865PE, best S478 Chipset, but now...

truflip

Limp Gawd
Which board should I get?
Theres an ASUS with a proven track record: http://www.cas-tech.ca/product.asp?PID=5951

and an MSI.. which I didnt know existed: http://www.cas-tech.ca/product.asp?PID=6209

AFAIK, they are the exact same board, jus different company and layout..
I cant see the difference, can anyone help me out because the ASUS is $113 while the MSI is $85.. either theres something important the MSI is missing or the ASUS is waaaaaaaaay overpriced.

The ASUS has a gigabit ethernet port. Worth it IMO.

Robert

what does that do exactly? how will it benefit me? and what does the MSI have? half a gigabit?

10/100 mb LAN (so roughly 1/10th of the speed of the gigabit ethernet...theoretical bandwidth anyway). Personally, I wouldn't notice the difference since I do mostly web browsing, but if you're moving large files between networked computers, then it might be worth it.

I've used the P4P800 Deluxe for years and just recently moved it out of my personal computer rotation. It's been a good board. I had an 865PE MSI board also, but the USB and PS2 ports stopped working for some reason (never figured it out and can't get to the bios to look around since the ports don't work).

Asus boards have been and continue to be the leader in the motherboard arena; there are others that have closed the gap in recent years like Abit & MSI but asus still remains king overall >>>> they will be a few dollars higher in most models >>>>> if the MSI were priced the same >>>> everyone would grab the Asus so the only way they can sell a board that is equall in perfromance and most likely it WILL be close; is to be a tad cheaper

I have run and built hords of P4P800-E dlx systems: they are rock solid and very depeandbale and their onboard audio is far superior >>> if you like music

you should be able to pick up the board listed above for the same price or damn close

remember >>>>> you wont remember the good feeling saving $20.00 when the board doesnt need your expectations >>>> or you find out later why the leader IS the leader

although >>>>> I will admit >>>> I like Abit boards alot tooooooooooo

truflip said:
what does that do exactly? how will it benefit me? and what does the MSI have? half a gigabit?

Actually, it has 1/10th of a gig throughput. An order of magnitude slower. Only matters if your server and wireplant can support gigabit parts.

On the other hand, it's hard to suggest Asus and MSI are on the same plane. Asus has been a top tier maufacturer for years. Day in, day out, they've done a pretty good job. Like Abit and Gigabyte. I am still paying the (bad cap quality) price for buying MSI motherboards for a year or so.

You have to figure it out with your own experience.

im looking at the SE, not Deluxe because the deluxe is another 20$ more..
Im assuming they are the same with the deluxe having a bit of extra goodies .. same chipset 865PE..

As for the 1gigabit ethernet. i will never use that. this is for my girlfriends PC. she only has one and i dont think she'll ever network computers untill she gets a laptop which she doesnt really need. so the 1gigbit ethernet is of no matter

are MSI boards really bad quality compared to ASUS? the current board she has right now is an ASUS P4SD-LA that came from her compaq.. its those proprietory boards that HP/Compaq puts in their towers (crappy BIOS)

No the MSI line is not crappy >>>>>>>> they are very good actually >>>>>> given the fact that you have now furnished us with more info >>>> I can say for sure the MSI board you have listed is a very good choice.

enjoy:

Buy the Asus. Ive had 2 and never had any problems. Im on one now with a 3.0 clocked to 3.6 24/7 no probs.

MSI's boards are always 2nd choice if you can get an Asus instead IMO.

As the "proud" owner of an Asus P4P800 Deluxe, I'm gonna have to say, go MSI. I've had three of MSI's boards with no problems, and three P4P's that have been RMA'd for board failures- two bad chipset memory controllers, and one bad ethernet PHY. Definitely get the MSI.

Have been thru 2 P4P800SE boards, great quality boards and awesome overclockers. Highly recommended.

for one of my systems I use P4P800 and it's awesome.
Like 280FSB and higher is posible with good RAM.
In stock SPD settings with good RAM modules that can work in Turbo setup it preforms as good as P4C800 (875 chipset)
It works for years and it shows no signs of getting old. On other side friend of mine allready changed few Gigabyte mainboard (best model with 875 chipset) because small hooks wich are soldered on mobo to keep small north hub heaatsink on mobo desoldered!!!

Well thats my 2 cents.

MD

Thanks everyone for your input.. I decided to get the MSI, but when I asked for one, they didn't have any in stock.. asked to order, and supplier dont sell the MSI anymore, instead I'm suggested with this: http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8IPE1000-G.htm#

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000G.. its the same price as the ASUS..
between the 2, I think I would go for the ASUS.
but your input is always appreciated =]

hmm.. me too, but then again im not afraid to try other brands.. anyone else have a say in this? :)

I just bought an asus p4p800-se that I don't need. I need a mobo w/ pci-x. PM if you're interested.

linderman said:
Asus boards have been and continue to be the leader in the motherboard arena; there are others that have closed the gap in recent years like Abit & MSI but asus still remains king overall >>>> they will be a few dollars higher in most models >>>>> if the MSI were priced the same >>>> everyone would grab the Asus so the only way they can sell a board that is equall in perfromance and most likely it WILL be close; is to be a tad cheaper

I have run and built hords of P4P800-E dlx systems: they are rock solid and very depeandbale and their onboard audio is far superior >>> if you like music

you should be able to pick up the board listed above for the same price or damn close

remember >>>>> you wont remember the good feeling saving $20.00 when the board doesnt need your expectations >>>> or you find out later why the leader IS the leader

although >>>>> I will admit >>>> I like Abit boards alot tooooooooooo

Yea the IC7 Max 3 was probally the best overclocking 478 board ever made. I hold the P4C800E a close second. However they still have INSANE values on the used market still.

Used Max3s with all the accesories are still getting 230-240. They only sold brand new for 180-190.

When I had to sell off all my P4 stuff, I got over $200 for my P4C800E - Deluxe.

Weren't the 875 Chipset boards (and a few SELECT 865 boards) the only ones with the Intel Gbit LAN that had the "special" link directly to the northbridge, while the vast majority of the 865 boards had the Gbit through the PCI bus...which as we all know isn't worth a damn when combined with Gbit stuffs.

Spazilton what currency do u use?
btw I think im convinced on the P4P800-SE
I can also get the deluxe but my budget is only $120 canadian dollars
so the $113$ SE will do me fine... right?

Back