8800 GT Woes

archevilangel

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an XFX 8800GT 512mb that has recently developed heavy artifacting leading to crashes when left on for approxamately, but not always exactly, 5 minutes. The artifacts are fixed immediately after reseting the pc, but the behavior repeats itself. This happens regardless of whether I'm playing a game, in windows browsing the internet, or just at the bios screen.

This card has been modified. I have been running a 1.1 volt bios since I got it in November, and I have a thermaltake nd1 on it since December. Obviously the warranty is voided.

I have tried reseating the ND1(and making sure everything makes contact) and reverting back to the original 1.05 volt bios, but it still exhibits the same problems.

I have also tried measuring the voltage of the pci-e auxillary power connector(it measures at 11.98 steady).

Does anyone have any other suggestions I should try? In the mean time I've ordered a 3850 256 mb (kind of low on funds atm) and I'm using my onboard 6100 :(.

System specs in sig.

EDIT: Second question, my lcd's native resolution is 1280x1024 and I only play WoW/CoD4, will I notice a significant difference between my 8800gt and my 3850?

What temps does it run at?
What is the temp when the artifacts appear?

What temps does it run at?
What is the temp when the artifacts appear?

ambient temp 21c
idle temp reported by nvidia driver 41c

it artifacts at idle, seems to be independent of load. When it artifacts the system locks up within a few seconds.

What have you got programmed in the modded BIOS.
Is it just a voltage change or have you changed any of the speeds?

Are you running overclocked on either CPU or gfx card when this happens?

What have you got programmed in the modded BIOS.
Is it just a voltage change or have you changed any of the speeds?

Are you running overclocked on either CPU or gfx card when this happens?
It was just a voltage change, I reverted it back and it still artifacts.

I ran the 8800gt at 700mhz core since I got it, but I've tried reverting back to the stock frequencies and it still artifacts.

The cpu/fsb/ram/pcie bus are all at stock.

I just bought a XFX 8800GT card as well, now I'm totally impressed, talk about great CS, going through public message boards? Awesome.

Sarcasm???? I've never seen someone in CS for hardware components in forums... I don't get some people.

Back