8700k - is this normal? This can't be normal.

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by viivo, Mar 9, 2018.

1. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

Just got my 8700k and MSI Z370 Gaming M5 in. Cooler is NZXT Kraken x62 AIO. In CPU-Z, just running bench CPU (not stress) immediately ramps the CPU temp to 61c and climbs some from there. All settings are default, latest BIOS. HWINFO64 reports vcore (not vid) is hitting 1.384.

2. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

You might have a bad seating on the pump / cpu. Maybe un-seat, reapply AS5 if you have it. I wouldn't suggest using the stock tim that comes with AIO water cooling solutions. When you re-tighten down, do not tighten down one corner all the way down, go back and forth diagonally from side to side only tightening down a 1/3 of the way until you've got it on nice and snug . Most designs if not all provide a stopping point so you do not over-tighten. Make sure you tighten to that point. This will ensure you have as an evenly as possible and nice connection between the CPU and Pump.

Update us.

Also, here is an excellent overclocking guide. Try and follow it if you can. Not sure what the MSI bios settings are or how they compare to Asus. I only use Asus on builds.

The reason I suggest you follow the guide is that you do not need to be at 1.384 unless you are 5.0 - 5.3Ghz. And in fact, 1.384v sounds like an 'auto' setting to me. For 4.8ghz and 4.9ghz which most 8700K's will get, you should only be at max, 1.33v - 1.35v

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Armenius likes this.
  3. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

Yea, I was going to suggest the contact with the cooler being the issue as well.

If it's anything like on the AM4, I can say that there will be plenty of things that a named differently, not to mention lots of things the MSI will be lacking that the ASUS will have (especially considering the boards being in different tiers). Should still be able to figure it all out though, it'll just take some brainwork to sort out the difference in naming of some settings.

4. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

I agree with SixFootDuo, vcore is way to high due to aggressive adaptive voltage, so either you set it manually or have a negative offset in vcore. Also by default, I believed enhance turbo (MCE) is enable even if your setting is stock, you might want to check that too.

Armenius likes this.
  5. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

I just reseated the CPU and reapplied thermal compound, but I think I saw the problem upon booting into BIOS - somehow, the default/auto setting for vcore was putting it at 1.3v. I reset CMOS and will see if that changed anything

6. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

By any chance is your enhance turbo setting enable? Because that is auto overclocking.

7. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

It was Auto but I just now set it to Disabled. Hopefully this fixes things. I don't want to dive into overclocking yet, just trying to get default running cool and stable.

8. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

In all of my experiences, the 8700k runs EXTREMELY Hot, even if you have really good cooling. You need to deliding them to get the full performance out of this crazy chip.

9. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

My H115i seems to not sweat the 8700k...

0ptional likes this.
  10. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

HWINFO64 still shows vcore jumping to 1.384, even with a negative offset in BIOS and when almost nothing is happening in resource monitor. What else can I change to bring this down?

11. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

How big is your offset? Also is that idle vcore?

12. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

Nearly idle, HWINFO all threads max usage under 20%. I see the temp jump to 49, 54, etc. when nothing is reportedly happening. Maybe that's normal, I don't know.

13. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Not normal, I have an MSI Z370m gaming board, negative offset of 0.10 vcore, enhance turbo off, I idle around 1.1volt with temp around high 20s to low 30s C with an Corsair H100i V2. Your NZXT AIO should be adequate at idle.

Have you just try manually setting vcore to 1.1 volt?

viivo likes this.
  14. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

Are you using Adaptive as well or just offset?

I will try manually setting it.

15. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Adaptive + offset. Just curious, is your AIO connected to the motherboard?

16. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

No, I don't use any of the LED or monitoring crap. It's connected directly to a SATA power connector.

edit: set it to 1.1, staying right there in HWINFO no matter what I do. Guess I have to wait until it crashes since it's not changing on its own.

17. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

How is the temp?

18. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

Idling around 26C. I've been playing FFXIV for 30 minutes, max temp has been 39.

19. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Great! I feel the Z370 boards have too aggressive adaptive voltage to ensure stability with MCE on and somehow bork it when MCE is turn off.

Speedeu4ia and viivo like this.
  20. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the help. I know this isn't a permanent solution, but until I can start messing with the adaptive + offset setting it should work fine.

21. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

No problem, at least your CPU temperature is back at an ideal range of 20s-30s C. I read another member of [H] have a negative offset of 0.60 while using adaptive + offset, so you may have to be that aggressive with the offset.

22. Speedeu4ia

Speedeu4ia Limp Gawd

My gigabyte z270 is broken like that. I had to use -.060v and not touch LLC. Which gave 1.28vcore which was good for 4.8ghz on 7700k. Any LLC adjustment would make vcore even higher.

Apparently since they moved the voltage control to the Mobo, half of the Mobo makers did a half assed job setting it up. It ends up working good with an OC but it could never run stock as the vcore would be way higher then is needed or the offset would be too large to idle stable with less than .750v instead of the normal .8v

Chimpee likes this.
  23. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

I think the aggressive voltage is so it copes with AVX.
    You should be able to configure AVX loads on your motherboard so when AVX isnt in use it uses lower voltage.
    I'm still on a 170 board so cant verify how.

24. Speedeu4ia

Speedeu4ia Limp Gawd

This is somewhat true for me as I get different vcores depending on avx vs non avx p95 bit it's still too high for non avx

25. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

are you actually using anything that uses avx?

26. Jayy88

Jayy88 [H]Lite

Shouldn't be that hottt, unless something wrong with the Kraken. they just run hot anyways pretty much though...why I want to try another block don't really get the best temps either...it probably don't help having an aluminum base/coldplate and whatever Acetal Acrylic top....found another pump too with alittle more oomph.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  27. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

or the voltage is still too high, could try manually setting everything.

28. Jayy88

Jayy88 [H]Lite

Yeah manually and turn and set low or turn off LLC vdroop etc...makes it run hotter too and the overshoot...

pendragon1 likes this.
  29. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

The kraken coldplate is copper. I replaced an H110 with the x62 and saw no difference on a highly overclocked 6600k.

30. manbat

manbat n00b

Delid delid delid delid delid delid
    Did i forget to say delid?

31. GetFunk01

GetFunk01 Gawd

61c is not hot at all

32. Jayy88

Jayy88 [H]Lite

You might see some difference with gallium...I did before need to try that again...that's safe but don't use it on aluminum....

33. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Not everyone wants to risk killing their $350 cpu or losing warranty. CPU rarely die within warranty tho.

34. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

I am realizing for 6 cores and HT, that's true. Coming from a 6600k at 4600 and nearly 1.3v that didn't go past 55c running Prime, it seemed strange that so little utilization pushed the 8700 over 60.

Speedeu4ia likes this.
  35. Jayy88

Jayy88 [H]Lite

to stop going past 70c probably is delid stuff....you could try everything stuff is still gonna want to idle 30-35c and want to go to 80-85+c. fantastic Loop huge hoses and crazy pump still don't want to stop it....it is delid written allllll over it.

Man that guy needs to send me that ncore block to try out man...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  36. jeffo911

jeffo911 n00b

Yeah 61 is not hot at all...I would still throttle down the voltage and go back through the overclocking process. As long as it is under 80 under full load I would not worry, for a 8700k atleast.

37. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

Rapid temperature increase in the start is normal due to sensor location. And as said, 60C is almost in the cold definition area.

38. tkoons000

tkoons000 n00b

got rid of mine too hot for my liking

39. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I am fascinated by the pervasive fixation on the internal temps of CFL. They are very clearly designed to function in this range without concern. As some have indicated, I'd adjust things to keep it under 80c, and really, stop worrying about it.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  40. Revenant_Knight

Revenant_Knight Limp Gawd

My 8700 non-k was thermal throttling at 100C until I realized my Asus Stryx was pushing up to 1.4V to the CPU on AUTO. I had to manually limit my voltage to get it to run at a reasonable temp.