8800 GT Overclock Results Thread

leadtek 8800gt stock

at stock 600core/1500shader/900mem, I'm not crashing TF2 and Crysis was doing great on high settings (noAA) @ around 32fps avg...

But every time I attempt an OC (3 or 4 different variations so far), I'm getting crashes in TF2 when loading the game... Crysis crashes eventually at various times..(display card stopped responding! 700core/1800shader/900mem for example gives me great idle temps (45deg) and nice load temps through atitool (69deg) no artifacts for 10 minutes with fan speed at 49%.. I have great airflow and these load temps seem really good comparatively! 3dmark06 went off without a hitch 12,597 so I dunno why I'm crashing? With my temps it seems like I have tons of potential but I ask what I could be doing wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated! Also, I'm running 169.04s at the moment as they seem to be giving me the best results.. I was even worse off with the .02 drivers...

I'm content with stock speeds as tf2 (140-190fps) and Crysis (32 avg) run fine but I was hoping for my first nvidia card OC..

suggestions?

ATiTool doesn't like anything over 713/1728/999, neither does Crysis.

UT3and 3D06 will take 740/1890/999 with no issues though. (The Demo is maxed at 5 though)

Good news is that 713/1728/999 is definitely Crysis stable. Launching multiple nukes and pitting 300 North Koreans with rifles in a pit against 10 aliens (which only attack me).

I was getting 7 fps but it held up.

But every time I attempt an OC (3 or 4 different variations so far), I'm getting crashes in TF2 when loading the game... Crysis crashes eventually at various times..(display card stopped responding! 700core/1800shader/900mem for example gives me great idle temps (45deg) and nice load temps through atitool (69deg) no artifacts for 10 minutes with fan speed at 49%.. I have great airflow and these load temps seem really good comparatively! 3dmark06 went off without a hitch 12,597 so I dunno why I'm crashing? With my temps it seems like I have tons of potential but I ask what I could be doing wrong?

I see you have a good PSU, well reviewed.
It doesnt seem you are doing anything wrong, it might be a faulty PSU thats not able to handle the load.
Can you try another PSU?

I see you have a good PSU, well reviewed.
It doesnt seem you are doing anything wrong, it might be a faulty PSU thats not able to handle the load.
Can you try another PSU?

Don't have one handy so hopefully that is not the issue!

I'm just going to keep trying to work in different #s and see what happens... currently testing 699/1699/949...

thx..

leadtek 8800gt stock

at stock 600core/1500shader/900mem, I'm not crashing TF2 and Crysis was doing great on high settings (noAA) @ around 32fps avg...

Any advice would be appreciated! Also, I'm running 169.04s at the moment as they seem to be giving me the best results.. I was even worse off with the .02 drivers...

I'm content with stock speeds as tf2 (140-190fps) and Crysis (32 avg) run fine but I was hoping for my first nvidia card OC..

suggestions?

LMAO!!1!!!1!! LOLOLOL.

people are complaining because they get instability when OVERCLOCKING!!??11!!!??!

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??? the only time it *should* be stable is using default clocks. any higher than default one should expect instability, and consider yourself lucky if it is stable when using higher than default.

How high should I expect a stock XFX 8800gt to oc? I'll be using stock cooling for now, but I'm going to strap an HR-03GT on it as soon as they come out.

LMAO!!1!!!1!! LOLOLOL.

people are complaining because they get instability when OVERCLOCKING!!??11!!!??!

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??? the only time it *should* be stable is using default clocks. any higher than default one should expect instability, and consider yourself lucky if it is stable when using higher than default.

you are such an a-hole!
He's pointing out his limits and looking for assistance.
If you cant help then go away.

LMAO!!1!!!1!! LOLOLOL.

///
barbie.com/forums

that should be your kind of hang out. go there pls.

...[H] is supposed to be generally mature. We also are typically prone to taking care of our hardware. I suggest you fix your shift or capslock key. Also, it might be advisable to use only a single exclamation mark, as opposed to repeated interrobangs.

Also, [H] has a fairly strong overclocking bent. While instability at above-standard clocks is a risk, this is a forum that has significant areas dedicated to providing such stability at overclocked speeds.

It seems that, perhaps, you don't belong here.

To Theopolis: Perhaps try just slowly increasing the clocks, say 10MHz at a time until you get crashes? It'll take a while, but you'll probably end up with close to your maximum overclock on stock cooling. From 600 core, try, say, 650 and if that's stable, 660 and so forth.

...[H] is supposed to be generally mature. We also are typically prone to taking care of our hardware. I suggest you fix your shift or capslock key. Also, it might be advisable to use only a single exclamation mark, as opposed to repeated interrobangs.

Also, [H] has a fairly strong overclocking bent. While instability at above-standard clocks is a risk, this is a forum that has significant areas dedicated to providing such stability at overclocked speeds.

To Theopolis: Perhaps try just slowly increasing the clocks, say 10MHz at a time until you get crashes? It'll take a while, but you'll probably end up with close to your maximum overclock on stock cooling. From 600 core, try, say, 650 and if that's stable, 660 and so forth.

Nenu and Neuffy, very much appreciated :cool:

Upon further testing, I think I've reached and am completely satisfied with the following results....No crashes!

699core/1699shader/949mem... Off to the races with this and will try to go further at a later date with dangerden watercooling... thx again!

Upon further testing, I think I've reached and am completely satisfied with the following results....No crashes!

699core/1699shader/949mem... Off to the races with this and will try to go further at a later date with dangerden watercooling... thx again!

Nice one!
I'm looking to get an 8800GT on Tuesday if I can find one in stock in the UK.
No chance today, all awaiting stock or sold out!

Hm...so
600core/1500shader/900mem = stock(stable).
700core/1800shader/900mem = instability.
699core/1699shader/949mem = stable.

700core/1750shader/1000mem = eVGA SSC (only here for reference).

Seems like the memory's not the issue then.
Core shouldn't be either, with only the 1 MHz difference.
Guess the shaders were just too high then. Ah well, you're still doing rather decently.
16.5% Core, 20% shader, 5% memory overclock.

Well, congrats. I guess I'll just be hoping that a ~same/similar~ price, dual-slot cooler comes out by December.

Hm...so
600core/1500shader/900mem = stock(stable).
700core/1800shader/900mem = instability.
699core/1699shader/949mem = stable.

700core/1750shader/1000mem = eVGA SSC (only here for reference).

Seems like the memory's not the issue then.
Core shouldn't be either, with only the 1 MHz difference.
Guess the shaders were just too high then. Ah well, you're still doing rather decently.
16.5% Core, 20% shader, 5% memory overclock.

Well, congrats. I guess I'll just be hoping that a ~same/similar~ price, dual-slot cooler comes out by December.

thx! I could probably try bumping the shader a bit but at this point I'm having too much fun playing stable now :D

did you check who started this thread? ME. i know more about overclocking than you and consider it mandatory unless you're a newb. that being said, you completely missed the point of my post, in this thread started by me. the point is don't say something is "wrong" when you have crashes when overclocked. crashes when overclocked are the norm, not the exception. to make it even easier for you to understand, I simply don't like his use of the word "wrong".

did you check who started this thread? ME. i know more about overclocking than you and consider it mandatory unless you're a newb. that being said, you completely missed the point of my post, in this thread started by me. the point is don't say something is "wrong" when you have crashes when overclocked. crashes when overclocked are the norm, not the exception. to make it even easier for you to understand, I simply don't like his use of the word "wrong".

Oh jeez please forgive me Lawmaker :rolleyes:

As a noob looking for simple advice, I asked if I could be doing something wrong that could be taken under advisement from helpful guides through a helpful forum. Obviously not from you!

thanks for lending a hand anyways...

And special thanks to the nice people on the board who help the noobs find their way!

LOL, ok i forgive you. anyone whose sense of humor is developed enough to say something like "Lawmaker" gets an A+ in my book. dude i can be the MOST helpful person anywhere. i need a chill though, sometimes, more often than most.

LOL, ok i forgive you. anyone whose sense of humor is developed enough to say something like "Lawmaker" gets an A+ in my book. dude i can be the MOST helpful person anywhere. i need a chill though, sometimes, more often than most.

No worries! thx for the post..

BFG 8800GT from Best Buy :cool:

Taking it really slow but right now completely stable at 675 / 1850. Temps on load in the upper 60s.

Yep, I noticed the threadstarter. Not quite sure where the claim about knowing more about overclocking than me came from...but let's leave it.

It would, perhaps, have been easier to get the point of your post if you'd just said that his usage of the word "wrong" was inappropriate. A simple, less capitalized explanation would have sufficed. And yeah, it's not a hardware defect when overclocked equipment fails, but rather a bonus when it doesn't. It's certainly not a "something is wrong with my card" issue if it's rock-solid at stock, and crashes at 5% over stock. Sure is nice that equipment doesn't tend to die outright from overheating anymore...

I thought card #1 wasn't such a great overclocker (720/2090 - crashes in Crysis) but it looks like card #2 is even worse.

BFG 8800gt oc
685 Core
2020 Memory

:(

Leadtek 8800GT (With Zalman VF900cu)

Core @ 733Mhz
Memory @2040

(Tested ATI tool, 3d Mark, Crysis)

However choose to at 700/2000 as its a nice round figure overclock, and don't thing the extra stress is worth it.

PNY 8800GT from newegg.

700/2000

730 artifacts and I haven't pushed the memory higher than 1000. Fan speed set to 100% with rivatuner (came from 2900, this is QUIET) 65*C full load.

EVGA SC 8800GT, only bothered overclocking the core for a bit of a boost. More than satisfied. Using Rivatuner with the fan set at 65% to keep things reasonably cool. 48-52c idle / 63-72c under load depending on the enviornment. Noise levels are nothing like my old 2900XT. Couldn't boost the fan speed at all on it without the leaf-blower effect kicking in.

Core 700 / Shader 1625 / Memory 1900

Bishock, Qwake Wars Etc all play beautifully. I did run into one problem however with my son's Star Wars Battlefront II game which appeared to aritfact and cause a reboot on a certain level of the game, but I believe this is a game issue and not a card issue as temps never exceeded 62c during game-play and it's a buggy game to begin with. I can also play Bisoshock, Quake Wars, or the Crysis Demo all night long without an issue or hiccupp. On the plus side my son can now play his Ultimate Spider-man game again. With the 2900XT the game wouldn't even start and crashed to the desktop on launch. It now plays absoulutely fine with the Nvidia 8800GT. So win one and lose one for the GT.

3DMark Scores with 700 core:

05: 19,642
06: 12,225

leadtek 8800gt stock

suggestions?

With my card, ASUS 8800GT, Crysis crashes also at stock speeds, i have to low the gram clocks to 1700 to make it stable for hours (looping GPU Bench of Crysis)...

Its funny i had to lower the stock gram's clocks... but at least my core goes over 725 without a problem and shaders over 1800mhz also ;) But i have to set the gram clocks to 1700 for sure.

With my card, ASUS 8800GT, Crysis crashes also at stock speeds, i have to low the gram clocks to 1700 to make it stable for hours (looping GPU Bench of Crysis)...

Its funny i had to lower the stock gram's clocks... but at least my core goes over 725 without a problem and shaders over 1800mhz also ;) But i have to set the gram clocks to 1700 for sure.

Whats a gram clock?

BFG 8800 GT OC (from Bestbuy)

685/1740/975 so far, looks pretty stable.

Just added a vcool under my card so im going to give it a day and see if i can squeeze alittle more out of it.

Im using the nvidia stress test and hours upon hours of eq2. Ive run 3dmark and got around 10k even.

Seems ive for sure hit a wall with the shader clock, if i go to 1750 it will crash nvidia stress test....doing each clock alone so more testing to be had.

ALSO...anyone noticed that rivatuner will not let you overclock just your 3d? anytime i change it it changes both of them at the sametime.

Would system hardware detain the full OCing potential of my 8800GT? I can currently get around 667 with my BGF. heats up tho. What programs are best for OCing? nTune? Can someone give me a tutorial link, never really OC'd gpus before

Would system hardware detain the full OCing potential of my 8800GT? I can currently get around 667 with my BGF. heats up tho. What programs are best for OCing? nTune? Can someone give me a tutorial link, never really OC'd gpus before

You need to jack-up your fan speed to whatever you can live with. I have mine set at 65% now and find it reasonable. Some have it at 50%while others have it higher than mine. I use Rivatuner 2.06 which was just released and is fully compatible with the 8800GT.

Download link: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Guide: http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449/1/

Support Forum: http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

It doesn't detain the OC potential, but what it does it bottleneck your GPU performance.

A voltmodder on XS bumped his core from 700 to 800 and showed no increase in 3DMark06.

Except with that GPU it'll be way less. You will obviously notice a difference, but it will be held back.

It doesn't detain the OC potential, but what it does it bottleneck your GPU performance.

A voltmodder on XS bumped his core from 700 to 800 and showed no increase in 3DMark06.

Except with that GPU it'll be way less. You will obviously notice a difference, but it will be held back.

I noticed this exact thing....if i run it at 700/1750/1000 i get 264 in CSS stress test, i dropped it to 685/1740/975, i get 265fps....

It seems that once it hits its limit its performance goes down a tad.

I think someone forgot to take his Valium.

I was thinking of going from 8800 GTS to 8800 GT (already sold my GTS on eBay and temporarily running 7300LE *Lame Edition*)

But after seeing the results in this thread and the resultant 3dmark scores, it seems like going from a highly OC'ed GTS to a highly OC'ed GT would be pretty much a sidestep.

Guess I'll wait for the next big thing :(

Well After a good day of nonstop playing games. 8800gt EVGA KO

730 core

2000mhz ram

Wont go beyond that, but hey who is bitchin still owns :)

Havent tried to o/c the shader clocks, dont know of a program to use. Rivatuner wasnt working properly, anyone have advice?

Evga SSC 770/1786/2000 3DMark06 14400. Rig in sig except 3dmark was run in XP.

AtiTool gives me a few blips at 780 (nothing visible but it dings and restarts the clock every so often so I set it back a little). Stock cooler with fan @ 70%, load max temp is 64.

No love on the shaders though. Reason I put 1786 is because thats what Rivatuners hardware monitoring detects. I can put it to 1800 (still detects 1786) but anything over that and Rivatuner detects it at 1836 and I start getting errors so shaders obviously still jump in certain steps even though I've selected to clock them independently.

nevermind, didnt know they released a new rivatuner works great

730 core

1800 shader

2000 ram

Back