8800GT gets a new reference cooler

sam0t

Gawd
8800GT new reference cooler

Well not much to say really, everybody knows the original 8800GT cooler is not good enough for the job.

edit:

Whatta heck, I swear I posted this under Nvidia sub forum, guess I did´t.

wow. neato.

Next problem: when do they ACTUALLY debut? old stock + retailer = lies

Well I guess I'll just get an aftermarket cooler since mine is probably coming with the old design fan. So this means that Nvidia is admitting there is a problem. Is the problem noise or heat though? With only marginal cooling upgrade I guess they just went after the noise issue.

If you want to purchase a 8800GT, just go for it. Because from now on, every reference 8800GT ship to retailer will equiped with the new cooler.

Yeah, sure. Mine is coming in the mail today. Real doubtful it'll have the new cooler. Why can't these companies just get their shit right from the begining. I'll keep my card in for a week and see how it does before I buy an aftermarket cooler. I know I will eventually anyway. Every card I've has since the 9700Pro has had an aftermarket cooler.

9700pro had a custom 1u copper HSF with memory fins.
X800pro had an Arctic Cooling Silencer on it.
7800gtx's both have Zalman VF700-Cu's on them.

Hmm, I just got approved for my EVGA step up today. I wonder if my new 8800GT from EVGA will have this new style cooler?

Definitely an improvement. I'd like to get a dB rating on the new fan running at full speed.

I guess the bigger fan will make up for the sloppy thermal paste jobs in the sweat shops lol....

Yeah, sure. Mine is coming in the mail today. Real doubtful it'll have the new cooler.
Talk to the AIB about it.

Hmm, I just got approved for my EVGA step up today. I wonder if my new 8800GT from EVGA will have this new style cooler?
Talk an an EVGA rep. It's likely they'll allow you to have them hold a bit if they don't have the new coolers in yet.

Well they lowed the noise anyway, a good thing, but I wish it cooled better. At least when the fan ramps up it will not drive you crazy.

Not impressed with stock cooler no matter what they do Evga SC at 650 1625 950 runs 57C idle, turn everything down as far as will go 325 815 475 and it still runs 56C idle. Pretty marginal. Fairly strange, never had a cpu or gpu that did not drasticly drop it operating temp when you cut the clock in half. Polishing up the ole gpu water block.

now this is cool news!! (haha)

even though the stock speed only cools 2° better, since it's quiet now you can ramp it up without any problem.

we'll just have to be careful cause it's going to be customer *ss f*cking now with old cooler still being sold to non saavy people.

Clearly testing must of showed Nvidia the old cooler in the first place didn't work well.

You really wonder who approves that sorta stuff.

Let me know if you get the new cooler. If you do, I think my old EVGA 8800GT will need to have an unfortunate accident ...;) Guess I'll need to change my username though :(

I highly doubt my MSI 8800GT will come with a new cooler.. I ordered it on the 24th of Nov. And it should be here 11th December. Any ideas? :(

umm interesting, this is like the alpha dog edition of XFX.
What I would like is the card to be less long but not as big as a full dual slot.

Well, that is definitely an improvement over the old cooler but the temps really haven't changed much. I guess if you want a lower noise level, its better to get the newer revision if you don't go the after market route.

Let me know if you get the new cooler. If you do, I think my old EVGA 8800GT will need to have an unfortunate accident ...;) Guess I'll need to change my username though :(

Will do. I just got approved today, so I will ship mine out tomorrow. Probably use UPS ground just to delay the process a bit. If I had to wager, I would say evga is on to new inventory. I thought the next major batch was due to arrive around Dec 3rd. Hopefully, I get something from a new batch. I'm not a lucky person, so I won't get my hopes up :)

Sweet, now I feel better that I didn't jump on an 8800 GT already. I'll probably pick one up in January or February.

I think its kind of crappy...I stuck an old zalman VF900 on mine and it dropped temps about 20C (kicking around 40-50c) This new cooler seems to drop temps about 3c...not really that much better if you ask me.

I doubt this is legit. XFX has had a cooler on thier alpha dog version of the card identical in size to the "reference" one pictured.

Looks to me like leadtech followed suit and someones assuming that this somehow means everyone else will. I dont see anything from Nvidia backing this up all i see is a leadtech card with a different cooler.

It's not unheard of for manufacturers to modify/improve reference designs.

I think if they weren't in such high demand we'd of seen a few variations by now (possibly a passive one).

so the Alpha Dog edition has a good cooler? I just got it in the mail today. Havnt had a chance to check temps yeet.

so how EXACTLTY will I know which cards are carrying the new cooler before purchase?? Is it a gamble, would calling newegg or whatever store give me the info?

XFX all had bigger fans to begin with as they had a non-reference design at start, it's not a part of the new reference design.

I read that in an article somewhere too but when I look on the XFX site or Newegg the 512MB version fan definitely looks smaller. I hope they're not comparing 256MB vs 512MB temps. BTW, all reference 256MB reviews thus far are showing the bigger fan.

edit: I think that I can read "8800gt / 512mb" on the Leadtek fan sticker though! The pic is a little blurry.

I doubt this is legit. XFX has had a cooler on thier alpha dog version of the card identical in size to the "reference" one pictured.

Looks to me like leadtech followed suit and someones assuming that this somehow means everyone else will. I dont see anything from Nvidia backing this up all i see is a leadtech card with a different cooler.

Looks like at least one person getting the evga brand card got the new cooler. This is obviously a hush hush change, and I would say there are no guarantees for anyone at this point...

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=181590

That would be great if I got the new fan design with my 8800GT SSC coming in today.

Direct from EVGA. Ordered Friday, shipped Monday, arriving today always at the tick of 7PM. I'm the last street on their route every time lol. So we'll see in about 6 hours...

how exactly do you do that?
i check evga daily and it always says backorder
i have never seen it any other way.....

I just changed my order today from the XFX 8800GT to the eVGA version with ETQW included, but I'm 99.9% sure I'll get the old version. Ah well, it's still nice to see they used a fan that's just as effective but at a much lower speed.

I'm probably just gonna get a cooler if the heat/noise is an issue. The accelero S1's the best for the price, right? (like 30-35 bucks with the added fans)

I just changed my order today from the XFX 8800GT to the eVGA version with ETQW included, but I'm 99.9% sure I'll get the old version. Ah well, it's still nice to see they used a fan that's just as effective but at a much lower speed.

I'm probably just gonna get a cooler if the heat/noise is an issue. The accelero S1's the best for the price, right? (like 30-35 bucks with the added fans)

I've had great luck with my Zalman vf900. It costs $32 on newegg. It keeps my 8600GTS at 40c under load, has a fan controller, and it's really quiet. I have a 8800GT coming direct from dell on december 11th. I'll try the Zalman 900vf on that to test the difference between each cooler.

I'm waiting on an order from bby.com....if they ever get new stock, and it comes and has the old cooler and the noise bothers me, I can always return it to the B&M. With how crazy the feeding frenzy has been for these cards, I'm starting to contemplate just waiting a few months.

nope, just got the EVGA 8800GT SSC and it looks like the old cooler, and has the same loud fan sound on POST, although its quiet and artifact free in 3dmark06 which im runnning right now. I think it's got EVGA's new BIOS that has better fan regulation so it doesn't seem to be struggling with heat at all.

and its actually noticeably faster than my BFG 8800GT OC which I RMA'd, minimum framerates are higher and just got 11606 in 3dmark06 with an E6750 @ stock clocks and DDR2-800 at looser 5-5-5-18 timings (rated for 4-4-4-12).

pics of the card and fan... definitely just looks like the plain old cooler.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3165

They're already here.

This one idles at ~110C but passes all benchmarks that these guys put it through.
thats load, not idle.

it idles at 76C, which was apparantly the same as their stock 8800GT, probably using the stock BIOS with crappy fan control. my EVGA 8800GT SSC @ 700/2000 came with the latest BIOS and idles at 63 or 55 if I ramp up my system fans, and this is in a tiny Shuttle SP35P2 Pro. and its whisper quiet at idle and under load. the only time so far I've heard it loud is when it first POSTs and runs the fan at full speed (sounds like a mini leafblower).

Back