatsink.. if that doesnt help then get ready to bake that card soon..

That card is definitely dusty or has a crap cooling setup. My 8800GT idles at 55C and rarely gets higher than 70C under actual games. So yeah, your card is not normal

thanks for all the replies, ya i think i will take it out and see if i can remount the heatsink with some ac as well as clean out the dust bunnies. thanks again.

I had a BFG 8800gt a few years ago with this problem. Fixed it by putting a Zalman vf900 hsf on it. I have heard of other users having the stock hsf failing on their 8800gt's. So, you are not alone on this one.

Wow, didn't know the 8800GT could get to 108c and not burn up, thought it had a lot lower thermal cap. :eek:

Wow, didn't know the 8800GT could get to 108c and not burn up, thought it had a lot lower thermal cap. :eek:

8800GT max temp is 110C.. then its suppose to downclock to 2D and set the fan to 100% til the temps drop below 100C..

I took off the hsf and washed out all the dirt in it as well as took off that shitty thermal past from the processor and memory and replaced it with some articsilver. after doing this i now have a 20c drop in idle temps, so it sits around 62c and running furmark when i would be hitting 108 i am not at around 98, so alot better over all, thanks for the advice guys.

Back